Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

ABCT and a-priorism

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
390 Posts
Points 7,705
Prashanth Perumal posted on Thu, May 2 2013 12:52 AM

I have been studying the ABCT for the past two months, and while most of the theory makes sense to me, there is one that puts me in doubt.

As argued in the ABCT, an increase in the proportion of savings against consumption leads to the addition of new stages to the production structure. What I'm skeptical about is: when we assume increase in savings would necessarily cause more roundabout methods of production to be adopted, aren't we assuming that there are more roundabout techniques of production available?

If so, shouldn't the validity of the ABCT be tested empirically rather than being asserted as an a-priori conclusion?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

"when we assume increase in savings would necessarily cause more roundabout methods of production to be adopted, aren't we assuming that there are more roundabout techniques of production available?"

Yes, because this is a very realistic assumption. However, if this were not the case then we would either see a broadening of the production structure at the later stages of production, or if even this wasn't profitable we would see a precipitous fall in the rate of interest (the demand for loans would be vertical beyond that point because more revenue couldn't be received throughout the economy as a whole). Such a state of affairs is unlikely to ever occur

"If so, shouldn't the validity of the ABCT be tested empirically rather than being asserted as an a-priori conclusion?"

How?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875

This paper by Hulsmann may be of interest. http://www.guidohulsmann.com/pdf/Time_Preference_Investment_Expenditure.pdf

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
87 Posts
Points 1,215
Albert replied on Thu, May 2 2013 10:21 AM

Prashanth,

In my humble opinion it is not only the ABCT or for that matter the Austrians that believe that savings lead to the addition of new stages to the production cycle.

I think everybody giving it some thought will agree that the way any business gets more efficient, more competitive, more profitable is by adding capital goods to the production cycle- which requires either the businessman himself to save up some capital to buy these or borrow from another lender. who saved up the capital himself.

It is not necessarily the argument that savings "CAUSE" more roundabout processes, rather savings or low interest rates provide "incentive" for businessmen to improve production. All businessmen want to improve production. There is no end to the advancement of technology and additional ways to improve production in any industry, the only limiting factor is lack of available funds at an affordable rate.. Hence it is safe to assume that should conditions become favorable, most businessmen will avail themselves of it. Those that don't become less competitive and die.

Lets say a group of businessmen decide to hire 1000 workers to dig the Panama Canal by hand. They can get 1000 workers to volunteer right away. (But the project might not be finished in their lifetime.)

So they decide to  temporarily slow down the process by saving and adding additional steps, save up capital or borrow at low interest to put in an order for 1000 shovels (or start the shovel factory themselves) . It takes 30 days for the order to be filled and they start working.

Or they could use a larger amount of capital and order mechanical hand held jackhammers  and finish the job in twenty  years, or they could buy cranes and bulldozers and earth movers etc.and be done in two. You do not need empirical testing to know the majority of businessmen  will choose the most efficient way they can afford (determined by available credit and the interest they have to pay)

Where the Austrians come in is, they use this universal argument to prove that savings are not bad for the economy like some Keynesians claim.

How would you test it empirically anyway? Compare efficient businessmen with inefficient ones?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
32 Posts
Points 385
Monroe replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:02 AM
Great response Albert! Yeah, I would only need to reference the variability of this example and how, while still remaining logical, refutes usage of empirical testing. Savings does necessarily provide long term efficiency, albeit short term stagnation...but that long term efficiency is dependent upon the businessman's choice. This is how human action comes into the "equation."
"...if there is one thing that stings people just enough to commit violence, it is the feeling of powerlessness." - Monroe "yes, I just quoted myself..." - Monroe
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS