Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What have Austrians been wrong about?

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
57 Posts
Points 1,665
Austen posted on Tue, May 7 2013 9:36 PM

1. What have Austrians been wrong about in general?

2. What have Austrians wrongly predicted?

3. What have Austrians wrongly predicted that Keynesians have correctly predicted?

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

I don't deny that the possibility for hyperinflation is there, but it takes a whole lot of confidence diminishment before it will happen.  There also has to be an alternative for the three international dollar-demand sources that I mentioned.  Mainstream IPE scholars are more Austrian than regular economists.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 95

It just takes a few people to lose confidence.  Then as they get out of bonds and buy real things the central bank monetizes more and prices go up a bit.  This then causes a few more people to lose confidence.  Eventually you get an avalanche and lots of lost confidence.   But it does not take a lot to start the feedback loop.

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:28 AM

Is your avatar you and your girlfriend/wife?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 95

Yes

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

The Austrian treatment of air I always found confusing: a non-scarce good is one which is superfluous regarding the fullfilment of wants and/or the production of a consumer good.

However air is considered a non-scarce good even though you do have to make a conscious effort to breath, so how can air be non-scarce unless you define scarce air as perhaps "breathable air" and non-scarce air as just potentially breathable air.

Also, if something is non-scarce does that mean it is infinite in supply? And if so, is air really infinite?

Also, I think Rothbard wrote an inadequate proof that there must always be 2 factors of production when he could simply say that by definition, 2 factors are needed to produce something since if only 1 factor were needed, then that factor would be the produced thing and the acts of consumption and production would be the same (which is impossible).

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 5:57 AM

Here's a thread on the scarcity of air: http://archive.freecapitalists.org/forums/t/31127.aspx

Top 150 Contributor
666 Posts
Points 13,120
Everything
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS