Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

IRS Employees Outraged over Budget Cuts, Threaten Fewer Audits

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 205
The Firewall Posted: Wed, May 8 2013 4:34 PM

IRS workers protest over sequestration, agency claims furloughs will hurt taxpayers | Economic Collapse News

The National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU), which represents workers for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), organized nationwide protests Tuesday arguing that the sequestration would eliminate approximately $600 million from the IRS budget this year. Due to the reduction in the rate of spending increases, 100,000 employees will be furloughed starting May 24.
According to protest organizers, the IRS garners 93 percent of the revenue used to fund the federal government. Demonstrators said each $1 invested in the tax collection agency brings in a $7 return, which they say will mean diminished revenues and a heightened deficit because operations will not reach maximum capacity for five days between May 24 and Aug. 30 – an additional two days are being discussed for sometime in August or September.
One of the protests took place in downtown Manhattan, where IRS workers yelled out chants and held neon-colored placards. Some of the talking points included taxpayers experiencing the impacts due to longer wait times for assistance and fewer audits. Workers say they will also take a financial hit because they will miss a week’s worth of pay.

via IRS workers protest over sequestration, agency claims furloughs will hurt taxpayers | Economic Collapse News.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, May 8 2013 4:44 PM

This is the most beautiful news I have heard in a long time!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

They need to do this over at Medicare.  The audits they hand out are costing taxpayers SO much money.  My company is really suffering from the costs of responding to them.  We have patients whose medical equipment hasn't been paid for in years, literally, and we're still patiently providing service and responding to level after level of review.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:31 PM

Demonstrators said each $1 invested in the tax collection agency brings in a $7 return

See, this is what your common burglar needs to do to improve his image. Put it in terms of how much he pays to rob a house (gasoline, mask, gloves) versus his return.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

No no, you've got it all wrong. The common burglar has to break into your house. You invite the IRS into your house, after they threaten you with an audit. Quite civilized, I say.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

This is the most beautiful news I have heard in a long time!

Clayton -

+1 It read like a prospectus for further budget cuts lol

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Who in their right mind would ever protest on the side of the IRS?  they have got to be the most disliked ABC organization out there.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS