Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anarcho Communism

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Tue, May 1 2012 2:04 PM

Are there any other answers to the original post? Are anarcho-communists in fact anarcho-capitalists?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Really, Eugene?  You don't see a difference between capitalists and communists?  Ancaps believe in private property and the private accumulation of capital in addition to a free market.  Ancoms believe that private property and the private accumulation of capital is evil...In what way is this the same?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, May 1 2012 4:10 PM

If you bend the rules a little bit then they are not incompatable with each other. Anarcho-communism can exist within anarcho-capitalism, but not the other way around. 

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Thu, May 3 2012 2:45 PM

Of course anarcho-communism can exist in an an-cap framework! A family for example is a totally communist structure.

However I'm not sure how would anarcho-communism even work. Here is a very good article about it.
http://attackthesystem.com/free-market-anarcho-communism/

However I'm not sure he presents the contrarguments well.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

I keep seeing people claiming homesteading unowned/unused land is legitimate... but why?  And where is this land that is unowned, unused, or can be traced through a succession of abandonement and/or trade, without conquestive claims to "property" in the middle?

We can go on all day about guys in the desert, or Cicero the slum lord, etc.  But the fact is, if a property claimant leverages his title against the welfare of the common people, they will react, often with violence.  You can call this coercion, or aggression.  It doesn't matter.  It will happen, because any claims to property, even "private property," is social in nature.  As such, it must be utiltitarian to society.

(If it's going to f up the thread, plz don't answer.  I'm not looking to get into a flame war with certain posters.)

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Laotzu del Zinn:

I keep seeing people claiming homesteading unowned/unused land is legitimate... but why?

Don't worry, we don't have to get into a flame war, but seeing as you haven't defined what you mean by "legitimate", there really is no way for anyone to know what you are trying to say.  You might as well be saying:

"I keep seeing people claiming homesteading unowned/unused land is blabalsdfaopsgha;ljrgal;fjs... but why?"

Well, until we know what that jumble of letters means, we really have no idea what you are trying to say.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

gotlucky:

Laotzu del Zinn:

I keep seeing people claiming homesteading unowned/unused land is legitimate... but why?

Don't worry, we don't have to get into a flame war, but seeing as you haven't defined what you mean by "legitimate", there really is no way for anyone to know what you are trying to say.  You might as well be saying:

"I keep seeing people claiming homesteading unowned/unused land is blabalsdfaopsgha;ljrgal;fjs... but why?"

Well, until we know what that jumble of letters means, we really have no idea what you are trying to say.

It's a tricky word, because what is legitimate to you may not be to me.  Basically I mean, why should anyone respect the claim to property, even if it came from unowned, unused, and/or was traded, any more or less than if it was conquered?  

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

It's a tricky word, because what is legitimate to you may not be to me.  Basically I mean, why should anyone respect the claim to property, even if it came from unowned, unused, and/or was traded, any more or less than if it was conquered?  

So your question can be boiled down to "why should anyone respect the claim to property?"

My answer: So that people can live in peaceful and free society.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

gotlucky:

So your question can be boiled down to "why should anyone respect the claim to property?"

My answer: So that people can live in peaceful and free society.

Then my response would be; then people should respect the claims of the conqueror, because it is a "claim to property," so they can live in a peaceful and free society.  Mises.org's stock answers I am familiar with, and are not going to work.

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:38 AM

Another extremely interesting discussion about this can be found here:

http://board.freedomainradio.com/forums/t/21514.aspx?PageIndex=1

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, May 4 2012 7:36 AM

Laotzu del Zinn:

Then my response would be; then people should respect the claims of the conqueror, because it is a "claim to property," so they can live in a peaceful and free society.  Mises.org's stock answers I am familiar with, and are not going to work.

To rape is make love, to conquer is to make peace...
If you don't know the difference between making war (conquering) and peace, then it seems you're not able to handle even the stock answers.

TL;DR answer: The stock answer still stands.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

excel:

Laotzu del Zinn:

To rape is make love, to conquer is to make peace...
If you don't know the difference between making war (conquering) and peace, then it seems you're not able to handle even the stock answers.

... this is what I'm saying about trying to discuss around here... ugh

That was my point.  I asked why should anyone respect the owner's claim any more or less than a conquerer's.  He responded "So your question can be boiled down to 'why should anyone respect the claim to property?'

My answer: So that people can live in peaceful and free society "

Ie, we should respect claims to property so that people can live in a free and peaceful society.  Am I wrong in this conclusion?  Why is it ME that is the one with an incoherent position when I am not the one that said we should respect a conqueror's claim to property to live in a free and peaceful society?

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Tue, May 8 2012 5:24 AM

Except your entire bullshit argument hinges on the recognition of property rights of the conqueror and the property owner being equally conducive to a peaceful society.

Which means you believe that someone who conquers is as peaceful as someone who either homesteads or trades.

Which means you're an idiot.

Thus, you can't even handle the mises forums stock responses.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

excel:

Except your entire bullshit argument hinges on the recognition of property rights of the conqueror and the property owner being equally conducive to a peaceful society.

Which means you believe that someone who conquers is as peaceful as someone who either homesteads or trades.

Which means you're an idiot.

Thus, you can't even handle the mises forums stock responses.

Conqueror: I claim this land as my own and will bring violence upon you if you disagree.

Homesteader: I claim this land as my own and will bring violence upon you if you disagree.

USA: conquered the land and created a relatively stable and peaceful society within their own borders (relatively).

Congo Free State: bought the land and created a abhorrently violent situation which quickly collapsed.

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I found this absolutely hysterical and thought that it would positively contribute to this thread:

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Wed, May 9 2012 12:45 AM

Laotzu del Zinn:

Conqueror: I claim this land as my own and will bring violence upon you if you disagree.

Homesteader: I claim this land as my own and will bring violence upon you if you disagree.

Fail.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

excel:

Laotzu del Zinn:

Fail.

I agree; property is fail.

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Wed, May 9 2012 4:20 AM

Laotzu del Zinn:

Speechless, eh?

Page 2 of 2 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS