Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Guy calls Austrian Theory: The Hangover Theory

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Points 6,535
Voievod Posted: Thu, Sep 4 2008 8:32 AM

A few weeks ago, a journalist devoted a substantial part of a profile of yours truly to my failure to pay due attention to the "Austrian theory" of the business cycle—a theory that I regard as being about as worthy of serious study as the phlogiston theory of fire. Oh well. But the incident set me thinking—not so much about that particular theory as about the general worldview behind it. Call it the overinvestment theory of recessions, or "liquidationism," or just call it the "hangover theory." It is the idea that slumps are the price we pay for booms, that the suffering the economy experiences during a recession is a necessary punishment for the excesses of the previous expansion.

The hangover theory is perversely seductive—not because it offers an easy way out, but because it doesn't. It turns the wiggles on our charts into a morality play, a tale of hubris and downfall. And it offers adherents the special pleasure of dispensing painful advice with a clear conscience, secure in the belief that they are not heartless but merely practicing tough love.

Liquidationist views played an important role in the spread of the Great Depression—with Austrian theorists such as Friedrich von Hayek and Joseph Schumpeter strenuously arguing, in the very depths of that depression, against any attempt to restore "sham" prosperity by expanding credit and the money supply. And these same views are doing their bit to inhibit recovery in the world's depressed economies at this very moment.

http://www.slate.com/id/9593

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 35
Points 650

No way out huh?

Murray Rothbard only said "stop counterfeiting the frickin' money, already" a million times in his life.

There's a way out of hangovers too... quit being an alcoholic.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This must be Krugman's nonsense. David Gordon dissected his ignorant blathering in a review. Search for his name and Krugman's on the LVMI site.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Obviously I am not the scholar some are, but I will attempt to write a rebuttal and post it to slate.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Is it even worth it? Check how old that article is.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wow, I saw the 4th, and assumed it was from today.  Thanks Jon.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS