Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why are we not moving to somalia?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 415 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630
fezwhatley posted on Sat, Oct 4 2008 6:07 PM

if we want a stateless society, why dont a team of private investors and political refugees colonize Somalia

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 285

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:
But the point is that I love my country. Don't you?

I've traveled a wee bit.  I like my country, but in many ways, it is inferior to others I have been to.  I don't feel I particularly owe it anything in the way of allegiance or loyalty.

I could learn to love a free country, regardless of the climate or geography.  Being free is more important to me than acknowledging my history and the history of my ancestors with a particular state.

@all, I second the Liberty Colony idea.  It's possible that an exodus may at one point be the only option left to us.  The world is certainly not getting less statist.  Things are moving in the wrong direction, and while choosing to stand and fight might be honourable, it's wise to pick the battles you can win.  If you can't beat the state, then change the game.  Plus the entrepreneurial opportunities for a Liberty Colony could be tremendous.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 70

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630

GilesStratton:

Remind me again, why should we? In any case Somalia isn't Anarcho Capitalist really it's run by warlords and as far I know a number of groups are all fighting for control of whatever government the UN wishes to create.

Assuming you want to see the United States become stateless, how do you even expect the US to become stateless if you think Somalia can't become a viable stateless society?  There's no point in being a libertarian if you constantly are coming up with excuses to never fight for or postpone your ideology.

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
212 Posts
Points 3,430
Suggested by jmw

Anonymous Coward:

I'm guessing you've never been to North Dakota...

I have ...many times actually.  I was a truck driver for a while and I made deliveries shortly after the floods when I-94 was turned into a two lane gravel road in some areas.  I love the place actually so I like to tease them.  Its the only place I have been where you can get Norwiegan pastries in truck stops.

I delivered art to an art Gallery at the University of Grand Forks right after the flood.  Pretty much everything was destroyed or unusable and the Gallery became the meeting place for all the churches in town.  Every day a different congregation would pull out the metal chairs, and have a service in the gallery.  I said to the director working there that I had never seen such a destroyed city and asked them how they were doing and he said a line straight out of a Garrison Keillor monolog:  "Oh, its not so bad.  Other people have it worse.  Besides its kind of fun to visit with everyone."

Of course if I would not have smiled back he would have cut off my head and placed it on a longship to strike terror into the hearts of the residents of Fargo and Moorhead as stress of the flood brought out a primal viking urge. (I made this part up)

Somalia:  The closest real information I have is from a friend of mine who has been there a few times.

Somaliland

Mogadishu 2002

Mogadishu in 2006

Remember a few things when reading about places like this.  Things can change fast.  A 2006 account might be really out of date.  When people ask me about travel to Haiti I tell them to read Graham Greene's Comedians since it really is like he says it is in that fictional book but any advice I give them might not be valid anymore.

Also people will write whole books, guides and theories even though they never went to the place.  Accounts about Somalia suffer from this ranging from the Pirates of Eyl (no place to keep a boat there but reporters in Zanzibar will write about Eyl like they visited there) to accounts of Somalia being an anarchist paradise written in Libertarian websites without anyone actually going there.

All it takes to get a real account of a place is a plane ticket...but very few people want to do that and for good reason too.

http://www.comebackalive.com/phpBB2 Travel, Adventure Travel, Arguments, Recipes.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

It doesn't have to be Somalia. We could set up colonies in any coastal African city by bribing the local rulers. The Chinese and the Arabs have started doing it. Soon they will have recolonized all of Africa.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

You sound like Mitt Romney. Blech!

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

Maxliberty:

fezwhatley:

if we want a stateless society, why dont a team of private investors and political refugees colonize Somalia

Good idea, check this site out   www.libertycolony.com . Just one possible idea.

Is that all you do? Shameless self-promotion?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:

I've traveled a wee bit.  I like my country, but in many ways, it is inferior to others I have been to.  I don't feel I particularly owe it anything in the way of allegiance or loyalty.

I could learn to love a free country, regardless of the climate or geography.  Being free is more important to me than acknowledging my history and the history of my ancestors with a particular state.

@all, I second the Liberty Colony idea.  It's possible that an exodus may at one point be the only option left to us.  The world is certainly not getting less statist.  Things are moving in the wrong direction, and while choosing to stand and fight might be honourable, it's wise to pick the battles you can win.  If you can't beat the state, then change the game.  Plus the entrepreneurial opportunities for a Liberty Colony could be tremendous.

• | Post Points: 70
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,056 Posts
Points 78,245

This thread isn't about the Liberty Colony, it's about Somalia.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well in dozens of other threads, other people have conflated the Liberty Colony with Somalia, so based on prior posts and board prejudices, I would say that the Liberty Colony being brought up in a discussion on moving to Somalia is highly relevant.

After all, the goal behind the Liberty Colony as I understand it, is to create a framework and execute a plan to move to a particular locale (like Somalia) and establish a free territory.  Thus it is in my opinion that the Liberty Colony is highly relevant to most if not all discussions on moving to a new territory and establishing a libertarian society.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Brainpolice:

This thread isn't about the Liberty Colony, it's about Somalia.

It seems to me any chance ML gets he'll derail the topic into the LC or how the rest of us aren't doing anything.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

fezwhatley:

GilesStratton:

Remind me again, why should we? In any case Somalia isn't Anarcho Capitalist really it's run by warlords and as far I know a number of groups are all fighting for control of whatever government the UN wishes to create.

Assuming you want to see the United States become stateless, how do you even expect the US to become stateless if you think Somalia can't become a viable stateless society?  There's no point in being a libertarian if you constantly are coming up with excuses to never fight for or postpone your ideology.

You're right, I'm off to go get my AK 47 and fly to Somalia as we speak. Don't be so stupid. If I did want the US to become a stateless society what sense does it make me flying to Somalia? In any case it doesn't follow that because Somalia can't become a stateless society the US can't, the situation in the two is entirely different.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:
It seems to me any chance ML gets he'll derail the topic into the LC or how the rest of us aren't doing anything.

I've already addressed that the former is not derailing and the latter wasn't mentioned.

Why continue to construct strawmen?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

liberty student:

GilesStratton:

I've already addressed that the former is not derailing and the latter wasn't mentioned.

Why continue to construct strawmen?

Because this has nothing to do with the LC unless of course Max happens to be posting from his colony in Somalia?

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

What do you mean it has nothing to do with Somalia?  Do I have to quote all of the times you have conflated the LC with Somalia in other threads?

Please give up the trolling.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

liberty student:

What do you mean it has nothing to do with Somalia?  Do I have to quote all of the times you have conflated the LC with Somalia in other threads?

Please give up the trolling.

I'm the one trolling?

If Max would be willing to limit his promotion of the LC to his own topics rather than using any mention of any country outside of North America to throw out the idea of the LC colony I would have no issue with it.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Max has not brought up the LC 1/10th as much as others have in other threads.  Usually, it is brought up to personally attack him.

You've got nothing to stand on, when you have already introduced the LC as a topic and conflated it with Somalia in other threads.    You have completely undermined any argument you can have against his promotion, when you use it as a tactic to attack him personally.

So yes, you are trolling.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 28 (416 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS