Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

(UK) investment advice for a beginner - gold/silver etc.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 590
fingolfin posted on Mon, Oct 6 2008 6:05 PM

Hi all! I'm a 26 year old writer/software tester and I 'study' economics on Mises.org for about 30-40mins most nights after work and at weekends to learn as much as I can about liberty and economcs. I've been doing this for about a year now.

I would very much like some advice about buying some gold/silver or investing in something 'solid' to protect my money from inflation etc. I really do not have much money/savings at all - it would be a small amount each month that I could afford (or perhaps I could save up for a few months at a time) - maybe some coins or small bars. I am worried about getting ripped off. I'm not sure where to buy and how to keep my purchase private/safe/secure etc. I don't have a very well-paid job but I think my industry is fairly secure right now. I have no outstanding debts but I am struggling meeting the bills every month now I'm living on my own again.

I'm concerned that if the economy really goes down hill very badly (I'm talking future riots and food shortages kinda stuff) - then how do I access or use my gold/silver - who would accept it? If I buy bars how might I use them for smaller amounts etc? Could I get it into e-gold etc for buying stuff online? If it's in a bank might the banks or government take it? 

I have been looking eagerly at the following websites:

http://www.guernseymint.com/ - nice looking stuff and they say they can keep it protected for you; would maybe have the advantage of being tax-free offshore in Guernsey? 

http://www.goldline.co.uk/ - mainland UK, looks very professional?

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/ - the tax-free bit got me, is this real? So much info!!!

http://www.e-gold.com/ - OK I'm still trying to get my head around how this works - can you actually buy 'stuff' (i.e. food, clothes etc) with e-gold? If so, how come I've searched and searched but cannot find any website accepting this currency? How do I actually get gold into it / out of it? I udnerstand you can't trade e-gold for cash, so do you have to request your gold first, then change to cash elsewhere? Please advise.

Should I really go with gold over silver? Silver seems like a 'gentle start' to me but I do worry that gold prices will be going up so I'd need to buy asap... ? I'm sorry for all these questions - I'd very very much appreciate some experienced/qualified advice from you guys, especially if you're based in the UK. I'm a total n00b!!! Geeked I truly love this website and its cause of liberty but I'd prefer not to be utterly broke when the time comes to once again claim back some freedom from our tyrannical oppressors!

Thank you all sincerely in advance.

"Fingolfin"

Edit: just been looking at this one too http://www.londongoldexchange.com/ trying to make heads and tails of it...

All Replies

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 170

I wouldn't neccessarily be chosing gold over silver, it depends on what your stomach can handle, can you put your head on the pillow at night and not think about your investment too much??? Silver is also a monetary metal and always emerges as such during economic crises. Have a look at a the last 100 years of silver prices incl. the 1968 -1980 gold and silver run up. Gold hit around $850 U.S per ounce and silver $50. Since then  gold has taken out it's all time high but silver is nowhere near it. Adjusted for inflation gold should be $2400 + per ounce and silver $128 per ounce. We are miles off that.Economy slowing in the West but demand in the BRIC nations is still very strong. Even Kitco have had huge delays in their silver deliveries very recently even though the paper price has been smashed as people are now wanting to take delivery.The gold to silver ratio has always come back to around 12 to 1. For most of the last 3 years the gold to silver ratio has been floating between the 45 - 55 to 1 range. Right now it's above 75 to 1 - prepare for explosive moves in the silver price in the next 12 months.

Gold certainly is a better way to go for wealth protection and long term capital appreciation but if you can stomach the volatitlity don't let anyone deter you from buying silver at a pace that you are comfortable with at what history should prove will be extraordinary low prices.

Cheers,

Matthew

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 170

I wouldn't neccessarily be chosing gold over silver, it depends on what your stomach can handle, can you put your head on the pillow at night and not think about your investment too much??? Silver is also a monetary metal and always emerges as such during economic crises. Have a look at a the last 100 years of silver prices incl. the 1968 -1980 gold and silver run up. Gold hit around $850 U.S per ounce and silver $50. Since then  gold has taken out it's all time high but silver is nowhere near it. Adjusted for inflation gold should be $2400 + per ounce and silver $120+ per ounce. We are miles off that.Economy slowing in the West but demand in the BRIC nations is still very strong. Even Kitco have had huge delays in their silver deliveries very recently even though the paper price has been smashed as people are now wanting to take delivery.The gold to silver ratio has always come back to around 12 to 1. For most of the last 3 years the gold to silver ratio has been floating between the 45 - 55 to 1 range. Right now it's above 75 to 1 - prepare for explosive moves in the silver price in the next 12 months.
Gold certainly is a better way to go for wealth protection and long term capital appreciation but if you can stomach the volatitlity don't let anyone deter you from buying silver at a pace that you are comfortable with at what history should prove will be extraordinary low prices.

Matthew

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 590

OK firstly thank you to everyone for their sound advice it is really very much appreciated. I think I am much clearer now about how this all works but I still have a few suggested links I'm reading through. I think I can put the digital currencies on the backnurner for now, it seems a little complex, risky and not as straight forward as I'd like.

I have had mostly recommendations for gold, although I might also buy some small amount of silver as I really cannot afford much gold at the moment and it seems as though I'd be able to get silver in higher and more divisible (i.e. useful) quantities for not too bad a price.

About gold then; should I save up for buying a bullion bar or grab some coins immediately? Which coins would you recommend and how are they different etc? Can anyone from in or around the UK suggest a reputable dealer or is there a price-comparison website of some kind?! Can anyone knock/recommend http://www.guernseymint.com/ or http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/ ? What others are there? I know one gentleman said that the latter was owned by a reputable company - Chard. 

Many thanks again in advance to you all.

Fin

Edit; woke up this morning and I've been looking at http://www.bullionvault.com/ | http://www.atsbullion.comhttp://www.royalmint.com as well as some others.

I found out a little more about the differences between types of coins and so on. On this page: http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/wesellkrugers.html they have prices for one ounce to tenth ounce coins. Right now then I'm most likely looking at half ounce coins until I can get some real savings together. They have an offer on some at the moment here: http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/krugerhalvesspecialoffer.html

Please let me know what ya'all think!

Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,685

I would recommend caution when buying physical gold. Besides legal issues (which might not be of concern), physical gold might be harder to store and sell. When selling it back, it still has to conform to the bullion standard.

On the other hand, digital gold/silver is available even in 1/100 divisions of a gram. Depending on the currency provider, you can actually use it to buy stuff online.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 590

Yes that's what first attracted me to digital currencies, the fact that the currency is so divisible. However many people I've talked to here and elsewhere have expressed concerns over their safety, accessibility etc. Which e-currency providers could you recommend me to look into?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,685

fingolfin:

Yes that's what first attracted me to digital currencies, the fact that the currency is so divisible. However many people I've talked to here and elsewhere have expressed concerns over their safety, accessibility etc. Which e-currency providers could you recommend me to look into?

If you want recommendations or ratings, check http://www.gdcaonline.com/ and decide for yourself. This is an association that certifies providers.

I bought some Pecunix a few days ago and worked rather well. But your mileage may vary according to the currency provider and exchange provider.

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 170

Are you wanting to take physical posession of your gold/silver or wanting it stored for a time in your future? Buying and storing physical gold is not that difficult at all.

You can purchase it from as little as $50 USD which is 100% allocated silver. At these levels the premiums are relatively high but include 7 years insurance and storage at a rate of about 8-10% of each purchase. You can sell at anytime for a fee of around 1% or so? You would need to clarify that but funds are held in switzerland and you can have funds in your account in around 24 hours of sale. The issue I have with digital currency (apart from James Turks gold money) is that most paper based gold purchases are just that - paper promises. all the accredititaions in the world won't help you if they don't have the gold or silver they say they have. Accreditation didn't help Citigroup or the worlds largest insurer AIG and it won't help your mind if you can't get your gold or silver.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
564 Posts
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Tue, Oct 7 2008 8:47 AM

fingolfin:

I'd say GoldMoney is the safest bet, then Pecunix; but it's a good idea to use multiple DGCs anyway.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,685

Yes, GoldMoney has had more visibility than the rest. And they don't require 3rd party exchange providers. But their accounts are more like savings accounts, rather than a payment tool, IIRC.

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 590

Thanks guys.

@ Matthew - I'm not sure if I'm after digital currency or physical gold/silver. Perhaps either/or, I'm really new to this and just want to backup my money while I still can. However, being able to actually use it (in small or convenient amounts) when the time comes is clearly a priority. I'd like to be able to buy food and clothing if/when the shit hits the proverbial fan!

@ Paul & Eduard - GoldMoney looks very interesting - thanks - and the tip to use more than one DGC sounds like a good one. I have heard not such great things about E-gold and similar e-currencies recently; you never know if one might be targetted by governments and if so exactly how resilient they are.

I'm just browisng through the Pecunix website and reading as much about them as I can - I must say on first glance it sounds like an impressive company, very secure etc and the website is actually quite useable (unlike, say E-gold or Liberty Dollar etc, yuck!)

What would you guys say to buying some physical gold/silver and some digital? Eduard you mentioned possible 'legal issues' when buying it, and 'conformity' issues upon re-sell - could you elaborate on this a little?

Thanks again,

Fingolfin Star

PS - the only thing that worried me a bit about GoldMoney was this: "insured through a policy underwritten at Lloyd's of London." What does this mean and how exactly are Lloyds involved? Isn't it risky to have anything 'backed' by banks right now?

Not Ranked
91 Posts
Points 1,375

I am in the exact same dilemma fingolfin. Please don't consider my next comments to be any kind of endorsement for my part, since I have absolutely no experience in gold or silver investment.

Before reading all the replies to your original post I would have considered www.e-gold.com to be one of my picks. Not now however. Thus I end up with www.goldmoney.com and www.bullionvault.com. My first observation is that the spread on the goldmoney site is ~3.7% if you are not a member. In comparison it is ~0.8% for the Swiss vault on bullionvault and a little higher on the American while lower on the British. Thus if you only plan to hedge your wealth in gold it seems bullionvault it better in this regard. The downside is that you can't buy silver. I must admit, that I haven't checked storage fees yet, so goldmoney might win out in a comparison overall.

My idea at the moment is this: To buy a little amount of gold at bullionvault and a little amount of silver at goldmoney. Then when I'm familiar with both sites I will see which one to place an increasing amount of gold at. In any case it is always a good idea to spread it out. Also, you could consider having gold in both the UK and Switzerland for security reasons.

Just my 2 cents

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 590

Hey corpus delicti - thanks for the quick response. I am actually getting a little confused now about hidden fees and charges etc. From bullionvault.com; they say that you should watch out for these potential hidden fees:

spread coststorage chargefabrication chargeweight discountcurrency conversion costsroll-over dealing costsfutures/spread bet contango.

What... the... why does it have to be so confusing?!! What are the main things I should watch out for? GoldMoney and Pecunix fees are listed here, for example:

http://goldmoney.com/en/fees.php
https://www.pecunix.com/money.refined...ind.feestructure

*Sigh* will I have to spend an entire day comparing fees and charges for each e-currency provider? The Pecunix page doesn't look too bad at first glance. Out of interest, corpus delicti, do you also also own physical gold etc?

Not Ranked
91 Posts
Points 1,375

I too think the whole business of different fees are confusing. That is why I plan to use at least two suppliers. So that I can find out along the way. However, to my knowledge, no one has lower spreads than bullionvault. It is explained here.

No, I don't own any gold or silver at the moment. I'm just as unsure as you are about this, but if I do this it is simply to hedge some of my savings. I don't actually "care" whether I can use it as a currency. The reason being that I live in Denmark. In my country no one talks about gold, we have no bullion dealers nor coin shops to my knowledge, no vaults and no gold exchange. Hence, if everything come crashing I wouldn't be able to do much about it anyways (apart from buying goods as a madman every chance I get). With that said, I wouldn't dare to buy bullion stored in the states (UK or Switzerland for me, no offence guys).

Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,685

You should also take a look at this comparison table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_gold_currency#Providers

My main criteria of selection was disclosure of reserves. But don't take Wikipedia's word and check the sources.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
564 Posts
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Tue, Oct 7 2008 8:50 PM

fingolfin:

@ Paul & Eduard - GoldMoney looks very interesting - thanks - and the tip to use more than one DGC sounds like a good one. I have heard not such great things about E-gold and similar e-currencies recently; you never know if one might be targetted by governments and if so exactly how resilient they are.

Depends where they are.  e-gold is in a particularly risky position, being based in the US.  GoldMoney is based in Jersey - very low political risk - and Pecunix in New Zealand.  Also look at Commerce Gold, based in SEA and either has or plans to have a system of physical locations where gold can be bailed/unbailed (unlike the others, they don't use LBMA bars, which you can't take out of a vault without much expense)

fingolfin:

PS - the only thing that worried me a bit about GoldMoney was this: "insured through a policy underwritten at Lloyd's of London." What does this mean and how exactly are Lloyds involved? Isn't it risky to have anything 'backed' by banks right now?

Lloyd's of London isn't a bank, it's an insurance syndicate - insuring against the gold being stolen, etc.

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS