Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What? Interest on Reserves?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
40 Posts
Points 555
UsernamemanresU posted on Tue, Oct 7 2008 3:01 PM

Please excuse me if this has already been brought up, but I just watched the witch-king on Yahoo

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=289004&cl=10074686&src=finance&ch=289023

and I have a couple of questions.

Do I understand correctly that the Federal Reserve can now legally pay interest on its reserves?

Do I interpret this correctly to mean that the Federal Reserve is no longer limited to simply spending money into existence, for it can now pay it directly into existence as interest?

Wow.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 250

That is correct. The primary motivation for this is to allow the Fed to expand the money supply without driving the federal funds rate below the target.

Not Ranked
40 Posts
Points 555

You propose that, by this stratagem, the federal reserve intends to expand the money supply but preserve the federal funds rate.

Can this work?

To work, I assume the interest rate on excess reserves would have to be more attractive than the interest on overnight, interbank loans, correct?

Further, I assume that overnight loans have returns which are competitive with loans to businesses, correct?

If correct, then the supply of money will expand since the banker will simply sit on his excess (growing) reserves.

The ploy will work, but is this consistent with the fed's stated goal of stimulating aggregate demand (by dumping credit into the hands of businesses)?

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 250

It's not consistent with anything other than helping the Fed preserve their credibility. Although I'm sure they would say otherwise.

Not Ranked
40 Posts
Points 555

I have the option here to click on verify answer. Does one select this after getting a satisfactory answer?

Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Points 4,685

Yes, it's meant for the other readers to easily see the question and best answer more easily, without reading all posts.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS