Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My 100th post

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén Posted: Sun, Oct 26 2008 8:03 AM

A lot of new people have recently come across mises.org and started posting. The situation has presented challenges. On one side, the higher authorities of mises.org are happy that trheir audience has increased so much. On the other hand, the first generation of forum contributors feel that their space is being violated and that they can no longer freely discuss, with a strong background of prerequisite reading, profound topics with the rigor and complexity they used to. They complain that the olg good days are gone.

What should be direction should we, all generations of mises users, provide to this forum?  

Art transcends ideology.

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/ruben

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Rubén:

A lot of new people have recently come across mises.org and started posting. The situation has presented challenges. On one side, the higher authorities of mises.org are happy that trheir audience has increased so much. On the other hand, the first generation of forum contributors feel that their space is being violated and that they can no longer freely discuss, with a strong background of prerequisite reading, profound topics with the rigor and complexity they used to. They complain that the olg good days are gone.

What should be direction should we, all generations of mises users, provide to this forum?  

What are you talking about?  I have not heard a single bit of this nonsense regarding "the good old days".  

Who is "they"?  Your appeal to anonymous authority in an attempt to post up some sort of "social crisis" is odd & pointless.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 8:38 AM

The problem is not the large number of newbies, it is the large number of newbie topics they are making. ("Hey guess what my stupid dad/teacher/boss/priest/online forum said" threads and so on.)

Moderate newbie threads and the problem goes away.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Stranger:

The problem is not the large number of newbies, it is the large number of newbie topics they are making. ("Hey guess what my stupid dad/teacher/boss/priest/online forum said" threads and so on.)

Moderate newbie threads and the problem goes away.

I thought the newbie section was created for this purpose.  I don't think any of those topics should be deleted (that would be unfair for the new poster), just moved to the appropriate section.  Then again, I don't really like the idea of the newbie forum itself, honestly :\

If any of those threads eventually spur conversation, the more active ones will over shadow the non active ones anyways, & nobody has to worry about posting the "wrong" topic.   

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 9:22 AM

Nitroadict:

What are you talking about?  I have not heard a single bit of this nonsense regarding "the good old days".  

Who is "they"?  Your appeal to anonymous authority in an attempt to post up some sort of "social crisis" is odd & pointless.

I checked & effectively you missed the forum "What is Wrong with Having Health Care & Education for everyone?", where the social crisis I refer to is adequately explained. Please refer to it. That is precisely the reason I started this new thread, I believe the topic is important and more input for users is needed before a decision is taken.

Art transcends ideology.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Rubén:

Nitroadict:

I checked & effectively you missed the forum "What is Wrong with Having Health Care & Education for everyone?", where the social crisis I refer to is adequately explained. Please refer to it. That is precisely the reason I started this new thread, I believe the topic is important and more input for users is needed before a decision is taken.

I apologize, I had assumed that thread was on topic & never took a look at it previously.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 3:40 PM

Well, I hope this forum continues growing and that we all learn how to tolerate posts from other people, even if we consider them annoying, childish, arrongant or irrelevant.

Art transcends ideology.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

The problem as I, the, ahem...Anonymous Authority, see it is that a lot of the 'newbie topics' have already been covered in depth in other threads and the 'newbies' don't search out these previous discussions before posting new threads.

So someone either has to take the time to point out the older thread, repeat the same arguments in the new thread or just ignore them.

A variation on this is where a discussion will stray unto a subject that has been already discussed at length and you seem condescending when you suggest they search out the old threads instead of having to repeat the old arguments in the new thread.

All I gotta say is that someone who has this brilliant new idea they wish to bring to the table should take the time to use the search feature before starting a new topic.

But, AFAICT, this seems to be a universal 'feature' of the interweb because no matter where you go you end up with a hundred different posts on the same common subjects and is the main motivator behind the FAQ...which they don't have here because I suspect it would turn into yet another secular warground and nobody wants to take on that headache. Perhaps if they fixed the wiki it would be different, though.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS