Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

(Supply-Side vs. Demand-Side) vs. Austrian

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800
ViennaSausage Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2008 1:31 PM

We typically hear arguements of Supply-Side vs. Demand-Side Economics.  But aren't those two virtually the same?   Don't they both rely on government intervention? 

Also, if you were to have a specific name for Austrian Economics, what would it be called? It's not supply side, and not demand side either.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

good one.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 250

What is the government's role under Supply-Side economics?  All I hear about is Keynesian, which is basically demand-side.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

From my understanding, both deal with government intervention, however the type of intervention is specific for supply siders (Keynesian) and demand siders:

Demand Side:

• invests in production
    • reduce interest rates
    • government investment in infrastructure
      • hence taxes okay

Supply Side:

• utilizes incentives
    • income tax breaks
    • capital gains tax breaks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 3,095
Cesar replied on Wed, Nov 12 2008 8:51 AM

Either way these are government interventionist policies. Therefore, unacceptable.

However, I would favor government investment (from its own funds) in social infraestructure. Highways, parks, schools, hospitals, historical centers and many others.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 250

ViennaSausage:

Supply Side:

• utilizes incentives
    • income tax breaks
    • capital gains tax breaks

I wouldn't consider tax breaks as governement intervention.  I consider it more like pure happyness.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685
maxpot46 replied on Thu, Nov 13 2008 1:33 AM

I was introduced to Austrian economics via Supply-Side economics, which has a great respect for the Austrians.  The Supply-Siders I learned from (mostly the Wanniski branch as opposed to the Mundell or Laffer branches, though I did study with Mundell at Columbia) were constantly quoting Mises and Hayek (but not Rothbard).

The difference between Supply-Side and Demand-Side economics is that Supply-Siders think that production drives the economy and Demand-Siders think consumption drives the economy.  Thus, Supply-Side policies tend to focus on things like tax cuts, decreased government spending and a stable currency (i.e. one tied to gold, though not necessarily convertible to gold) to stimulate the economy, and they oppose Demand-Side policies which tend to promote tax increases, increased government spending, and credit expansion to stimulate the economy.

The difference between Supply-Side economics and Austrian economics is that Supply-Side economics is a utilitarian, ends-based framework, while Austrian economics is a morally consistent, means-based framework.  For example, Supply-Siders think high taxation is inefficient (using the Laffer Curve as their theoretical basis); Austrians think any taxation is evil robbery.  Supply-Siders think the state can work fine, if only producer-friendly policies were pursued;  Austrians obviously are enemies of the state.

When I attended Mises U. in 2005, I was still half Supply-Sider, but I'm a full on Austrian now Smile

"He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." Edmund Burke

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 405

Cesar:

Either way these are government interventionist policies. Therefore, unacceptable.

However, I would favor government investment (from its own funds) in social infraestructure. Highways, parks, schools, hospitals, historical centers and many others.

How can a government invest with its own funds? The government is not a wealth generator, so  funds used to invest in social infrastructure are taken from the public through taxes. Besides, private enterprise can produce  highways, parks, schools,ext, at a lower cost and whose quality  exceeds  that which the government can provide.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Thu, Nov 13 2008 10:17 AM

The problem with demand-side is that it always forces a choice between inflation and unemployment. It provides no good options for the current state of stagflation.

Art transcends ideology.

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/ruben

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

Perhaps the trouble with Supply-Side tax breaks, is that they are selected tax breaks, rather than across the board.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 852
Points 19,800

Ends-Means is a great way to put it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Thu, Nov 13 2008 1:45 PM

Rubén:
It provides no good options for the current state of stagflation.

The current US market looks to be going into a depression, not stagflation.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS