Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Dog on a Job

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 31
Points 560
JFedako Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2007 11:27 PM

Question: How does a libertarian protect himself while jogging? A house on my path has Doberman pincers behind an invisible fence. These dogs race directly at any runner or walker but stop just short of the sidewalk due to the invisible fence. So, the jogger or walker must trust that the fence is on, the dog collars on, and that the dogs will not race through the electric field. What rights does the jogger or walker possess in a libertarian prospective? Does the libertarian jogger or walker have the right to use pepper spray as a defense even though the dogs remain on private property? Or, must the jogger wait for the bite before taking action? (note: this is a small-scale application of defense against perceived threats)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

If the dog seems poised to attack, and you have no reason to believe the fence is on, you may defend yourself before it bites. Isn't it possible to indicate when the fence is on? How does the current law handle this? 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 31
Points 560
JFedako replied on Sun, Nov 18 2007 1:06 PM

You cannot tell if the fence is on or not -- at least until the dogs are ripping at your leg. Local laws are silent on this issue.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

In that case I'd say you're justified in defending yourself. I haven't much experience with these fences; how exactly do they work?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 1,440

Jog another route. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 235
Ed D. replied on Mon, Nov 19 2007 1:40 AM

Call the Dog Whisperer.Dog

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

Inquisitor:
how exactly do they work?
To give you a general idea: the dog wears a collar which emits an electric shock whenever the dog approaches the perimeter. 

----  

The trouble with this dilemma is that the ownership of the sidewalk is not defined. In libertarianism, I do not think that a private sidewalk owner would tolerate such dubious invisible fences -- particularly if he is renting out the sidewalk to joggers.  The sidewalk owner would probably make things simple for himself and erect a solid fence on his side. Furthermore, I would expect the dog-owner to be ostracized by his neighbors.  The dog-owner would probably be ostracized by the security insurance industry too.  

In our current State of affairs, where the sidewalk is "publicly" owned, the jogger is at the whim of whatever "public" law or mediation system dictates.   My attitude is that a purely libertarian solution is impossible. 

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 1,440

Charles Anthony:

The trouble with this dilemma is that the ownership of the sidewalk is not defined. In libertarianism, I do not think that a private sidewalk owner would tolerate such dubious invisible fences -- particularly if he is renting out the sidewalk to joggers.  The sidewalk owner would probably make things simple for himself and erect a solid fence on his side. Furthermore, I would expect the dog-owner to be ostracized by his neighbors.  The dog-owner would probably be ostracized by the security insurance industry too.  

In our current State of affairs, where the sidewalk is "publicly" owned, the jogger is at the whim of whatever "public" law or mediation system dictates.   My attitude is that a purely libertarian solution is impossible. 

Excellent points. I agree 100%. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS