Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Naive and Interested in Formally Studying Economics Within the Austrian Context

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 3
Points 60
milesteg Posted: Mon, Nov 19 2007 10:30 AM

Hello,

This is my first post, hopefully many more to come, but I just wanted to ask this community where a young, naive individual such as myself could formaly study Austrian Economic Theory. The world is rife with econometric analysis and computational statistics, which have their place as a functional tool for the modern economist, but I desire to be taught the Austrian methods and theories.

My Background:

1. Undergraduate Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Kettering University (Formely General Motors Institute)
  2. Business Management Minor from Kettering University: Econometrics, and Micro-Economics courses taken
  3. Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Osmium Development Company: Specializing in productivity tools for small businesses
  4. Co-Founder of the Kettering Entreprenuer Society at Kettering University which is supported by a grant from the Kern Foundation

My Vision:

Life Goal: To attain the monetary capital necessary to endow a private K-12 school system and to promote the privatization of lower education in America

• A component needed for that life goal is a background in teaching at some point in my life. That is where a graduate degree in economics would come into play. Problem is I have no interest in learning the formal economic theory being taught in most higher education institutions.

My Question:

What schools, professors, institutions can you lead me to that would help me fill this component of my life goal

My Current Connections:

• 3 time Liberty Fund colloquium participant
  • Intercollegiate Studies Institute colloquium participant
  • This initial contact to this this organization 

Thank you

Joseph Gallagher
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

http://www.mises.org/classroom/gradschool.pdf

This is a good guide by Dr Block on where one can study.

As for private study, I'd suggest you begin with Callahan's Economics for Real People and Mises' Human Action. This was posted in the wrong section, FYI.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 3
Points 60
milesteg replied on Tue, Nov 20 2007 9:13 PM

Thank you for the response, greatly appreciated. 

As for the wrong section, what would have been the appropriate section so that I don't do it again. 

Thanks

Joseph Gallagher
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Wed, Nov 21 2007 10:44 AM
The economics section.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Wed, Nov 21 2007 12:04 PM

With your real-world business experience, have you considered making an attempt for "equivalency" at a community college?  Many community colleges, when advertising faculty posts, will ask for "a masters in the teaching field, or a masters in any field with 18 graduate hours in the teaching field, or equivalency."  This last means generally a bachelors with significant upper division coursework in the teaching field, together with significant life experience in the field.  You could go into the business department, which in most community colleges includes economics.  Since you're interested in building a K-12 system, another option would be a private high school.  At my school, we have teachers with bachelor's degrees in history teaching English, with bachelor's degrees in science teaching math, one with a bachelor's degree in engineering teaching math, economics, and Spanish, and so on.  One of my coworkers has a bachelor's in English and previously taught math at another private school.  It's true, it doesn't pay particularly well, but I do get free room and board, including 3 meals per day, and lots of time off.  Finally, you might also consider online education, such as the University of London external programme in economics and finance.  (Yes, you can get a master's from LSE online!) 

Failing all that, the top schools are GMU and NYU, but you'll need to learn neoclassical economics too.  Also, consider that you might be doing your students a disservice if you weren't educated in neoclassical theory - isn't it better to teach them what neoclassicals say, and the Austrian critique, than to send them out unprepared to deal with economists who will tell them that they are all wrong?  If you do want a purely Austrian masters, though, I hear rumors that Grove City will be doing a masters in the near future.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Finally, note that I am a high school teacher and student of Austrian economics who would be very interested in your project.  If you don't mind, please drop me a line at JAlanKatz@mises.com.  Over the years, I've found that even private schools are very "public oriented" meaning that they tend to ape public schools.  The Board of Directors has expressed some concern that the school has a libertarian on faculty, but relaxed when they realized that I was not brainwashing students in my math classes.  Anyway, I'd be very interested in a private school founded on explicitly libertarian lines, and might have something to bring to the table if you want a collaborator with a good amount of K-12 experience. 

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,110

As a student in language teaching and an entrepreneur having his own online language teaching school (conferencing technology and all), I find your project interesting. I don't have much money to bring to the table, but I think that the prospect of working with other austrian economics oriented people is appealing.

My online school: www.cvgrenier.com

I know it does not look very good now but I am working on a version that will blow everyone away (and the English version is not up yet, will be by next month - still working on term papers here). Btw: I have my own Japanese teacher who can teach it to both English and French students. I'll give you guys rebates if you tell me you're from here.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS