Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Good Introductory Book

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 87
Points 2,025
Scott Jefferies Posted: Wed, Dec 3 2008 12:36 AM

i wanna get my dad one book that will be a great introduction to austrian economics. more specifically i want to find a book that debunks our hisotorical trial of "laissez-faire" during the gilded age, as well as explaining capital theory and how hoover and roosevelt handled the great depression. i guess i want something that combines economics in one lesson and americas great depression, with an explanation of the "free-market" policies of late 19th century. i know its a mouthful, but i just want to enlighten somebody who believes that free markets had their chance and failed... with as cheap a christmas gift as possible Big Smile

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 224
Points 3,785

You want "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods Jr.,

or the famous "Economics in one Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt

or "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism" by Robert Murphy.

From what you have mentioned above, I would reccomend them in that order.  Good luck   ;) 

...And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street, But now you're gonna have to get used to it...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 4,160
Fried Egg replied on Fri, Dec 12 2008 6:18 AM

Economics for real people by Gene Callahan is a great introduction to Austrian Economics but I don't think it goes into any depth about the great recession or the history of laissez faire.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 155

the p.i.g. guide to capitalism is a good one. i just finished it the other day, actually. simple and concise. almost simple enough to read while drinking, if that's what you're into.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Economics for Real People is definitely a winner in my book.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 212
Points 3,790
Chris replied on Mon, Dec 15 2008 10:47 PM

Scott Jefferies:

i wanna get my dad one book that will be a great introduction to austrian economics. more specifically i want to find a book that debunks our hisotorical trial of "laissez-faire" during the gilded age, as well as explaining capital theory and how hoover and roosevelt handled the great depression. i guess i want something that combines economics in one lesson and americas great depression, with an explanation of the "free-market" policies of late 19th century. i know its a mouthful, but i just want to enlighten somebody who believes that free markets had their chance and failed... with as cheap a christmas gift as possible Big Smile

For an introduction I would recommend Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson.  However, you also mentioned that you wanted to get into the history of economics in America in which case I'd recommend the book I'm currently in the midst of reading by Murray Rothbard:  A History of Money and Banking in the United States.  Although Rothbard is obviously focused on monetary policy and our banking system throughout history it gives a great insight to just how little economic freedom there was even before the Fed.  He also has a section that discusses Hoover, Roosevelt, and the Great Depression in there as well (I am going to read that book by him after this one). Good luck!

In liberty,

Chris

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

I started reading Inclined to Liberty, and it seems like a good book.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS