Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul and Unsavory Supporters

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585
Solid_Choke Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2007 3:07 PM

An article in The American Thinker talks about how Ron Paul will not renounce neo-*** and other racists who are contributing money to his campaign.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/11/the_ron_paul_campaign_and_its.html

The article mentions that Medved has made an open letter calling for Ron Paul to  speak out against racists and 9/11 conspiracy people but so far he hasn't responded. I recently registered Republican so I can vote for Paul in the primaries but if he doesn't distance himself from these types of people I might just sit the election out.

What do you guys think? 

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Why should a political candidate denounce someone for their beliefs? Even neo-*** have a right to their opinions, as long as their actions don't hurt anyone. You'd let a candidate's refusal to denounce someone solely for their beliefs prevent you from putting action to your "classically liberal" words?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 9
Points 150
ssdded replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 4:18 PM

Solid_Choke:
What do you guys think?

Here's what the Communciations Director of his campaign had to say:

Dr. Paul stands for freedom, peace, prosperity, and the protection of inalienable individual rights. He knows that liberty is the antidote for racism, anti-Semitism, and other small minded ideologies. Dr. Paul has focused all of his energy on winning the presidency so he can cut the size of government and protect the freedom of every American. Neither he nor his staff is going to waste time screening donors. If a handful of individuals with views anathema to Dr. Paul’s send in checks, then they have wasted their money.

Source: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZTJmOWM2ZGQzNzAzOTQwYWJlMDg4YjJiMjE4MWRlZTY

Seems pretty clear to me. If you're willing to sit out the election because a very small number of people as savory as moldy cheese are flocking to Ron Paul, then why bother supporting him in the first place? As they say, there's one in every bunch, and Congressman Paul's campaign is no exception.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

un_gitano_perdido:

Why should a political candidate denounce someone for their beliefs? Even neo-*** have a right to their opinions, as long as their actions don't hurt anyone. You'd let a candidate's refusal to denounce someone solely for their beliefs prevent you from putting action to your "classically liberal" words?

I don't mean denounce those people, I mean distance himself from their ideas. Shouldn't he make it clear that he dissapproves of racism and crazy 9/11 conspiracy theories if he does? I by no means want the law to be used against anyone because of their ideas, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out ideas for what they are: irrational collectivist craziness.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 4:40 PM

Even racists have rights. Shame on you for denying them.

Ron Paul fights for all of us. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

Stranger:

I never said that racists don't have rights. Everyone has the same rights. I said that if Ron Paul isn't a racist he should say so. Is there anything about that you don't agree with? Also I wouldn't vote for someone who believes that 9/11 was carried out by the Bush Administration. Some supporters of Ron Paul believe just that. Shouldn't Ron Paul make clear what he believes about these issues?

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,385
Parsidius replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 5:03 PM
Ron Paul has already denounced racism as stupid collectivism, so there is no problem. And as for returning the money, I don't see why this is necessary; if a neo-nazi gave a ton of cash to an orphanage, the orphanage should keep the money because it can do a great deal of good regardless who it comes from.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 481
Points 7,280
DBratton replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 5:24 PM

Solid_Choke:
I mean distance himself from their ideas. Shouldn't he make it clear that he dissapproves of racism and crazy 9/11 conspiracy theories if he does?

I've seen him on TV saying he doesn't have anything to do with the 911 troothers. As for the racism charge, it's usually best not to respond to those.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Solid_Choke:
Some supporters of Ron Paul believe just that. Shouldn't Ron Paul make clear what he believes about these issues?

What supporters believe doesn't equal what Ron Paul believes.

Your line of reasoning is quite compelling though, I've decided I'm not going to vote for any politician who doesn't denounce the Easter Bunny. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Do all the other candidates return funds originating from suspect sources? I doubt it. Probably because these sources are either low profile. There seems to be a sort of witch hunt going on with Paul.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 251
Points 4,510
leonidia replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 6:54 PM

Listen to what Ron Paul has to say.  Can there be any doubt in your mind that this is a good, honest decent man whose views are diametrically opposed to these neo-***  extremists?  Ron Paul has spent most of his adult life esposuing the virtues of freedom, tolerance and non-coercion.  He has frequently denounced racism.

So, why doesn't he specifically denounce these groups and try to distance himself from them?  Well, the obvious answer is that if you know what Ron Paul stands for, it's completely unnecessary.  But I think there might be more to it than that. When members of these extremists groups first hear Ron Paul's message of freedom, they mistakenly believe that a Ron Paul presidency will give them the poltical means to advance their agenda, not realizing that Ron Paul is in fact the last person in the world who would allow the presidency to be used in that manner. They fail to understand that the freedom they have under the Constitution to express whatever crazy intolerant views they may have, does not give them the freedom to impose those views on others.  Their views are logically inconsistent, and their understanding of Ron Paul's message, and what Ron Paul would do as president, is completely backwards,   But here's the beauty of the Ron Paul campaign:  No matter how stupid, bigoted and intolerant you might be, you are still free to support him if you want, but the more you hang around Ron Paul, the more you listen to his message, his logic and his rational arguments,  the less stupid, bigoted and intolerant you will become.  That's the power of Ron Paul. 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

You have misunderstood my argument. I am not saying his supporters determine his ideology, simply that if he is called out by prominent public figures and accused of something he should respond or else he looks like he is guilty. If someone accused me of being a racist or 9/11 troother because they gave me money I would respond and set the record straight. Is this unreasonable to expect?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

What's so special about racism and conspiracy theories that they have to be treated seperately from all other kooky ideas?  Or would you want a candidate explicitly to "distance" himself from all kooky contributors?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
As a 9-11 truther myself I can understand why Ron Paul won't distance himself or speak out against people like myself. It's hard to speak out against something that is so unclear and he doesn't have all the data on. I'm glad not only is he not speaking against us, but he is not speaking for us either. This is a proper position for someone who doesn't have all the information. He doesn't pretend to know everything and he understands that our own government has carried false flag attacks in the past and wouldn't put it past them to do it again. As he gains a better understanding about the issues of 9-11, he will be able to make more decisive decisions as to how much distance he gives himself on issues such as this. By the way Medved isn't exactly the bastion integrity to be basing your decision on. I mean why not have Ron Paul speak out against child molestors and rapists. I mean what kind of campaign can somone run if he has to speak out against everything that is called for in open letters. I personally don't care what his position is on 9-11. The fact that he is actually the only candidate who not says he will obey the constitution but has actually practiced what he preaches, he is a no-brainer choice for president. So please don't sit out this election you may never have a chance to vote for a candidate with such integrity ever again. Thank you listening Ed Brotherton
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
As a 9-11 truther myself I can understand why Ron Paul won't distance himself or speak out against people like myself. It's hard to speak out against something that is so unclear and he doesn't have all the data on. I'm glad not only is he not speaking against us, but he is not speaking for us either. This is a proper position for someone who doesn't have all the information. He doesn't pretend to know everything and he understands that our own government has carried false flag attacks in the past and wouldn't put it past them to do it again. As he gains a better understanding about the issues of 9-11, he will be able to make more decisive decisions as to how much distance he gives himself on issues such as this. By the way Medved isn't exactly the bastion integrity to be basing your decision on. I mean why not have Ron Paul speak out against child molestors and rapists. I mean what kind of campaign can somone run if he has to speak out against everything that is called for in open letters. I personally don't care what his position is on 9-11. The fact that he is actually the only candidate who not says he will obey the constitution but has actually practiced what he preaches, he is a no-brainer choice for president. So please don't sit out this election you may never have a chance to vote for a candidate with such integrity ever again. Thank you for listening Ed Brotherton
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

One thing to keep in mind, is that if Ron Paul is put in a position to speak out when every "prominant" person calls him out on something.  He would be caught up in playing the back and forth game and never get anything accomplished.  And if you have been following Ron for any period of time you will know, and these prominant people who call him out will know what his positions are.  They just need to do a little research.

Thank you

Ed Brotherton

Not Ranked
Posts 91
Points 1,775
Paul Grad replied on Wed, Nov 28 2007 2:59 PM

Solid_Choke:

An article in The American Thinker talks about how Ron Paul will not renounce neo-*** and other racists who are contributing money to his campaign.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/11/the_ron_paul_campaign_and_its.html

The article mentions that Medved has made an open letter calling for Ron Paul to  speak out against racists and 9/11 conspiracy people but so far he hasn't responded. I recently registered Republican so I can vote for Paul in the primaries but if he doesn't distance himself from these types of people I might just sit the election out.

What do you guys think? 

I read this article and thought this over myself. This is what I think.

If it were my campaign,I'd give the money back and denounce the guys organization. But maybe I'd be doing the wrong thing. If I take the money, I have financially weakened the racist, whose views are diametrically opposed to mine, and perhaps I may win an election because of it, which will bring anti-racist views into government and prominence. I have heard Dr. Paul state his views at least three times in public that racism is a form of collectivist thinking, in complete opposition to Libertarian individualism. If the other candidates return these donations, I believe it is completely for show. Dr. Paul is probably the only candidate who could take such donations, and argue a position that would make me think what he did was not invalid from his perspective. Also, it's his campaign, not mine.

The other issue is why does the other side not vigorously repudiate its racists and their donations. I have never heard the leading candidates of the Democratic party demand that Farrakhan, Sharpton, and Carter, who has accepted about a million dollars from a Saudi racist who has published virulently anti-Semitic literature, be removed from the Democratic Party. When critics, like Alan Dershowitz, pointed this out and some demanded Carter return the money, Carter refused to give it back.  I haven't heard any Democrats denounce him at length on public television for this. Or Sharpton or Farrakhan. Do you think that's more moral that Dr. Paul's position?

• Filed under:
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,083
Points 17,700
Niccolò replied on Wed, Nov 28 2007 3:33 PM

Stranger:

So the sheep said... 

The Origins of Capitalism

And for more periodic bloggings by moi,

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585
I guess I just hold Dr. Paul to a higher moral standard than any of the Democrats who I know are simply rent-seeking statists. I noticed that he added a section about racism on his website which is helpful but I think a public response to the open letter would be much better even if he didn't give the money back.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
dssn4 replied on Thu, Nov 29 2007 8:58 PM

I think no matter who supports Ron Paul, it shows that we all want the same thing, freedom and liberty.  We already know that this is a man who can't get bought.  He's not going to change his principles because of certain donations that are voluntary to his message.

And if you watch Zeitgeist - The Movie: The Federal Reserve (5 parts but fairly short) on youtube, you may change your mind about asking Ron Paul to denounce the 911 conspiracy people.  You see, it's never been proven either way, except more investigation of facts has been done on the part of others than by the 911 Commission.  If you are open-minded, and if you dare, check it out.  History proves that governments have been using "false flag" operations for about 100 years so it wouldn't be the first time.

Ron Paul stands for the Constitution, and so all of us get a chance to retain our freedoms.  All American's deserve that.  Don't you think?

Not Ranked
Posts 91
Points 1,775
Paul Grad replied on Fri, Nov 30 2007 9:22 PM

Solid_Choke:
I guess I just hold Dr. Paul to a higher moral standard than any of the Democrats who I know are simply rent-seeking statists. I noticed that he added a section about racism on his website which is helpful but I think a public response to the open letter would be much better even if he didn't give the money back.

I would add two more points. I read in two places, and the americanthinker might be one, accusations of him making statements against the "Jewish" lobby. I have never seen such statements, only statements critical of the pro-Isreal lobby. I wrote to one site that made that statement and specifically asked for citations so I could check it. My comment was not responded to by the author. I also read a criticism that his weekly congressional column was routinely reproduced by a racist paper, but I thought, "That's in the public record so they're entitled to reproduce it." I then read this very rebut in a defence of Dr. Paul. These two points make me think that the americanthinker piece is an attempt by some Democratic campaign (or possibly Republican) to malign Dr. Paul by making him seem soft on racism, despite my hearing him denounce it, and it's being totally in contradiction to praxeological and anti-collectivist theory which he has espoused for decades.

The biggest threat to minorities in America is the overthrow of the Bill of Rights and the collapse of the dollar that will lead to economic chaos.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
tcbell312 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2007 11:24 AM
Solid, Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIHNvt__34 Ron Paul specifically says "I do not believe that the government carried out 9/11." Is that enough for you? My only problem with this "I'm a classical liberal but all people who believe 9/11 WAS NOT done by the Boogie Men, umm I mean Osama and his City Slickers, is a "troofer". Let us just demean them. Even though I don't trust government in ANY other area in life I'm going to believe them about the biggest historical event in my lifetime!" For some reason this does not add up for me. Another person posted awhile back about 9/11 proving the classical liberal position that ALL governments are inherently bad for society. I completely agree with that statement. As a classical liberal I don't trust my government at all! I especially don't trust them when 3,000 human lives are lost and they blame it on their former asset turned nemesis. Do you really believe Bush when he says the Islamofascists want to kill us all? Most likely you do not! Do you believe Bush when he says that Iran is going to nukes us all if we don't stop them now? Most likely you do not! Do you believe Bush when he says "No, no there really were WMDs in Iraq"? Most likely you do not! But you stand firm with Bush when he tells you the Boogie Men attacked us on 9/11? The Establishment has no credibility! I will repeat that for you: The Establishment has no credibility! None, nada, zip, zero! At the same time many of the people who advance the "9/11 was an inside job" theory lack credibility as well (Alex Jones, Dr. Steven Jones, Jeff Rense et al) and use the tragedy to push a pyramid based marketing scheme. But look at the current work of D.L. Abramhamson from False Flag News.com. He still believes that 9/11 was not carried out by the Boogie Men, but he also doesn't believe Bush, Fuiliani, or Silverstien ordered it. The most likely culprits of 9/11 are those Generals and Admirals who stay anonymous to the general public (just the way they like it). You know those guys who work 30 years in the "Defense" Department then make the "transition" into the "Defense" Contracting Industry. Those are your 9/11 criminals! Whenever you hear people debating "who did 9/11" remember these words: "9/11 Was A Black Op U.S. Military Attack!" Period.
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 35
auace replied on Sat, Dec 1 2007 1:37 PM

It never ceases to amaze and comfound me that people still want to blame and believe 1 the obvious 2 those sources controlled by the Internationalists Bankers.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 264
Points 4,630
Grant replied on Sat, Dec 1 2007 6:31 PM

Inquisitor:
Do all the other candidates return funds originating from suspect sources? I doubt it. Probably because these sources are either low profile. There seems to be a sort of witch hunt going on with Paul.

Actually, they do. And rather quickly. Suspect sources constitute such a minor part of most campaign's donations (especially with the new finance laws, since its nigh-impossible to screen so many donors), that its never worth it to keep the donation, even if the campaign doesn't think the press will find out about it. Its just not worth the risk. If the press does find out before the campaign, the campaign generally returns the money.

I'm not exactly sure why its such a good thing to make scumbags richer than they'd otherwise be, but of course politics is all about image. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 251
Points 4,510

Grant:
politics is all about image. 
It is about image for the other candidates, but not for Ron Paul.  Ron Paul's core beliefs have been rock solid for the past 30 years and they're not going to change because some extremist group gives him money.  Other candidate's views twist in the wind; voters know this, so candidates are always afraid that public opinion might assume they somehow agree with their donors or condone their activities.  I think Ron Paul wants to project a completely different image; that his views are so solid that when some unsavory character gives him money, it can mean only one of two things: either the donor's views have changed to agree with Paul, or, the donor is woefully ignorant of what Paul stands for.  In which case he's wasting his money, and I'm sure Ron Paul is happy to relieve him of it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

My own issues with Ron Paul do not have to do with his supporters (although libertarian criticism of Ron Paul apparently has become a grand heresy, and the paleocons bug me), but with some of his own positions and the mere fact that he is working inside of political power. Indeed, Ron Paul has not really changed his positions over the past 30 years. Yet I disagree with some of those positions. I disagree with constitutionalism, anti-immigration (I don't make a legal/illegal distinction, I find it disingenuous) and pro-life sentiments. And I disagree with voting as a means towards reducing political power. I am disturbed when I see life-long anarchists enthusiastically throwing money at a politician and involving themselves in the political process.

Before anyone attacks me as misrepresenting him, I am aware that he generally takes a state's rights position on abortion, which is indeed preferable to a federal approach. Yet I do not believe I am seeing illusions when I see him introducing and co-sponsoring federal legislation defining life as beginning at conception. I am aware that he rhetorically says we should get rid of the welfare incentives to solve the immigration debacle, yet it is plain and clear that since that isn't currently being done, he is willing to support measures such as federal border fences and he is willing to enforce currently existing immigration laws and quotas, if not strengthen them. I find these things disturbing. I do not go for "lesser evils".

I think his libertarian critics such as Wendy McElroy, Stefan Molyneux and Brad Spangler brings some good points to the table that are largely being ignored by libertarians. Not everyone who critisizes Ron Paul is a neocon or liberal, engaging in a smear conspiracy. Some of us feel that to financially support even Ron Paul inherently strengthens the very institutional framework by which the state thrives, by taking funds that could have been used on the market or "agoristically" and channeling them into campaign coffers. And some of us feel that voting, empirically speaking, simply does not work in the long-run as a means of reducing political power. And some of us do not think that even if Ron Paul made it into office, through some kind of divine providence, he could realistically do that much to reduce political power, let alone slow down its growth.

So my challenge does not go out to those 9/11 truthers, John Birchers and Neo-*** who just so happen to have tagged along his campaign, for whatever reason (ill-concieved or not). My challenge goes out to all of those die-hard libertarians who are enthusiastically supporting Ron Paul. What makes you think that anything is different about this than Goldwater or Reagen? What makes you think that Ron Paul can "restore the republic"? Please explain to me how Ron Paul could get much of anything meaningful done for liberty in the face of a hostile congress? Explain how voting for politicians has ever been sucessful as a libertarian tactic for change? And explain how well Ron Paul's position on issues such as immigration square with libertarian principles.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 48
Points 795
tgibson11 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2007 10:35 PM

Brainpolice,

All valid points, and well made.  But I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that libertarians or anarchists ought not to participate in politics.  I can do no better than quote from the January 1972 issue of the Libertarian Forum (http://www.mises.org/journals/lf/1972/1972_01.pdf).  The lead article by Rothbard presents his view on this issue, and another article on the subject by William Danks follows.  Rothbard's article also includes an excerpt from Lysander Spooner's No Treason.

In short, if the rulers allow us to make this one choice, as petty and miserable as it may be, this one say over our political lives, it is not immoral to make use of this opportunity. As I wrote somewhere else, if Richard Cobden and Ghenghis Khan were running against each other for President, the libertarian would surely have no hesitation supporting and voting for Cobden, despite his falling short of full purity. ...it is still not immoral to use the electoral process when a significant choice presents itself. The use of the electoral process is not, then, immoral per se,as the non-voting camp would have us believe.

--Murray Rothbard 

Refusal to become involved in poiitics is impossible. Everyone living in a nation-state is "involved" in politics to the very extent that their life is not theirs to live as they please. When the time comes when a person has a real option to not be involved in politics, then the revolution will be over and we will have won.

--William Danks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 264
Points 4,630
Grant replied on Sat, Dec 1 2007 10:46 PM

Brainpolice:
And I disagree with voting as a means towards reducing political power. I am disturbed when I see life-long anarchists enthusiastically throwing money at a politician and involving themselves in the political process.

Voting is a means to secure the force of government; its a means to use violence. Since the only thing that can defend against the force of government is defensive force, it follows that the use of government (i.e., voting) as self-defense is a perfectly logical and proper thing to do.

Or more pragmatically, Paul's election (or even his influence) may save countless lives in both foreign wars and the war on drugs. When compared to other candidates, the choice is pretty obvious. Most critics fail to realize that not voting is also a choice they make, and it has consequences which are most certainly not good for victims of government violence.

I don't think abortion is an act of aggression either, but it would be pretty un-libertarain of him if he defended abortion with his beliefs.

Voting has reduced political power in the past. It did drastically increase the freedom of blacks and other minorities in America, and to a lesser extend women. Think of voting like a gun; it can be used for defense or aggression. Its likely true that democracy will tend towards aggression, but that does not mean that employing it for defensive uses is at all unjust.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

tgibson11:

Brainpolice,

All valid points, and well made.  But I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that libertarians or anarchists ought not to participate in politics.  I can do no better than quote from the January 1972 issue of the Libertarian Forum (http://www.mises.org/journals/lf/1972/1972_01.pdf).  The lead article by Rothbard presents his view on this issue, and another article on the subject by William Danks follows.  Rothbard's article also includes an excerpt from Lysander Spooner's No Treason.

In short, if the rulers allow us to make this one choice, as petty and miserable as it may be, this one say over our political lives, it is not immoral to make use of this opportunity. As I wrote somewhere else, if Richard Cobden and Ghenghis Khan were running against each other for President, the libertarian would surely have no hesitation supporting and voting for Cobden, despite his falling short of full purity. ...it is still not immoral to use the electoral process when a significant choice presents itself. The use of the electoral process is not, then, immoral per se,as the non-voting camp would have us believe.

--Murray Rothbard 

Refusal to become involved in poiitics is impossible. Everyone living in a nation-state is "involved" in politics to the very extent that their life is not theirs to live as they please. When the time comes when a person has a real option to not be involved in politics, then the revolution will be over and we will have won.

--William Danks

Well, I'm not making an ethical arguement with respect to voting. Only an empirical one. I understand the Spooner-esc "voting as defense" arguement. I'm argueing that it is inefficient as a means of defense even if we grant voting's moral neutrality, and that the very nature of the political system is stacked against the attempting defender's favor, even if they manage to vote a "defender canidate" in. Not to sound like a fatalist, but it seems like the state practically always grows in general no matter who is the president; it has its own inertia. And I understand that it is to some extent impossible to not be effected by politics. But there is a huge difference between compulsory things that one cannot avoid and things that one has at least some leeway in being able to avoid. For example, I can totally understand libertarians driving on the public roads because they simply have no choice not to if they want to get around. But something such as voting is not compulsory (unless you live in a place such as Australia). 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
dssn4 replied on Sun, Dec 2 2007 2:57 AM

The biggest threat to minorities in America is the overthrow of the Bill of Rights and the collapse of the dollar that will lead to economic chaos.

** That's why it is so important to vote for Ron Paul - he seems to be the only one who cares about restoring our Constitution, and he understands monetary policy.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sun, Dec 2 2007 6:18 AM

Solid_Choke:
I don't mean denounce those people, I mean distance himself from their ideas. Shouldn't he make it clear that he dissapproves of racism and crazy 9/11 conspiracy theories if he does? I by no means want the law to be used against anyone because of their ideas, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out ideas for what they are: irrational collectivist craziness.

I can't help that it is not the alleged racists and conspiracy theorists that are suffering from irrational and collectivist thought here. What you bring up is actually a political correct shaming device. My company gets frequently contributions from the public and I can tell you that a contributor must go out of his way before I would "distance myself" from him. I'm no totalist that checks the ideas of other people and then makes a list from whom I will distance myself in a ritual.

Brainpolice recently wrote an essay on the subject on racism:
http://mises.com/blogs/brainpolice/archive/2007/11/30/the-rational-and-individualist-case-against-racism.aspx
It's not perfect, since he uses strawmen to further his point, but it is far more differentiating then the usual manipulative and poltical correct crap one reads. 

Personally one ought to start a thread on his own on the subject of "racism"...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 264
Points 4,630
Grant replied on Sun, Dec 2 2007 12:55 PM

Brainpolice:
And I understand that it is to some extent impossible to not be effected by politics. But there is a huge difference between compulsory things that one cannot avoid and things that one has at least some leeway in being able to avoid. For example, I can totally understand libertarians driving on the public roads because they simply have no choice not to if they want to get around. But something such as voting is not compulsory (unless you live in a place such as Australia).

I think you are missing the point. Voting isn't always "using" the state like collecting welfare is. Everyone at least has the potential to be effected by politics, because the power of government is really only limited by the populace. Voting in and of itself in no way supports or expands governments. On the contrary, if all libertarians did not vote, the state would certainly expand more than it does. When would libertarians abstaining from voting cause more desirable libertarian outcomes than if they did vote?

You aren't quite correct that the government always expands. During Clinton's presidency, spending relative to GDP was on a steep decline until Dubya took office.

I think what voting allows is a potential for "revolution" without the violence of a real one. For example, Quebec was almost able to succeed through democratic means. If it had tried to succeed the "old fashioned way", things would have likely gone worse. The ability of citizens to vote does hold their government in check to some degree (although it often expands it in others, outright Stalin-esque violence towards large segments of the population is less likely in a democracy).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Torsten:

Solid_Choke:

I can't help that it is not the alleged racists and conspiracy theorists that are suffering from irrational and collectivist thought here. What you bring up is actually a political correct shaming device. My company gets frequently contributions from the public and I can tell you that a contributor must go out of his way before I would "distance myself" from him. I'm no totalist that checks the ideas of other people and then makes a list from whom I will distance myself in a ritual.

Brainpolice recently wrote an essay on the subject on racism:
http://mises.com/blogs/brainpolice/archive/2007/11/30/the-rational-and-individualist-case-against-racism.aspx
It's not perfect, since he uses strawmen to further his point, but it is far more differentiating then the usual manipulative and poltical correct crap one reads. 

Personally one ought to start a thread on his own on the subject of "racism"...

Thanks for the plug, for whatever it's worth.

I'd like to know which parts are strawmen. My charge of collectivism and polylogism? My charge of extreme biological determinism? My characterization of the views of separatists? Just to clarify, I support one's right to be a separatist in a voluntary context, but I think that the cause loses out in the long-run due to harmony-of-interest considerations (I.E. incentives). I also do not see many separatists as being content with a mere propertarian right to discriminate, but pushing further for mandatory discrimination on other people's property and treating the state as if it were private property. And I'm with Walter Block on the "bum in the library" question.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
gailaura replied on Sun, Dec 2 2007 10:32 PM

Choke

Unreasonable is in the beholder's eyes.  As a business owner, some get angry and make accusations.  My business continued for over 42 years in two different locations.  Obviously we did something right.  I simply let folks complain and went on with my work.  There were few complaints; however, had I taken the time to address the petty crap, my work would not get done.  My mind would concentrate on nonsense.

Dr. Paul has been a true conservative for 10 terms in Congress, frequently referred to as Dr. NO!  It seems his record stands on it's own.  Perhaps you should research just who this man is.

I have tried listening to Michael Medved and believe he's an obvious plant--a neo-con--a RINO!  A Republican in name only.  His continual interruption of any caller who shows knowledge and disagreement is obvious.  Oddly enough, after Michael Medved labeled Dr. Paul a ____???, Mona Charin wrote a column--not based on any fact--just name calling--Nazi--Jew hater, etc.  Absolute nonsense!

Do I consider MM prominent?  Not hardly!  Check out his background.  Let us know what you find out.

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 835

You may have missed it; Ron Paul has said quite recently both that racism is an ugy form of collectivism, and that he believes 9/11 was carried out by Al Qaeda

I personally am not buying the *official* government version of 9/11. I've done my own researching (as opposed to letting agents of the state and their lapdog media do it for me) and I'm thoroughly convinced that we haven't been given anything close to the truth. The fact the term "truther" has become derogatory -- that idea that searching for the truth somehow denotes instability -- I think is profoundly Orwellian; a kind of Hayekian "End of Truth" scenario.

However, Dr. Paul has stated that he believes it was Al Qaeda. To each his own. One thing I do know, his idea of the role of government and his emphasis on individual rights are right in line with mine; so frankly I could give a damn what he thinks about 9/11.

But as for Nazi's and such contributing to his campaign.... thats the one bad thing about freedom -- everybody wants it.

"The only idea they have ever manifested as to what is a government of consent, is this–that it is one to which everybody must consent, or be shot."
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Sun, Dec 2 2007 11:58 PM

Let's do this: Call on Rudy to denounce his supporters who believe that all Arabs should be bombed off the face of the planet. Ask Hillary about her contributions from defense contractors. Check on the Tancredo and Hunter supporters who want to build a double-thickness fence on the Mexican border at taxpayer expense. Then we'll talk about Ron Paul supporters who think the government might lie about terrorist attacks. Good points about 9/11 Truth. We have gotten a point where "truther" is an insult. This country deserves what it gets.
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Mon, Dec 3 2007 2:24 AM

Brainpolice:
I'd like to know which parts are strawmen. My charge of collectivism and polylogism? My charge of extreme biological determinism? My characterization of the views of separatists? Just to clarify, I support one's right to be a separatist in a voluntary context, but I think that the cause loses out in the long-run due to harmony-of-interest considerations (I.E. incentives).
That's a good start for the strawmen.Actually it's not even a strawman, it's a phantom. So I think one can start earlier. For example you are not naming a person or organization that is supposed to hold any of these views. Nor do you quote any works or publications that would support any of those "charges" you made. Even if you would find support for some of the "charges", that doesn't have to mean that they are normative for this political spectrum as a whole. Take for example the former Nationalist Party in South Africa, or any of the White Separatist organizations to the right of it. The NP was interventionist, but they were hardly collectivists. The same applies to "extreme biological determinism". While they acknowledged that there are behavioral difference between people from different races that have genetical causes, the effects of nurture were not denied.   

As for the "polylogism", what exactly would you mean with this? Perhaps that the thinking patterns of people may differ similarly to difference i.e. in sound patterns. You didn't reference it, but I think you got this from Mises "Human Action", were he makes similar charges.

Nationalism, Racialism, Ethnocentrism are political/social ideas that hold that there are important differences between "them" and "us". They are basically preferences for the "us".

If you'd like to discuss this further, you ought to start a special thread on that essay. This thread deals with whether Ron Paul needs to distance himself from certain supporters or not.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Nationalism, Racialism, Ethnocentrism are political/social ideas that hold that there are important differences between "them" and "us". They are basically preferences for the "us".

Yes, and in both cases, this "us" and this "them" are collectivist abstractions.

Anyways, yes, this is getting too off topic.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Mon, Dec 3 2007 8:17 AM

If that is "collectivist" abstractions, so would be the McDonalds, the Christians, the New Yorkers, and The Ford motor company employees. If according to this a "racist" or nationalist would have to be a "collectivist" with necessity, so would be any republican, good father, competent mayor, boss or pastor. Personally I think you are attaching a meaning to the term "collectivist" that is too broad (anything that is grouping people somehow together), but I still think you should start a special thread on your essay. Then we can discuss that in detail. Let us know here once, you've started this thread.

• | Post Points: 45
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

You're the one who brought it out here. Anyways, you've been responded to in private message.

Page 1 of 2 (50 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS