Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Defence in anarchy

This post has 434 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:41 PM

Ban-Evader:
You can leave the US and renounce your citizenship at any time. Does this make a society voluntarist?

What are you calling "a society"?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:41 PM

What do you think is the actual vs. intended purpose of a military?

To oppress the libertyloving proletariat.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:43 PM

Ban-Evader:
To oppress the libertyloving proletariat.

How about you give me a straight answer for once? Or is that too difficult for you?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:43 PM
Autolykos:

Aren't warlords just smaller states?

A state is a social fiction that has legal personhood, like a corporation. The state and the corporation were invented about the same time. A warlord is a person who has the allegiance of mean-at-arms and the means of conducting warfare. One is a person, the other is a social fiction.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:44 PM

How about you give me a straight answer for once? Or is that too difficult for you?

To serve the president and his cronies.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

I see your premises, Phi, and raise you the fact they only hold in a specific society that may or may not exist in the real world. But okay, if those premises are correct, then the rest of your argument holds.

Yet, all of your what-ifs are pertaining to (as is the entire focus of the thread, essentially) a hypothetical free society. So again, in a free society... You have yet to form a valid argument against said society. If anything, your arguments are actually unfavorable to the current model of the world.

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:44 PM

Malachi:
A state is a social fiction that has legal personhood, like a corporation. The state and the corporation were invented about the same time. A warlord is a person who has the allegiance of mean-at-arms and the means of conducting warfare. One is a person, the other is a social fiction.

Yeah, I tried editing the post, but the amazing forum software wouldn't let me. Let me rephrase: isn't warlordism just statism on a smaller scale?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:45 PM

Yes. That's the irony.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:45 PM

Ban-Evader:
To serve the president and his cronies.

Let's try this again. How about you give me a straight answer for once? Or is that too difficult for you?

Just so you know, I have no problem repeating this ad infinitum.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:47 PM

Let's try this again. How about you give me a straight answer for once? Or is that too difficult for you?

Just so you know, I have no problem repeating this ad infinitum.

Alright, let me give it a shot. The actual purpose was already given. The purported purpose was to kill anyone attacking the country.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:49 PM
The stated purpose of the military is to enforce foreign policy, and defend the nation and inhabitants. The actual purpose is to enforce the will of the state with violent acts. For this reason they are indoctrinated and socialized as separate from normal society, and made to differentiate themselves through appearance, language, actions and behaviors. This is nothing new, for a time the french made their soldiers wear black moustasches. The state will go to extreme measures to retain its monopoly on violence, thats what all this stuff is about.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:50 PM

Ban-Evader:
Alright, let me give it a shot. The actual purpose was already given. The purported purpose was to kill anyone attacking the country.

Where exactly was the actual purpose already given? And do you really think that the purported purpose is to specifically kill anyone attacking the country?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:51 PM

Where exactly was the actual purpose already given?

I'll go with Malachi's explanation.

And do you really think that the purported purpose is to specifically kill anyone attacking the country?

That's what guns are for.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:53 PM

Are guns the only weapons that military forces possess? Is the purpose of a gun only ever to kill specifically, as opposed to e.g. wounding or even just scaring off?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:53 PM
Autolykos:

Malachi:

Yeah, I tried editing the post, but the amazing forum software wouldn't let me. Let me rephrase: isn't warlordism just statism on a smaller scale?

I would argue that for the purpose of any given discussion, the differences may be irrelevant, however there are fundamental differences aside from scale, in that a warlordship is united by a personality, whereas a state is united by the idea of a shared identity. There may be other differences but it would be a needless digression to explore them. I promise I'm not trolling you.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:54 PM

Are guns the only weapons that military forces possess?

Nope

Is the purpose of a gun only ever to kill specifically, as opposed to e.g. wounding or even just scaring off?

Sure, you have a point there.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:56 PM

My understanding is that, historically, warlords have typically been tribal leaders, so there's also typically a sense of shared identity under warlordism (namely that of the tribe).

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:56 PM
Autolykos:

Are guns the only weapons that military forces possess? Is the purpose of a gun only ever to kill specifically, as opposed to e.g. wounding or even just scaring off?

This is a very astute question. Militaries have many weapons, and these weapons, even to include guns, have purposes beyond simply killing. Indeed, they are much more effective when used less for killing and more for...other things. Pm me for references lol
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:58 PM

Ban-Evader:
Sure, you have a point there.

So then you agree that the purpose of guns isn't only ever to kill specifically, which means the purported purpose of a military isn't only ever to kill specifically - which contradicts what you said previously. So what would you now say the purported purpose of a military is?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:58 PM

Auto, what was your point with the gun thing?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:58 PM

>The purported purpose of a military is?

To deter attack, I guess.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:59 PM

Answer my question, Evader of Bans.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:01 PM

Nevermind, you did answer it. This awesome forum isn't letting me edit my posts.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:01 PM

That was my answer. Are you typing?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:02 PM

But what's with the "I guess"? Are you just telling me what you think I want to hear? I'd rather you tell me what you really think.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:03 PM
The way I define the terms, tribes are aborigines, or people inspired by primitivist ideas to live in a neotribal setting, or somesuch. I consider a warlord to be an actual person. If we are talking about tribes, they arent states either, rather they are a people, and the tribe has no social fiction. Thats a generalization, I wouldnt doubt that some tribes had a collective social identity that was all of them and none of them, just like I wouldnt doubt that some tribes had forms of coercive government. I will add that I dont see the relevance in comparing these antecedent forms of social organization to states. Maybe thats why I keep digressing.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:04 PM

The intended purpose of the military is to defend society.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:05 PM

Come on, ask me what society means.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:05 PM

Malachi:
The way I define the terms, tribes are aborigines, or people inspired by primitivist ideas to live in a neotribal setting, or somesuch. I consider a warlord to be an actual person. If we are talking about tribes, they arent states either, rather they are a people, and the tribe has no social fiction. Thats a generalization, I wouldnt doubt that some tribes had a collective social identity that was all of them and none of them, just like I wouldnt doubt that some tribes had forms of coercive government. I will add that I dont see the relevance in comparing these antecedent forms of social organization to states. Maybe thats why I keep digressing.

In a nutshell, I think the state is far more ancient than you think it is. I can elaborate on this tomorrow.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:07 PM

Ban-Evader:
Come on, ask me what society means.

I don't care how predictable you think I am. Yes, I would like to know just what you mean by "society". I already asked you once before. While you're at it, you can also tell me what a military is intended to defend "society" from.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:07 PM
I am an American fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
article one of the code of conduct.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:10 PM
I'm interested to hear your elaboration. This isnt something I have widely researched, so I simply default to my references, I'm not really prepared to debate it.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:10 PM

Defend society from any threats .

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 7:44 AM

Very funny, Ban-Evader. So out of the five definitions for "society" in that link, which one are you using here?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:28 PM

I'm not sure where this is going, Auto.

Anyway, if the world was like Phi wanted it to be and people had a specific culture conducive to it, then sure, his idea would work. But I'm talking about a world that doesn't necessarily have those characteristics (ie, the real world).

Going back, it isn't clear why ancaps expect agencies to engage in certain types of anticompetitive behavior (like elimination of aggressive agencies), but not other types of anticompetitive behavior. Claiming that consumers will chose other agencies ignores the point that those choices would be eliminated by anticompetitive behavior.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

Well keep in mind, mustang19, that there are people that do believe in liberty and property and understand economics. Those people wish to have their society now. What's funny is the State refuses to let us be in peace. And that's the point. The State is in NO ONE'S interest. They are parasites and needs every host possible. Would you be opposed to a state or two in the union seceding and becoming free societies?

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:47 PM

If the people in that state decided that they wanted to secede, yes.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:49 PM

*As in, yes, I would support them in their succession if they wanted to secede (without reinstating slavery or anything).

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 421
Points 7,165

Correct, no slavery. But what if it was a county? Or a city? Or a town? Or just an individual with his own property? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 3,650
impala76 replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:17 PM

Sure, if it was any kind of reasonable social grouping that could provide for itself. You should be free to not pay taxes as long as you're not using dollars.

Page 9 of 11 (435 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS