Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Government babysitters

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric Posted: Sun, Jan 11 2009 8:37 PM

Today I tried to see Milk, I am  18 but I did not have my i.d. on me so I could not see the film, I then tried to bring an adult into the situation but they still would not let me see it. What is this world coming to. Sort of like Nazi Germany, "Papers!". I guess bureacrats know what is best for me, more so than my parents do.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 2,375

Although the government does foster, promote, and fund age restrictions on media. There is currently no law that requires them to bar anyone from watching their movies on the basis of age, it was most probably a private decision reached by the movie theatre company.

Also, the MPAA is the back-bone to America's age of censorship, which is private self-censorship. But it can be argued that the MPAA buys government support and uses government leverage to maintain it's monopolist-force over the movie industry. And it doesn't help that the government already censors our TVs and Radios(making people more willing to the concept of censorship). I can predict without the nanny state the MPAA wouldn't have much support or use, but I still predict that demand for movie ratings would still exist, and private and competing industries would set fair standards for movie ratings, and that movie theaters would still exercise their right to refuse service to those whom they do not believe would be mature enough to watch the movie. For a good documentary on the subject download This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

Thank You - Brandon

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Sun, Jan 11 2009 9:48 PM

I

Stranger:

You need to read The Case Against Adolescence.

Yea I have read that, good stuff.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 248
Points 4,355
Eric replied on Sun, Jan 11 2009 9:48 PM

I

Stranger:

You need to read The Case Against Adolescence.

Yea I have read that, good stuff.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 178
Points 2,440
nameless replied on Sun, Jan 11 2009 9:49 PM

haha I don't about you guys, but I'm most irked by the age restrictions on the purchase of alcohol.

Not Ranked
Posts 87
Points 1,815

10Brandonr:

For a good documentary on the subject download This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

I saw that one. Basically the message was that it would be better if the government toke care of the ratings instead of a private group of individuals because at least the government can be held accountable (yeah,right) an that the ratings should focus more on violence than sex.

And also that the rates are prudish and homophobic,witch is truth but not really news.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS