Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Torrents for media content?

This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,960
Saiphes Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2009 4:12 PM

Was there any discussion on the use of torrents to offload the bandwidth consumed by media delivery?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 10:24 AM

1.) Install Vuze: http://www.vuze.com/Download.html

2.) Download and open the files here:  http://mises.org/services/torrents/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'm a bit of a torrent newbie.  I have used them, but I can find them on public torrent searches.

When I looked the other day, I didn't see the Mises torrents JT referenced at the MIses circle on the public search engines I use.

Do I have to install Vuze?  I hate adding software.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 10:54 AM

liberty student:

When I looked the other day, I didn't see the Mises torrents JT referenced at the MIses circle on the public search engines I use.

We only submit the torrents to certain trackers.  You're welcome to submit them yourself though.

liberty student:
Do I have to install Vuze?  I hate adding software.

You can use any bittorrent client you like, but you do need to install one of them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Ok, thanks.  I might get around to that.  I'd be happy to contribute some bandwidth during these early phases.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230
Tex2002ans replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 11:06 AM

Vuze is very bloated.  utorrent is the best bit torrent client (very minimal, and very fast):

www.utorrent.com

And thank you for pointing us to the torrents HeroicLife, I just emailed Jeffrey Tucker about it and got a very quick reply to email you for questions about the torrents.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 7:40 PM

Awesome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 10:05 PM

torrents are the new way to peer to peer share....

well, its not that new, but it might be new to some of you....

utorrent is what you want to download...its super small and is free from crap loaded in it....

once you have it installed....the best places to get your torrents is from

thepiratebay.org and isohunt.com

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Hello, I had to register here after I saw the blog post 'Mises.org is going open source - volunteers wanted'. I have a LAMP web server with a 250GB/mo transfer quota, much of which is unused. I could help in mirroring some of the media content, namely, the pdf books. One big problem with the torrent (http://mises.org/services/torrents/books.torrent) is that all the files have short, cryptic names of which one can't know which file is which book. I think I could bundle one author's books in one zip file and share it via the web server, to make mass downloading more sensible. To avoid the need of crawling and parsing http://mises.org/literature.aspx manually, I am asking whether it is possible to pull out a CSV file from the database listing these columns: - author name - author id - book's full name - source (Online Books etc.) - url to pdf - last modified time Preferably the file should be periodicadilly updated and posted to a specified url. And no, the RSS feed doesn't seem to provide all the details.
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
Uh oh, for some reason all the line breaks disappeared from the post. Well, anyway, everyone should understand it.
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Mon, Apr 27 2009 9:26 AM

I'm downloading the Multimedia and Books torrents very happily, but I want to ask whether there will be any kind of public announcement or more attention drawn to the bittorrent service?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Mon, Apr 27 2009 10:15 AM

Shed:
I'm downloading the Multimedia and Books torrents very happily, but I want to ask whether there will be any kind of public announcement or more attention drawn to the bittorrent service?

Yes, it's just waiting for me to get around to writing it.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Mon, Apr 27 2009 10:24 AM

Ok :) .

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Tue, Apr 28 2009 1:30 AM

freedom_observer:
I am asking whether it is possible to pull out a CSV file from the database listing these columns: - author name - author id - book's full name - source (Online Books etc.) - url to pdf - last modified time Preferably the file should be periodicadilly updated and posted to a specified url.

I've shared the entire Mises.org database and the CSV of Mises Media and documents:  MisesMedia.csv

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115

HeroicLife:

I've shared the entire Mises.org database and the CSV of Mises Media and documents:  MisesMedia.csv

Thank you for responding. The packaging/mirroring of pdf books in a more user-friendly way was my primary idea, but I am open to other suggestions too.

I took a glance at the CSV file and it seems to be comma-separated, with some problems. Some of the titles have commas in them, so this breaks up the comma-separated structure. In some partsin the file, there are snippets of HTML code with line breaks, again breaking the structure (wonder why?)

It is quite difficult to parse the file with these flaws. Is it possible to fix them? I suggest making the file tab-separated, so commas in the columns won't matter. Another question is will this file be automatically updated, say, daily? I'd think making such a cron job would be fairly trivial.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Wed, May 13 2009 7:02 AM

It took me ages to sort all the books! It would be nice for other users if they were organised.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, May 27 2009 11:10 PM

Bump.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 115
***Breaking news*** :-)

I did finally decide just to write a parser script to process the web pages myself, so now the parsing problem is solved.

The compressed archives are uploaded, and can be found here: http://liberalismi.net/books/

Currently the site has only authors who had two or more books. You can send any comments etc here.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:38 AM

freedom_observer,

Good idea, thanks! Using your list, I've split my collection into One Book Only and Multiple Books :) .

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Shed replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 5:31 PM

Has the torrent server changed recently, possibly outsourced to theplanet.com? It is so much slower :( .

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:38 PM

I moved to a new server and recreated the torrents.  Please try downloading the torrents at http://mises.org/services/torrents/ - they should be pretty fast now.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 11:45 PM

Err, I am still having issues.  I need a bittorent pro to help me out.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 125
Mangix replied on Mon, Jul 20 2009 5:00 AM

has anyone considered web seeding? would be a nice solution to cut down bandwidth imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)#Web_seeding

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS