Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Live Blogging

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,190
Daniel J. Sanchez Posted: Sun, Jan 25 2009 6:40 PM

Thanks to Jeffrey Tucker's generous offer, I've started live blogging Principles of Economics by Carl Menger.  I have two posts on my blog NO FED, NO WAR, entitled Live Blogging Menger and Introduction by F.A. Hayek: Part 1.  Please let me know what you think!

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Actually, I'm going to ask everyone who wishes to announce liveblogging to do so here. I'll sticky this thread.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 119
Points 2,150

Daniel J. Sanchez:

Thanks to Jeffrey Tucker's generous offer, I've started live blogging Principles of Economics by Carl Menger.  I have two posts on my blog NO FED, NO WAR, entitled Live Blogging Menger and Introduction by F.A. Hayek: Part 1.  Please let me know what you think!

Damn You!  I was going to do that one.

Where I come from, the women don't glow, but the men definitely plunder. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

revolutionist:

Daniel J. Sanchez:

i suppose

http://docs.google.com/

and collaborate is one possibility?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Daniel J. Sanchez:

Thank you for this, I'm interested in taking part in this. So I'd be interested to see how you structure this.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,190

revolutionist:

I feel if any works deserve the live blogging treatment from multiple sources, then it would be the works of the great Austrians.  So feel free to live blog Principles as well.  I'm sure it will be fruitful to see two different viewpoints on the same work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Mon, Jan 26 2009 1:17 AM

Well, there is a For a New Liberty book club underway at econlog. Interesting comments from Bryan and the readers, I recommend.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
njal replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:01 AM

I also took him up on that offer, so I'll be live blogging Out of Work by Vedder and Galloway as soon as the book arrives. It'll probably take some time for the book to arrive, so I'll post again when I start.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I may be blogging on some of Mises's epistemological works and The Counter-Revolutution of Science by Hayek, depending on how soon I (re)read them.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 9:30 PM

Ok, so live blogging a book is among the hardest tasks I've ever undertaken. It is both draining me and giving me a real kick. It is really hard to cram and learn this much, treat the book fairly with full understanding, write interesting stuff, frame it up, etc. etc, and be diligent to the end. I hope I'm doing an ok job on this, and I would be very very much open to any criticisms on my writing and approach. I want to get  better at this. 

Actually I have to say that live blogging has been so beneficial for me personally that I figure I will pick up another book after this one. I sort of regret not having live blogged Ethics of Money Production when it came out. anyone want to do that one, by they way. Would be very happy to send a copy.

So I'm hestitant to pledge just now but I have to say that I like the daily discipline of live blogging one chapter per day, and I suspect that I will try to keep this up.

Chapter 9 is next in this book and I dread it because the topic is so darn difficult and I don't know enough about it. Painful but valuable.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

This is why I chose to begin live blogging books about history from a capitalist perspective. I hate it when people bring up "robber barrons" and supposed failures of 19th century capitalism and I have no response.

BTW, I have my first blog entry up on DiLorenzo's How Capitalism Saved America at my blog ajwitoslawski.blogspot.com. When I'm done with this, hopefully I'll be able to blog Hayek's Capitalism and the Historians or maybe Woods's 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

I'm intending to do Professor Hoppe's D:TGTF, or perhaps another book.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 2:48 PM

Excuse my ignorance. What's the difference between blogging and live blogging?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 151
Points 2,240
nje5019 replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 6:32 PM

I'm under the impression that the term 'live blogging' originated when people would blog in real time about their experiences at conferences so that people not attending the conferences could have an idea of what was going on. In the context of reading and discussing a book i feel like 'blogging' and 'live blogging' have much similar meanings.

Anyway, this semester I'm doing an independent study in business cycle theory, contrasting the approaches and theories of the major schools of thought. This thread has inspired me and I think I may start up a blog to discuss my progress as I read through and research for this.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw replied on Sun, Feb 15 2009 11:56 PM

So we get a "directors" commentator when it happens...

Mr. Tucker, I hope you share your progress. I'm a fan of your writing style.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 151
Points 2,240
nje5019 replied on Mon, Feb 16 2009 1:53 PM

jmw:

So we get a "directors" commentator when it happens...

Mr. Tucker, I hope you share your progress. I'm a fan of your writing style.

I think he already finished - http://blog.mises.org/archives/009393.asp

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 45
Ayaz Malik replied on Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:51 AM

anybody know of any art blogs??

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
seetheowl replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 2:44 PM

If anyone here runs a liberty blog but has trouble getting visitors and/or you want to blog, then drop me a message as I might be able to hook you up to write for an established blog where you'd be able to reach a larger audience.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

I have started to blog about the Ethics of Money Production.

What is worse, I learned a Gil Gillory is already blogging on the very same book... darn, maybe I can catch up on him. :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 125
Points 1,740
ziragt replied on Thu, May 21 2009 10:15 PM

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I just started a blog that will let me live-blog "The Legacy of Max Weber." I think it is a very underappreciated book and I would contend that it can be read in a Misesian light. I'm not sure how regularly it will be updated, but I will hopefully manage to post at least once a week. The blog is Kaleidic Society

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 50
Points 1,165
ForumsAdministrator
jmw replied on Fri, May 22 2009 10:16 PM

@ziragt - I'm following ya' on blogger.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Peter Sidor:
I have started to blog about the Ethics of Money Production.

What is worse, I learned a Gil Guillory is already blogging on the very same book... darn, maybe I can catch up on him. :)

The blogging is going along nicely. Does anybody know what happened to Gil Guillory? He seems to have stopped working on the book, or on anything for that matter.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 6
Points 65

I am on a 6-week assignment offshore, working 12 hrs/day, 7 days/week. I will return in about 4 weeks, and will finish the live blog then.

Gil

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 10:19 PM

I will be live blogging Man, Economy, and the State with Power and Market, scholar edition by Murray N. Rothbard at http://ancap.kibabase.com.

Thanks to Jeffery Trucker for giving me such an expensive book!

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

I can confirm, that liveblogging is a harrowing and rewarding experience. The blogging on Ethics of Money Production is now finished! It could be way better, but I could (mostly) stick to a schedule of one post a week. Think I need a serious break before trying the same with another book (plus there is another big project to work on).

Speaking of another book... I have now two at hand, that seem to be worth it:

- History of Inflations ("Geschichte der Inflationen") by Richard Gaettens, an older and relatively unknown book chock full of interesting historical information

- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism by Robert Murphy, a much more popular piece

Both should make for a fun reading, if in very different ways. Once I get around to it, which one do you think should I blog about?

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 176
Points 2,330
Jackson replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 9:34 AM

I call any and all Glenn Beck books.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, May 14 2010 1:18 AM

"I call any and all Glenn Beck books."

Then you'll never ever get a book, and rightfully so.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 1:01 AM

I didn't know Glenn Beck was a libertarian.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 18
Points 480

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_208910699119151&ap=1

Check out our "Man, Economy, and State with Power and Market" Facebook Study Group. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_208910699119151&ap=1 I have a blog at http://JimObject.com.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335

So I've noticed that a lot of these blogs are down. I'm willing to start a liveblog since I already have a political blog going (as I shamelessly promote in my sig). Are there any books that people would be interested in being liveblogged? I'd be writing from the perspective of a follower though not an expert of economics. Maybe The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History?

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Sat, May 28 2011 3:10 PM

How about Anatomy of the State?  I know it's really short (60 pages) and some of the stuff in it is Libertarian Intro 101, but it's one of the most effective treatises written on defining what the State is and how it operates.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335

I started today a live blog of the anti-federalist papers. I'll try to infuse my own perspecitve of the historical era, but it should be an interesting topic at least. I have the first one done, and there are plenty to go. I would provide the link, but I shamelessly plug it enough in my signature. 

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS