Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrianism = unscientific

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 98 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375
sirmonty posted on Mon, Feb 9 2009 12:36 AM

In discussing economics with a person, they made the claim that Austrian economics is unscientific.  When asked how it is unscientific, they simply linked the following link.

How would mises.org respond to this:

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-aussm.htm

• | Post Points: 110

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
Male
397 Posts
Points 6,785
Verified by laminustacitus

I am an Engineer.   I will tell you this.  To predict an outcome you must understand the fundamental principles underlying the topic under consideration.  The principles of chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, electronics, etc.. are all logically derived from laws - facts.  Principles that are derived from facts & laws (axioms) are sound and last the test of time.  Austrian Econ. is a science, not necessarily based on statistics, mathematical models and theories, but based on logic derived principles from facts underlying human behavior.

Modern day economics consist of simplistic models, diagrams, math and jargon.  Many created to model observed past statistics.  This is not science.  It's curve fitting.  You cannot fundamentally predict the outcome of an event based on curve fitting.   Modern day economics is not science.  It's guess work.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
22 Posts
Points 495

Math is a construct of logic, and when we're dealing with something that involves concrete data, it is highly useful to display that data in the most logical way, aka math. If you think math is some whimsical fiction that has no relevance, pertainance, or usefulness then you can tell that to the man who landed on the moon. Science depends on math. If you are going to dismiss math then I am going to dismiss you, because we're on two entirely separate incompatable planes.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

i think its insightful that you've transitioned form one fallacy  (about market failure through 'natural' monopoly) to another fallacy that the free market suffers from speculative bubbles, whereas a managed economy does not.

which one do you want us to blast to bits the hardest?, because you are asking us to put in a lot of effort to do both. and the fact that we are willing to demolish either, should tell you we are serious, and that perhaps you should spend sometime on quiet reflection, and reading something about what the Austrian perspective *really is* instead of barging here with all your assumptions and muddleheaded inherited fallacies.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

dismissing curves is not dismissing maths.

the point is math is great at adding potatoes. not so good at telling us how many *imaginary animals* there are in a real world room.

your favourite demand curves, give mathematical rigour to elaborate fictions.

referrence: http://mises.org/story/931

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095

CaseyKing:

Nirgraham

You said I misunderstand my own position. Forgive the candor but that's a really stupid thing to say. Whether or not I am correct is fine for you to debate, but I'm not arguing with myself. Don't be ridiculous.

You seem unable to accept the theoretical idea that only one firm could exist in a market. Since you apparently don't understand barrier to entry, i will give you an example from history. Standard Oil (19th century) controlled by John D Rockefeller who was the richest person in history.

barriers to entry include the enormous amount of capital you'd have to purchase to start up, not to mention access and ownership of limited resources, most especially oil. Because of these barriers no one could compete with him, even though they wanted to, even though the market was wide open. The barriers to entry were too enormous to allow for the market to correct itself. That's rock solid.

You are going to reference Standard Oil?  Do you understand how businesses work?  They raise capital from multiple investors. 

First of all, Standard Oil never had a monopoly on the market.  At most, they had ~80% of the market, at its height.  When it was broken up, it only had ~60% of the market.

Second of all, the cost of oil fell because of Standard Oil's efficiency.  Do you think this is detrimental to the consumer?

Third, and last, if people wanted to enter the market, they could do so easily by finding a better company and financing it.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 405
Santtu replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 1:37 PM

CaseyKing:
You seem unable to accept the theoretical idea that only one firm could exist in a market. Since you apparently don't understand barrier to entry, i will give you an example from history. Standard Oil (19th century) controlled by John D Rockefeller who was the richest person in history.

There's no reason why there could not be a market where the viable market structure is to have just one firm. The "optimal" number of firms on a given market is of no interest - a market could have a firm or many firms, and yet be just as competetive as any other.

The point to consider is barrier to entry, just as you said. Now, what is the greatest barrier to entry imagible? Legislation.

CaseyKing:
Because of these barriers no one could compete with him, even though they wanted to, even though the market was wide open. The barriers to entry were too enormous to allow for the market to correct itself. That's rock solid.

You're making a rather strong blanket statement here. You're saying that a given market could be such, that there would be a need of huge capital investments in order to compete with the "monopolist". There's a rather blatant problem with this sort of reasoning - substitutes. There's no concievable, realistic market where there are no possible substitutes for the product offered by the "monopolist". And if this holds, then there's no realistic scenario possible where there are such barriers to entry, that would grant a real monopoly to a company, other than legislation.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 85

Sorry, still amateurish.  Firstly, maybe I can guess what you mean, but you should choose your words more carefully.  Austrian economics is not a "laissez faire approach".  It is merely a description of reality.  If you think it is a correct description of reality then the conclusion that one must draw (which it does) is that we will all get the best out of the economy by not having govt meddle in it.

Secondly, Austrian economics does not depend or assume "an ideal level of competition".  Austrian economists think the perfect competition idea is nonsense, and, to quote Murray Rothbard, "would be bad if we had it".  Austrian economics recognises that sometimes it is hard to break into industries, and there is some inelasticity of demand and prices, but, sorry to say, that's as good as it gets.  You can't fix this by meddling in the economy - you will just make it worse.

Thirdly, your example completely ignores a major point (that is often ignored by "perfect competition" types) and that is that people don't actually have to buy pizza at all.  They can buy KFC, or McDs, or buy bread and make toast.  As long as there is something else for people to do with their food dollar, then the demand is in fact elastic.  This is a slightly different point but related so I won't start a new para - to say that there nothing stopping your so-called monopolistic pizza parlor from charging prices well above the true value is just silly.  Unless someone is being forced to sell, or forced to buy, or both, then the price IS the true value (I hope I don't need to elaborate on that).

Lastly, there IS something that the market can do to correct it.  Over time, competition in the market will correct it.  Monopolies cannot last for long periods of time without assistance from govt.

Really lastly, one thing that comes through from your argument (which is not the first time we have heard it) is an assumption that pizza should be available to you at a price that you consider good or proper value.  This, my friend, is no-one's right.  If you think pizza should be made and sold cheaper, then you go out and do it.  Otherwise you just have to settle for what the person who is doing it is willing to sell it for.

No, sorry, now really lastly - over-the-odds profit are regarded by Austrian economists as payment for being able to predict the future correctly, and before everyone else gets into the game.  There are not too many pizza parlors around now making super-profits.

I have to stop now - too much real work to do...

R

F

Top 500 Contributor
114 Posts
Points 1,960

That is a fascinating and wonderful website.  I can imagine building a game out of his assertions.. call it "Spot the fallacy!".. or better.. Fallacy Fever! Yeah, that's it!  Actually I'm quite glad to have found it.  I can't think of a better study guide than to refute his entire webpage.

His 10th ammendment argument amounts to "We won, stop complaining."

His explication of rights is also ... interesting.  Obvious that rights are not inalienable because hitler repealed the rights of jews?  He later specifies the difference between is and ought.. funny he forgot about that up above.  He explains that whites had the right to own blacks even though they morally shouldn't have... so.. why do people have a right not to be enslaved?  I guess because the majority of the population wants it that way. /shrug.

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 170

Your point about market failure is completely off. If there is a pizza company which is offering pizza in a market with high costs then the barrier to entry is being able to finance those high costs while still selling pizza at (to use your example) a high price. If those costs are so high that no other company can enter that market then the company which already exists is actually providing a great service to the market participants. For whatever reason this company is able to shoulder these high costs and still offer pizza to people. Without this company no one would have pizza.

The only way for a new company to enter this market would be if it could also afford these high costs but offer pizza at a comparable or lower price. The fact that one company is able to afford this "barrier to entry" is actually again beneficial to market participants. As long as you assume that the high costs are not created or caused by government intervention then those costs are simply a result of the market for the particular products needed to make pizza. A company which is able to shoulder these costs should be appreciated by the people who can buy pizza at whatever price rather than live in a world without pizza.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,511 Posts
Points 31,955

nirgrahamUK:

CaseyKing:

Not correct, peopel admire them for their aesthetic beauty. But you're distracting us from the main point. Which was that their market value became ridiculously greater than their actual value.

you have no value theory.

Indeed. CaseyKing, there is no such thing as "actual value", "intrinsic value", or whatever other wording there is. Value exists due to individual, subjective preferences, not by the objective properties of a good.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Page 7 of 7 (99 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS