Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Lew Rockwell: The Left, the Right and the State

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student Posted: Mon, Feb 9 2009 1:51 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/?p=episode&name=2009-02-08_098_the_left_the_right_and_the_state.mp3

Smile

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Points 1,375

Good podcast! Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 6:41 PM
Wow. They just keep repeating the monarchist stuff. I didn't get past 3:30...According to Rockwell "you're far better off with a monarch..."

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Not Ranked
Posts 90
Points 2,215
RogueMerc replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:39 PM

I don't know if I can agree with the idea that we would be better off with a monarch.  There have been some kings who were downright tyrannical, perhaps never to the extreme of totalitarians, but certainly worse than those who govern western societies today.  Take the 'Sun King', Louis XIV of France for example, who felt that he was entitled to absolute power, or King John of England whose foul deeds inspired the Magna Carta.

Among the other horrible things about kings, they favored controlling the churches, while persecuting those who did not share the same religion.  Frankly, I don't remember the last time protestants and catholics shed each others blood in the streets.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 11:03 PM

RogueMerc:

I don't know if I can agree with the idea that we would be better off with a monarch.  There have been some kings who were downright tyrannical, perhaps never to the extreme of totalitarians, but certainly worse than those who govern western societies today.  Take the 'Sun King', Louis XIV of France for example, who felt that he was entitled to absolute power, or King John of England whose foul deeds inspired the Magna Carta.

Among the other horrible things about kings, they favored controlling the churches, while persecuting those who did not share the same religion.  Frankly, I don't remember the last time protestants and catholics shed each others blood in the streets.

I don't remember Louis XIV burning entire cities to the ground and starving their population, which the enlightened democrats of Britain and the USA did merrily in the 20th century.

The first genocide, let us never forget, was organized by the enlightened democrats who deposed Louis XVI and declared themselves the nation-state.

By the way if you don't remember Protestants and Catholics shedding each others' blood in the streets, you haven't paid much attention to Ireland.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

RogueMerc:

What does Austrian theory say about a priori truths?

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 444
Points 7,395

the mass slaughter of the 20th century is incomprehensible to the human mind.  we simply can not grasp the totality of it.  hence when compaing monarchies to democracies you get people going "but the monarchies had wars!"  yes.  small wars between professional soliders.  Without the massive tax base that collectivism brings you simply can not raise an army and resources enough to devestate a continent.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 90
Points 2,215
RogueMerc replied on Tue, Feb 10 2009 6:00 PM

RogueMerc:

Stranger:
I don't remember Louis XIV burning entire cities to the ground and starving their population, which the enlightened democrats of Britain and the USA did merrily in the 20th century.

Maybe the USA during the Civil War, sure.  But the only other times where they even came close to doing those things would have been to other countries, like in Dresden, Germany or in Vietnam.  Despicable, sure.  But not even close to genocidal.

Besides, there were many other kings and nobles besides Louis XIV.  I suggest you read about the massive and deadly religious wars that took place in Europe after Martin Luther came on the scene.

Stranger:
The first genocide, let us never forget, was organized by the enlightened democrats who deposed Louis XVI and declared themselves the nation-state.

Haven't you read about how whole civilizations were wiped out during various wars in Medieval times under kings?

Stranger:
By the way if you don't remember Protestants and Catholics shedding each others' blood in the streets, you haven't paid much attention to Ireland.

That is really the exception rather than the rule.  Before the 20th century, it was far more common throughout the western world.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS