Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Are all topics serious topics?

rated by 0 users
This post has 82 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

I tried to make a non-serious topic about guidos, but that was downrated immediately. Libertarians are too highbrow for internet nonsense.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 5:18 PM

It's not libertarians in general. Just this forum. The forum where I was introduced to libertarianism once had an epic thread about guidos.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 1,585
G8R HED replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:39 PM

Ad hominy:  plural of ad hominem

How many Miseians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Who cares? Let the objectivests do it.

They screw UP all the time.

Two Austrians makin' woopie.

Who let the causality out.

Austrian breakfast sausage.

Menger bangers.

How many strawmen make a bale?

Hayek......who knows?

What's the difference between a philosopher and a tautological semanticist?

.....PhD.

"Oh, I wish I could pray the way this dog looks at the meat" - Martin Luther

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 1,585
G8R HED replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:40 PM

.....now I feel dirty. Embarrassed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 1,585
G8R HED replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:06 PM

(.....don't tell tokyo tom.  he'll make me pay for turning white rice brown.)  Surprise  Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Happy New Year, Mises forums.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

In Soviet Russia, party finds YOU!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

In America, parties fine YOU!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:09 AM

I had the best damn meatballs EVER tonight. They were made with equal parts homemade chili sauce and grape jelly. Sounds gross; tastes like a culinary orgasm.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 410
ShroomyD replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:31 AM

An-cap saves lives ^^
http://www.ancap.com.au/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:06 AM

ShroomyD:

An-cap saves lives ^^
http://www.ancap.com.au/

Hahaha Big Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:55 AM

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard, or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious, or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite enough,

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 13
Points 185

I think it just depends on the individual, or the individual post.

Some topics I'm sure are lighthearted and you get some wisecracks and some serious answers.  Some serious topics get wisecracks and serious answers.  It's like anything else.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345

A Keynesian and an Austrian have a local bookstore they both like.

The Austrian says, "I'll buy something from this store, thereby supporting it!"

The Keynesian says, "I'll pick bookstores at random, and buy books from them.  Thereby increasing total aggregate demand in books, which will increase the average book price, and thereby give my bookstore more profit!"

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:44 AM

"It's a GM (government motors car)".

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 377
Points 7,180
Ansury replied on Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:13 PM

On a semi serious (not really) note, a question:  Would it be at all offensive, bizarre, or wholly inappropriate to use a Toshiro Mifune avatar for these forums? (heh heh..)

Given that he starred in mostly brutal, savage, maximal-oppressive samurai flicks that had absolutely nothing in common with anything related to this site?  I mean, yeah, that period (in authoritarian Japan of all places) is pretty much the polar opposite of a libertarian paradise in most ways, but it's good entertainment still!  Stick out tongue

Actually, never mind, I'd rather not have the ghost of Mises come to haunt me. Big Smile

MacFall:

I had the best damn meatballs EVER tonight. They were made with equal parts homemade chili sauce and grape jelly. Sounds gross; tastes like a culinary orgasm.

Sounds a little like a simple recipe for meatballs (works good on meatloaf too) I've discovered.  1/2 ketchup, 1/2 currant jelly - again sounds gross, but once it blends that's some good shiate.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240
Hard Rain replied on Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:28 PM

It's from 1970, but it's still very appropriate.

THIS IS NOT A SONG IT'S AN OUTBURST: OR THE ESTABLISHMENT BLUES 

The mayor hides the crime rate
council woman hesitates 
Public gets irate but forget the vote date 
Weatherman complaining, predicted sun, it's raining 
Everyone's protesting, boyfriend keeps suggesting 
you're not like all of the rest

Garbage ain't collected, women ain't protected
Politicians using, people they're abusing
The mafia's getting bigger, like pollution in the river
And you tell me that this is where it's at

Woke up this morning with an ache in my head
I splashed on my clothes as I spilled out of bed 
I opened the window to listen to the news 
But all I heard was the Establishment's Blues.

Gun sales are soaring, housewives find life boring
Divorce the only answer smoking causes cancer
This system's gonna fall soon, to an angry young tune 
And that's a concrete cold fact

The pope digs population, freedom from taxation
Teeny Bops are uptight, drinking at a stoplight
Miniskirt is flirting I can't stop so I'm hurting
Spinster sells her hopeless chest

Adultery plays the kitchen, bigot cops non-fiction
The little man gets shafted, sons and monies drafted
Living by a time piece, new war in the Far East
Can you pass the Rorschach test?

It's a hassle it's an educated guess.
Well, frankly I couldn't care less.

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 6:05 PM

Somewhat funny. http://funcage.com/blog/why-i-fired-my-secretary/

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,600

Not offices and bureaucrats, but big business deserves credit for the fact that most of the families in the United States own a motorcar and a radio set.Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

In memory of Frederic Bastiat, regards, onebornfree.

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 10:53 AM

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 11:00 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 11:07 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 2,600

Not offices and bureaucrats, but big business deserves credit for the fact that most of the families in the United States own a motorcar and a radio set.Ludwig von Mises

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 397
Points 6,785
bearing01 replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 12:02 AM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 2,055

Perhaps, there should be a political shenanigans forums or an off topic forum.

However, I think a mode of formality should be retained and encouraged throughout the general forums.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 11:43 AM
Interesting trivia: first picture is a scan from Chicago Tribune from 1934. History repeats itself indeed.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 8:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dEtaNx2Vc

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Fri, May 7 2010 12:52 AM

If Bernanke and Geithner were pilots (they do try to pilot the economy, though)

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Doug Stanhope on Freedom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTOQhPd2Xh4

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Fri, May 14 2010 7:27 PM

A one-liner to share:

So Walter Block and Murray Rothbard are in a lifeboat...

Also, I used to get pissed off a lot when watching T.V. or reading the news.  I now don't.  The trick?  Every time I heard someone clamour for more government I replaced the word 'government' with 'mythical fairy beast' and all the relevant terms to their equivalent.

"Without the mythical fairy beast, we would have economic depressions and no roads would be built!"

"The last top guardian of the mythical fairy beast tried to keep the mythical fairy beast from regulating the economy.  We see how well that turned out!"

"The top guardian of the mythical fairy beast, Obama, declared that BP would have to sacrifice its first-born to appease the mythical fairy beast."

The news is hilarious now.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping to come up with a comment while  I was busy objecting....I didnt.  

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 7:13 PM

I love you for that Phoenix Wright reference, SirThinkALot. Very great games.

So I'm not too off-topic: 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 11:58 PM

Amazing Grace Period - Max Keiser sings

[view:http://maxkeiser.com/watch/max-sings/max-keiser’s-subprime-blues-dustin-remix/:640:680]

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25
shahzeb replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:25 AM

wow nice thread :)

here is mine reply to all the cat lovers cheeky

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 10:59 PM

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595
Dear Mr. Ag Secretary:

My friend Mort Wilson received a check for $1,000 from the government for not raising hogs. So I want to get into the "not raising hogs" business next year. What I want to know is, in your opinion, what is the best type of farm to not raise hogs on, and what is the best breed of hogs not to raise?

If I get $1,000 for not raising 50 hogs, will I get $2,000 for not raising 100 hogs? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 4,000 "not raised" hogs, which will give me $80,000 income the first year. Then I can afford an airplane.

Now, another thing: These hogs I will not raise will not eat 100,000 bushels of corn. I understand that you also pay farmers for not raising corn and wheat. Will I qualify for payments for not raising wheat and corn not to feed the 4,000 hogs I am not going to raise?

I am also considering not milking cows, so please send me information on that, too.

In view of these circumstances, I understand that the government will consider me unemployed, so I plan to file for unemployment and food stamps. Be assured that you will have my vote in the coming elections.

Patriotically yours,
A. Prospective Farmer
Kansas

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

ASSAULT RIFLE CONFISCATION RESISTED BY ARMED EXTREMISTS

BOSTON (AP) - National guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed on April 19th by elements of a paramilitary extremist faction. Military and law enforcement officials estimate that 72 were killed and more than 200 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.

Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement.

Gage blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices. The governor, who described the group's organizers as "criminals," issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government's efforts to secure law and order.

The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed widespread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons. Gage issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week. This decision followed a meeting earlier this month between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms.

One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that "none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned over their weapons voluntarily. "

Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily-armed extremists who had been tipped-off regarding the government's plan.

During a tense standoff in Lexington's town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the extremists.

Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange. Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units. Colonel Smith, finding his forces over-matched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat.

Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor has also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government forces. Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as "ringleaders" of the extremist faction, remain at large.

(The day and month you know, but the year was 1775.)

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Page 2 of 3 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS