Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Stuff we can do

This post has 242 Replies | 60 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Steve:
I find one of the most difficult subjects to tackle is democracy. Does anyone have a good way to go about this without sounding crazy to most people?

I'm going to post this in the naive hope this doesn't turn into another left/ right discussion, and any such replies will be deleted.

I think the best way is to draw from Hoppe and compare the incentive structure for a monarch and a democratically elected leader. Keep in mind monarchy has, correctly, been discredited for many, many years now. If you can convince somebody that monarchy is superior to democracy, the same reasoning will leader them to anarchism.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

I'm being serious here: run for local office. If you're a good speaker and have the other necessary attributes I think this is a good idea. You will never win, but with a large enough fan base you can reach some people.

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Ron Paul much?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

I think an emotional intelligence test should be optional, to see if one is capable of arguing without throwing an intellectual hissy fit about people not agreeing with them. 

Stickers & badges should be awarded out to those who can demonstrate this, both within and outside of the libertarian communitie(s).

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

I think an emotional intelligence test should be optional, to see if one is capable of arguing without throwing an intellectual hissy fit about people not agreeing with them.

GOD, SHUT UP!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

krazy kaju:

GOD, SHUT UP!

NO U xinfinity GOSH  Devil

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 5,355

I would like to stress the importance of educating ONESELF! I was loosely "pro free market" even ten years ago. But out of lazyness, only recently have I read the key works of Mises and understood the brilliant elegance of the free market. To promote the message, I intend to summorize Misean economics in a few sentences. People won't even recognize it as economics (since there's no +/-% in it). It will simply be declaration of why individual liberty obviously is what they actually want, morally and practically. I think that this message is best spread by stone facing it as the matter of fact which it actually is, between four eyes. We don't have to fight "opinions". It's they who have to fight nature and logic in order to oppose us.

I cannot stop promoting this book (which still hasn't been dugg by anyone!!!) http://mises.org/econcalc.asp I mean, it has been logically proven that non-capitalism is impossible in the post-hunting/gathering society. How important isn't that? Sure, Gallileo found moons and stuff, but THIS logic actually conerns us all everyday!

OT section:

liberty student:
But if you do it again, there will be trouble.  I might have to hurt a bunny rabbit.   And you don't want that on your conscience.  Wink

You are a very dangerous person!

(Can we use that kind of argument to promote freedom? No, I guess not...)

jason4liberty, your signature:

"One hundred TRILLION Zimbabwe dollar note"

Oh no! My big number avatar has been inflated into oblivion. What comes after trillion? They used to call large number "astronomical". Now we should say that the distance to the galaxes can only be described by "monetary" numbers...

It's not fascism when the government does it.

“We must spend now as an investment for the future.” - President Obama

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

If you got the dough, you should buy books like "Economics for Real People" and "Economics in One Lesson" in bulk and donate them to numerous public libraries. When someone with a passing interest in econ sees those books, s/he might borrow them, giving them a good intro to the Austrian school.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

krazy kaju:
If you got the dough, you should buy books like "Economics for Real People" and "Economics in One Lesson" in bulk and donate them to numerous public libraries.

This.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The Mises store has Econ in One Lesson at a bulk discount.  I think that was the intention behind the pricing structure.

Another good target group are home schoolers.  There may be some segments of the population that we ignore because we assume they are already on the same page as us.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 12:36 PM

krazy kaju:

If you got the dough, you should buy books like "Economics for Real People" and "Economics in One Lesson" in bulk and donate them to numerous public libraries. When someone with a passing interest in econ sees those books, s/he might borrow them, giving them a good intro to the Austrian school.

I think we should go further on this strategy.  

I think we should take advantage of developing streamlined versions of assorted texts, both in possibly length (i.e. deciding on which chapters are pertinent enough to get the conversation going and/or the individual to think or question), & in the means of production, such as developing a shortened version of the book made with cheaper, less costly materials that are allow for more bulk purchases at less of a loss for the process of proliferation as a whole.

However, copyright & such would have to be addressed for such to occur.  I think that shortened, cheaper made (materials wise) versions of vital texts could also take advantage of the latest Creative Commons License, Creative Commons Zero (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/zero/1.0/ ), which essentially a more radical version of the BSD license, in that it pretty much says "do whatever you want with this material and/or item, no strings attached".  

Relieving the worry of copyright could make the cost, both socially & physically, of spreading the material essentially free, & free is pretty hard to compete with when you are talking about spreading ideas in volumes.  

Each copy could also have a notice such as "Like what you've read?  Visit :blah blah blah: for the actual books, and mention the below coupon to get a sizable percent off of your purchase!".  Just as free is hard to compete with, so is the possibility of getting a good deal off of a purchase.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

There are also two more perspectives I don't think we're hitting heavily enough upon.

The first is developing content for different mediums.  When it comes to video, the liberty movement as a whole is fantastic, but the non-LvMI official stuff is woeful.  There is very little austrian or libertarian content coming from this end of the grassroots.  And since most of you are young people without Masters degrees, maybe you could make yourselves useful and engage YouTube without preaching to the crowd but to the masses.

Wink

The second is, America is dying.  I think there are tremendous NON-english opportunities to spread the liberty message to Asia and Africa.  Particularly Asia, which is going to be the center of economic and political power very soon.  No disrespect to my American brothers, but if you can see beyond your life time, then it seems quite apparent to me, that while we're all interested in our local paradigm, the ability to reach whole populations without this knowledge could be more powerful than convincing your neighbor to turn off the Green Bay Packers for an hour to talk about Rothbard.

This is of course, unless you have a Masters degree, in which case, keep focusing on forum argumentation.  Stick out tongue

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,960
Saiphes replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 7:53 PM

A deck of cards each with a different public school myth on them.

A small quiz pamphlet about the presidents or wars - something that taunts them like "How smart are you?"; that gets main stream folks.

I'm Still looking for a best of collection of mises MP3s - I've begun downloading ones that I think hit particularly hard, but are less offensive, and speed them up..

On a side note, I've had 1 republican say that Mises.org has really made him question some of his views.  I posted a John Denson mp3 about war on facebook on president's day.

I think, also, making mises mp3s available with appropriate titles on torrents and on p2p networks might catch a few people looking for educational material.

*edit* forgot one: Mail a collection of Mises review articles to local social studies teachers - perhaps the one about James Watt: Monopolist, I particularly like the strategy of introducing people to Dr. DiLorenzo's *defense* article of _The Real Lincoln_.  Perhaps a CD with LeFevre's Industrial Revolution talks on it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Saiphes:
A deck of cards each with a different public school myth on them.

That seems like a good idea. It would even reach out to those who don't care about politics at all.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 8:51 PM

liberty student:

Steve:

Steve:
I find one of the most difficult subjects to tackle is democracy. Does anyone have a good way to go about this without sounding crazy to most people?

I'm always met with silence when I bring it up.  I tend to equate it to all of the mob rule injustices (genocide in germany, iraq war, electing Bush for dems, electing Obama for republicans).  I don't have a good tactic for it yet.

I think the joke goes:

"What are the two most historically important people to Western Civilization? Arguably, but agreeably - Socrates and Jesus Christ.
Who killed Socrates and Jesus Christ?

Democracy did."

Smile I think Hoppe, or someone at least mentioned it in a lecture.

In terms of building a Libertarian community, I've just recieved a Ron Paul shirt and will be wearing it around Campus. Hopefully I can flush out those who are not online much, but know of him. So advertisements - broadcasting the message, clothing wise.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,960
Saiphes replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:08 PM

I've had an urge to pick up the Rothbard "Enemy of the State" Tee... even though I usually don't wear Tees.  I love the resemblance to various Gene Hackman characters especially.  I wonder if that was intentional.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

The Rothbard "Enemy of the State" tee definitely looks good. I'm not too hot about the other ones though. In any case, I'm not sure if wearing a t-shirt is the right way to go. I doubt anyone will see a Ron Paul or a Rothbard t-shirt and then decide to debate you and/or go home and google them. The more traditional door-to-door pamphlet and/or DVD idea seems like a better plan to me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 10:26 PM

Conza88:

I think the joke goes:

"What are the two most historically important people to Western Civilization? Arguably, but agreeably - Socrates and Jesus Christ.
Who killed Socrates and Jesus Christ?

Democracy did."

Smile I think Hoppe, or someone at least mentioned it in a lecture.

Does that mean Hoppe belives the Jews killed Jesus

(Sorry for sidestepping again, but khmm...)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 6:27 AM

GilesStratton:

I'm being serious here: run for local office. If you're a good speaker and have the other necessary attributes I think this is a good idea. You will never win, but with a large enough fan base you can reach some people.

Get yourself an appointment to the Lords!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Marko:

Jeesh, someone didn't go to Sunday school. Remember how Pontius Pilate put Jesus and that other dude in front of the crowd and let them choose which one will die? Pontius Pilate even fought to keep Jesus alive.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

krazy kaju:

Marko:

Jeesh, someone didn't go to Sunday school. Remember how Pontius Pilate put Jesus and that other dude in front of the crowd and let them choose which one will die? Pontius Pilate even fought to keep Jesus alive.

Warning off-topic tangent.

The choice between Jesus Christ and the "robber" Barbaras was a choice between two messianic figures. Barbaras was desrcibed to be a "robber" in John 18:40; however, to truly understand who he is it is necessary to understand that in the Greek the Gospels were written in "robber" had become synonymmous for "resistence fighter" thanks to the political climate of Judea at that time. Also, his name "Barbaras" means "son of the father" (up until the third century Jesus himself was referred to Jesus Barbaras - Jesus son of the Father), and when Matthew 27:16 refers to him as "a notorious prisoner" it is easy to conclude that Barbaras was a prominant leader of the resistence fighters.

Ergo, the choice between Jesus and Barbaras represents a choice between a Messiah who promises freedom through a self-won armed struggle that promises not only freedom but a real kingdom of this earth, while Jesus represents self-sacrifice, and suffering as the only way to achieve true life. 

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 341
Points 6,375
sirmonty replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 11:28 AM

Saiphes:

I've had an urge to pick up the Rothbard "Enemy of the State" Tee... even though I usually don't wear Tees.  I love the resemblance to various Gene Hackman characters especially.  I wonder if that was intentional.

I wear that shirt all the time.  One of my favorites.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 11:44 AM

Here's one idea I have: choose about four or five of your favorite pamphlets at isil.org and order a hundred of them. Then, order a hundred of the Campaign for Liberty recruitment brochures (seen here. Now, get about five members of your local libertarian party or some other liberty-minded people to pass these pamphlets out and buy them all the Campaign for Liberty polos (they look nice, creating a good impression) to wear when they pass out the pamphlets.

Here's the battle plan: you and the others choose a neighborhood. Every weekend you go door to door to a hundred houses to pass out the pamphlets you chose. Since you chose about four or five pamphlets, it should take you four or five weekends. Hopefully, at least five people are interested in your ideas. When you're done passing out those pamphlets, go door to door passing out the Campaign for Liberty brochures.

You should be able to convert at least some people at a relatively low cost ($25 for pamphlets + $17 for brochures + $125 for shirts + shipping costs + time). You can then repeat the process, which will be cheaper since you won't have to pay for the shirts. If you really want to go extravagant, buy a few books like Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto and A Foreign Policy of Freedom as well as a few others like Callahan's Economics for Real People and Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson and loan these books to the newbies you convert. An even more extravagant scheme would be renting some commercial space in order to create a little Campaign for Liberty focal point where you could try to attract converts, similar to Scientology churches (but better!).

Ron Paul conservatism is the gateway drug to minarchism and eventually anarchism, so we really should get working on this.

laminustacitus:

krazy kaju:

Marko:

Warning off-topic tangent.

The choice between Jesus Christ and the "robber" Barbaras was a choice between two messianic figures. Barbaras was desrcibed to be a "robber" in John 18:40; however, to truly understand who he is it is necessary to understand that in the Greek the Gospels were written in "robber" had become synonymmous for "resistence fighter" thanks to the political climate of Judea at that time. Also, his name "Barbaras" means "son of the father" (up until the third century Jesus himself was referred to Jesus Barbaras - Jesus son of the Father), and when Matthew 27:16 refers to him as "a notorious prisoner" it is easy to conclude that Barbaras was a prominant leader of the resistence fighters.

Ergo, the choice between Jesus and Barbaras represents a choice between a Messiah who promises freedom through a self-won armed struggle that promises not only freedom but a real kingdom of this earth, while Jesus represents self-sacrifice, and suffering as the only way to achieve true life.

I'm aware that the choice was between two Messiahs, yet that doesn't change the fact that Jesus was killed by democracy. And it's only a joke so... lol.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

krazy kaju:
I'm aware that the choice was between two Messiahs, yet that doesn't change the fact that Jesus was killed by democracy. And it's only a joke so... lol.

Thus the off-topic tangent. Stick out tongue It wasn't an insult to anyone's intelligence, just something interesting.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 261
Points 5,205
Danno replied on Mon, Mar 2 2009 1:28 PM

1. Research propaganda, mob psychology, and advertising - reasoned debate is satisfying, but very few get excited about it.

2. Invent an enjoyable game with a subtext.  It's amazing what people will absorb while they think they're having fun.

3. Catchy and amusing bumper stickers, buttons, and t-shirts - the more amusing, the more effective.  Lots of people pointed out the problems with the Church - George Carlin made it funny, and people actually listened.  A bumper sticker on your car is seen by how many people every day?  If it catches their attention, it'll be effective.

4. Condense lengthy to concise, even pithy.  If you're having a deep, lenghty conversation at a bar or in a line, nobody will notice - but let them overhear "Nobody ever spent themselves out of financial trouble" or "how come kiting checks only works when governments do it?", and they'll start thinking.  Getting them to start thinking along those lines is the hard part, but the only part that's needed to be effective.

5. Any musicians out there?  The songs of the socialist/populist movement in the 1920s were remarkably effective.

6. Small, local newspapers are always on the lookout for submissions.  If you can report on an event of local importance, you can point out the parts you think are relevant.

7. Most of all, entertain 'em.  You can have remarkable sway over people you're entertaining, and you're very likely to have their attention to the degree that they're enjoying it.

Danno, thinking that the psych background wasn't wasted, after all.

The avatar graphic text:

"Are you coming to bed?" 

"No, this is important" 

"What?"

"Someone is wrong on the internet."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 4,895
Nick. B replied on Mon, Mar 2 2009 1:47 PM

Danno:

1. Research propaganda, mob psychology, and advertising - reasoned debate is satisfying, but very few get excited about it.

2. Invent an enjoyable game with a subtext.  It's amazing what people will absorb while they think they're having fun.

3. Catchy and amusing bumper stickers, buttons, and t-shirts - the more amusing, the more effective.  Lots of people pointed out the problems with the Church - George Carlin made it funny, and people actually listened.  A bumper sticker on your car is seen by how many people every day?  If it catches their attention, it'll be effective.

4. Condense lengthy to concise, even pithy.  If you're having a deep, lenghty conversation at a bar or in a line, nobody will notice - but let them overhear "Nobody ever spent themselves out of financial trouble" or "how come kiting checks only works when governments do it?", and they'll start thinking.  Getting them to start thinking along those lines is the hard part, but the only part that's needed to be effective.

5. Any musicians out there?  The songs of the socialist/populist movement in the 1920s were remarkably effective.

6. Small, local newspapers are always on the lookout for submissions.  If you can report on an event of local importance, you can point out the parts you think are relevant.

7. Most of all, entertain 'em.  You can have remarkable sway over people you're entertaining, and you're very likely to have their attention to the degree that they're enjoying it.

Danno, thinking that the psych background wasn't wasted, after all.

I agree a 100% with Danno.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 4,895
Nick. B replied on Mon, Mar 2 2009 1:57 PM

I have a suggestion as far as the Mises's literary and store section goes. Unless I am unaware of the current situation with the aforementioned, I believe the only tongue that Austrian literature can be read in the literary section, and sold in the store section, is in English. Well, why don't we begin translating the definitive works and shorter texts into other languages? I know it would take time and much effort, but it would widen our audience.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 279
Points 4,645

krazy kaju:

Here's one idea I have: choose about four or five of your favorite pamphlets at isil.org and order a hundred of them. Then, order a hundred of the Campaign for Liberty recruitment brochures (seen here. Now, get about five members of your local libertarian party or some other liberty-minded people to pass these pamphlets out and buy them all the Campaign for Liberty polos (they look nice, creating a good impression) to wear when they pass out the pamphlets.

Here's the battle plan: you and the others choose a neighborhood. Every weekend you go door to door to a hundred houses to pass out the pamphlets you chose. Since you chose about four or five pamphlets, it should take you four or five weekends. Hopefully, at least five people are interested in your ideas. When you're done passing out those pamphlets, go door to door passing out the Campaign for Liberty brochures.

You should be able to convert at least some people at a relatively low cost ($25 for pamphlets + $17 for brochures + $125 for shirts + shipping costs + time). You can then repeat the process, which will be cheaper since you won't have to pay for the shirts. If you really want to go extravagant, buy a few books like Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto and A Foreign Policy of Freedom as well as a few others like Callahan's Economics for Real People and Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson and loan these books to the newbies you convert. An even more extravagant scheme would be renting some commercial space in order to create a little Campaign for Liberty focal point where you could try to attract converts, similar to Scientology churches (but better!).

Ron Paul conservatism is the gateway drug to minarchism and eventually anarchism, so we really should get working on this.

The biggest flaw here is that pamphlets are relatively long. Very few people on the margins will read them. Now on this thread at the Young Americans for Liberty Forums they posted some posters that are easy to digest and then once viewed could set people in the right direction. At the every least since the posters have no names on it it will make it seem like you are cornering the room, like there are dozens more libertarians around that they haven't met and therefore make the libetarian message seem more significant to your fellows either in your campus or your neighborbhood. 

All those who will listen will listen. And those who won't look at a website after seeing a poster imho won't take the time to read a full pamphlet anyhow. Also, these posters drive viewers to Antiwar.com (which could use the extra visits and therefore increased ad money after it nearly didn't pull out the necessary amount from it's fundraising drive) and mises.org which is always educational and helpful.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 663
Points 10,885

sirmonty:

Saiphes:

I wear that shirt all the time.  One of my favorites.

Same, love it.

The difference between libertarianism and socialism is that libertarians will tolerate the existence of a socialist community, but socialists can't tolerate a libertarian community.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180
markb57 replied on Tue, Mar 3 2009 10:36 AM

Great line...

"All those who will listen will listen."

I'm really happy to find this thread. I logged on hoping to find one just like this. I think these are all great ideas. One poster used the term "gateway drug." That is a great term for what we need,  and could I suggest that the best gateway drug for most *voting* Americans, is "Sound money". At 51, I guess I am older than most of you, although I am a very young Austrian. Just as this is a key time for Democrats to push through their Socialist agenda, it is also a prime time for friends of liberty to make our point. Many older Americans who have lost a lifetime of savings are now open to the idea that something is fundamentally wrong with our system. Young people, who haven't had time to accumulate enough to have taken a meaningful hit need to be won with theory, but it will be very effective to talk to most folks through their depleted 401ks.

So here's what I am doing. My church has a men's group that is always looking for meeting programs. These are generally older guys, many retired, who are patriotic and caring, but are, by and large, VERY conventional thinkers. I am putting together a short pitch about sound money, and will start, not with von Mises, but with Jefferson and Jackson, and their staunch objection to central banking. Then I'll move on to the theory of money per Mises/Rothbard, and how money "wants" to act, and finally introduce the Austrian school as a topic for further study. Nothing preachy, fairly short, but opening the door to more discussion.

So go out and find men's groups, and women's groups, at churches, community centers, retirement centers, etc. If they are old, and you are young, you will get extra points, for older folks love to see young folks involved, informed, and active. Oh - and try to dress neatly.

By the way - if this presentation sounds interesting to you, I'll post it when I have it ready. In fact, I'd like to hear feedback and criticisms/suggestions for improvement.

Good luck, all!

markb

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Sun, Mar 8 2009 11:55 PM

The most effective way to convert people is to hand out free DVDs of Ron Paul in the Republican primary debates. But I realize this is probably an expensive proposition. However, Ron Paul is the one who got me onto reading the Austrian literature. Before Paul's presidential campaign, I thought Milton Friedman was the guru of modern libertarianism. Now I know better.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,190

markb57:
So here's what I am doing. My church has a men's group that is always looking for meeting programs. These are generally older guys, many retired, who are patriotic and caring, but are, by and large, VERY conventional thinkers. I am putting together a short pitch about sound money, and will start, not with von Mises, but with Jefferson and Jackson, and their staunch objection to central banking. Then I'll move on to the theory of money per Mises/Rothbard, and how money "wants" to act, and finally introduce the Austrian school as a topic for further study. Nothing preachy, fairly short, but opening the door to more discussion.

That plan sounds just about perfect for that audience.  Well done.  Please do post the presentation.  We need more local civic engagement like that.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Mon, Mar 9 2009 1:24 AM

When one chooses to vote, one also chooses to participate in the political system which is generally 'evil' due to its monopoly on violence which forces or coerces the 'losing' voters to suffer the whims of the 'winning' voters.

When one chooses to become an activist, one never forces another to accept their views but instead allows them the freedom to reason the truth of your argument on their own. 

Hmm

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 124
Points 1,795
Justin D replied on Wed, Mar 11 2009 12:52 PM

Ideas-

Call in to talk radio stations, drop some names and quotes. If you've heard mentions of Austrians on Lou Dobbs program that was probably me. Always gets positive feedback, and at least spreads the names out there. Cost = Free.

Do not bicker but enjoy the pluralisms that you share with Objectivists, Constitutionalists, Tea Party people, even Friedmanites. DC libs too. If met with Rush Limbaugh today, I wouldn't yell at him for his partisan Bush support and failed recognition of it. I would add more valid arguments for him. He quotes Hayek, I'll give him some Mises, Rothbard, Hoppe, and Ron Paul stuff too. I don't want more opposition, Id rather use someone else as my own platform.

News paper submissions.

Talk in school. Do not argue. Debate if prompted, but not argue. Ask why? And tell why you question it. Even the far left of teachers enjoy a conversation. It will grab other students interest.

I wear my Mises and Rothbard tees all the time. Once I get I asked "who is that?" they usually become interested.

Meet up with people in person and discuss things like this. Ive contacted C4L people before about helping out with charities before and get ZERO response back. Some help those "state leaders" are. Free publicity.

Ask your political leaders questions or let them know of good people in their area helping. (Ive contacted a mayor and the Gov. of Florida today already. I live in NJ!!)

Do well in your life. Become Doctors, engineers, teachers, shop owners etc... People tend to validate a successful persons voice more.

A bunch of others I'll think of later.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 6,780
MatthewF replied on Fri, Mar 13 2009 3:12 PM

krazy kaju:

The Rothbard "Enemy of the State" tee definitely looks good. I'm not too hot about the other ones though. In any case, I'm not sure if wearing a t-shirt is the right way to go. I doubt anyone will see a Ron Paul or a Rothbard t-shirt and then decide to debate you and/or go home and google them. The more traditional door-to-door pamphlet and/or DVD idea seems like a better plan to me.

Just a thought...

I have to say, I have a couple Ron Paul T's and they start conversations everywhere I go. I've talked to people (a lot) at bars, in line at the grocery store, at the place I get my hair cut, etc... I had a conversation with a bartender recently, whom I've known for years but never talked politics with, and it turns out he's a non-voting Libertarian. He had never heard of Ron Paul before. He told me that he wanted to run for public office some day to "tear the whole thing down." He didn't know that I have run for office before so we had quite the chat...

The other goodie's are those little plastic wristbands. They're not as good as a shirt but lots of people will ask what it is about. I was talking to a cashier at the pet store the other day and she asked what mine was for. I told her it was for Freedom. We ended up talking for 15 minutes about the free market because I mentioned that our state (Oregon) is cracking down on "puppy mills." I explained how the consumer and the puppy are both better served by the profit/loss function of the market VS the state coercion which is really only protecting the fringe/criminal element in the breeding industry. A manager and a few other employees were listening and I saw some nodding heads...

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 16
Points 440
Zach replied on Sun, Mar 15 2009 8:15 PM

Probably considered part of portraying libertarianism in a good way, but we ought to not associate Austrian Economics/Freedom with any unrelated beliefs, such as religion, conspiracy theories, lifestyle, etc.; so as to ensure we make sure our ideology seem open to as many people as possible. Talking specifically with family/friends would also be pretty effective.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 4,895
Nick. B replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 1:22 AM

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that the YouTube channel called MisesMedia is run by this institute, correct? Well if so, why not become partner with YouTube? It will get some you benefits and publicity on that site which in effect will get you a new audience that would not have gotten otherwise.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 6:08 PM

Bumper Stickers! Bumper Stickers!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 4,895
Nick. B replied on Fri, Mar 20 2009 6:17 PM

Start a pure market anarchist organisation. I mean when do we get organised and start fighting for our freedom?!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,160

Well, I let my friend borrow How Capitalism Saved America, The Case Against The Fed, Economics in One Lesson, and Deflation and Liberty. He is pretty well converted now. Smile

That, and some other articles on here as well.

Page 2 of 7 (243 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS