Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Should a staunch Libertarian sign up for umemployment?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 10 verified answers | 34 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
1 Posts
Points 245
Ragnar posted on Fri, Mar 6 2009 7:55 AM

I am really struggling whether to sign up for unemployment or not.  My company is doing a two week layoff in July and I would qualify for unemployment for a week of that.  In addition, my company has a nice plan to subsidize unemployment that would amount to $1100 in addition to the unemployment.  The problem is, you have to sign up for unemployment to get the company subsidy. 

I am vehemently opposed to unemployment benefits and resent the fact that money is taken from my check each month for unemployment "insurance".  I feel like I have earned the company benefit by being a productive member of my company, but really wish not to sign up for unemployment to get it.  I really don't need the money because my wife and I save for rainy days. 

Any advice from the free-thinking brains that inhabit this community would be much appreciated!

• | Post Points: 245

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Verified by Ragnar

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
168 Posts
Points 4,160
Verified by Ragnar

I think you should sign up for it.

Having a political belief is one thing. Acting in your personal interests given the system you're in is another thing.

You may be opposed to the unemployment benefit system but you didn't get an opt out. You had to pay in so now you might as well claim on it as and when you need to.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
480 Posts
Points 9,370
Verified by Ragnar

Ragnar:

The problem is, you have to sign up for unemployment to get the company subsidy. 

Sign up for the unemployment but do not cash the cheque that you get from the government. 

If it is direct deposit, just do not spend the money or give it back to the government. 

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Answered (Verified) Marko replied on Fri, Mar 6 2009 10:00 AM
Verified by Ragnar

Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 5,355
Verified by Ragnar

Do you drive on state roads? Do you drink communal water?

It is impossible avoid the "benefits" of government activities nowadays. Signing up for unemployment benefits is to take money from the government, but that money is already stolen and will not be returned to their rightful owners whatever you do.  But using the government to steal from others, that would be crossing the line. If you lobbied for higher taxes or for example new regulations that would harm your competitors, then I'd say that you're a thief and a thug who uses the government as knuckles.

It's not fascism when the government does it.

“We must spend now as an investment for the future.” - President Obama

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430
Verified by Ragnar

Go for it.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 200 Contributor
444 Posts
Points 7,395
Verified by Ragnar

simply getting back what was stoeln from you is fine.  the alternative is to have it used for welfare and war.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
727 Posts
Points 11,605
Verified by Ragnar

Let me put this another way.  Should a FED-member bank refrain from inflating while it is being pursued by all other banks, encouraged by the FED's policy?

The bank not only SHOULD inflate, but MUST inflate, else it will go bankrupt.

Unless you are actually resorting to or threatening violence, or VOTING for policies that do so, do whatever is in your best interest.  Libertarianism will die a quick death if libertarians refuse to survive in an unjust world.

Check my blog, if you're a loser

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095
Verified by Ragnar

Adding to what everyone else said, take it.  It is better that libertarians survive than non-libertarians.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Answered (Verified) Juan replied on Fri, Mar 6 2009 12:53 PM
Verified by Ragnar
Ask your company to give you the money directly. If they don't, tough luck. You say "I really don't need the money" so why get involved with the state ? This
Charles Anthony:
Sign up for the unemployment but do not cash the cheque that you get from the government.
also sounds sensible.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Verified by Ragnar

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
168 Posts
Points 4,160
Verified by Ragnar

I think you should sign up for it.

Having a political belief is one thing. Acting in your personal interests given the system you're in is another thing.

You may be opposed to the unemployment benefit system but you didn't get an opt out. You had to pay in so now you might as well claim on it as and when you need to.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
480 Posts
Points 9,370
Verified by Ragnar

Ragnar:

The problem is, you have to sign up for unemployment to get the company subsidy. 

If it is direct deposit, just do not spend the money or give it back to the government. 

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Answered (Verified) Marko replied on Fri, Mar 6 2009 10:00 AM
Verified by Ragnar

Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 5,355
Verified by Ragnar

Do you drive on state roads? Do you drink communal water?

It is impossible avoid the "benefits" of government activities nowadays. Signing up for unemployment benefits is to take money from the government, but that money is already stolen and will not be returned to their rightful owners whatever you do.  But using the government to steal from others, that would be crossing the line. If you lobbied for higher taxes or for example new regulations that would harm your competitors, then I'd say that you're a thief and a thug who uses the government as knuckles.

It's not fascism when the government does it.

“We must spend now as an investment for the future.” - President Obama

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430
Verified by Ragnar

Go for it.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 200 Contributor
444 Posts
Points 7,395
Verified by Ragnar

simply getting back what was stoeln from you is fine.  the alternative is to have it used for welfare and war.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
727 Posts
Points 11,605
Verified by Ragnar

Let me put this another way.  Should a FED-member bank refrain from inflating while it is being pursued by all other banks, encouraged by the FED's policy?

The bank not only SHOULD inflate, but MUST inflate, else it will go bankrupt.

Unless you are actually resorting to or threatening violence, or VOTING for policies that do so, do whatever is in your best interest.  Libertarianism will die a quick death if libertarians refuse to survive in an unjust world.

Check my blog, if you're a loser

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095
Verified by Ragnar

Adding to what everyone else said, take it.  It is better that libertarians survive than non-libertarians.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Answered (Verified) Juan replied on Fri, Mar 6 2009 12:53 PM
Verified by Ragnar
Ask your company to give you the money directly. If they don't, tough luck. You say "I really don't need the money" so why get involved with the state ? This
Charles Anthony:
also sounds sensible.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
297 Posts
Points 6,880

I agree with those previously who suggested applying for the state unemployment check and then ripping it up.

In cashing a government unemployment check, you are not getting your stolen property back.  Unfortunately, the money you paid in taxes is gone.  Like pretty much all of the tax payments Americans make to the federal government, it probably went to paying the interest on the federal government's national debt.  In order for you to get that unemployment check money from the federal government, it will have to increase taxation on everyone else, hence the act of cashing the government unemployment check would be an invasion of your fellow citizens' property rights.

The state has indeed placed us in a difficult financial system under which to prosper, and this is indeed unfortunate.  But being complicit with the state in its acts of property invasion are not justified by the fact that we live in such a system.

"Anticapitalist theories share in common an inability to take human nature as it is. Rather than analyzing man as a complex creature, anticapitalist theories tend to focus on what the theorist wishes man to be." - Isaac Morehouse

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freiheit:
In order for you to get that unemployment check money from the federal government, it will have to increase taxation on everyone else, hence the act of cashing the government unemployment check would be an invasion of your fellow citizens' property rights.

this is not a a necessary truth. it forms the weak point in your argument. spending money which formerly was held in a government account is not an invasion of your fellow citizens property rights. taxing your fellolw citiziens is. by cashing a cash you are not taxing anyone.

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

Why should he not?

And what if  someone is entering job market and never worked before? Should he starve?

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS