Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hello From a "Post-Austrian", Anarcho-Capitalist,Taoist,911 "No- Planer".

This post has 338 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Sun, Mar 15 2009 6:35 PM | Locked

nirgrahamUK:

can you spell out what you would 'expect to have seen' as a result of an 'actual' airplane impact?

any example footage?

from Tampa, FL  - Bank of America building 

this thread is too much ... lol ... isn't this an economics site?

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK replied on Sun, Mar 15 2009 6:51 PM | Locked

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 7:01 AM | Locked

Finally I can understand the feelings of others confronting holocaust deniers.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315
onebornfree replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:04 AM | Locked

bbnet:

this thread is too much ... lol ... isn't this an economics site?

Maybe, but if we are comparing the underlying methodology used to investigate economic matters, and the   "methodology" most often used for the events of  911 , then the direct relationship between Austrian economic methodology and  911  should be readily apparent. 

Unless we are going to insist that LVM's and the Austrian  methodology in general has no practical application  in the real world  outside of economics, and in particular, with regard to the events of 911.

For example, Austrians consistently apply the principles of economic science [outlined in books such as "The Ultimate Foundation of Economic Science"], to the statements of mainstream Keynesians, to expose their pie in the sky pronouncements as dangerous logical fallacies [ie they are illogical, not "real world" ]. 

Von Mises shows us all how to consistently see through such fallacies via the application of deductive reasoning to a position firmly grounded in established economic scientific principles, mostly derived from the classical economists,  built on an underlying understanding [ie a foundation] of a theory of human action, to reach  conclusions concerning proposed economic policy , results of such policies etc. [after aforementioned deductive reasoning] .

Keynesians in Denial of Austrian Methodology

As we all know, Keynesian economists and mainstream pundits are in denial of Austrian economic methodology,  precisely _because_ such methodology exposes their pronouncements as illogical, pie in the sky , fairy tale fallacies.

They simply do not want to hear  inconvenient truth about their economic pronouncements.

Austrians In Denial of Austrian Methodology

What I find fascinating is the fact as far as the  subject of 911 goes, many "Austrians" appear to be in complete denial of their very own methodology ;  that is, they appear willing to forget all about it, and  are therefor _unwilling_ to employ their  own methodology of broad deductive reasoning,  based on well established scientific principle  [ in this case Newton's 3rd Law of Motion ,specifically ], to draw  conclusions, simply because such a methodology of deductive reasoning based on an understanding of Newton's 3rd Law must lead them to conclusions they  do not wish to entertain. 

It therefor appears to be more comfortable and convenient for most "Austrians" to choose to believe that planes can routinely fly through 500,000 ton steel and concrete buildings in one piece, without slowing down, and with no parts falling off  outside [because that's what the "real" videos show], as well as believe the on camera statements of completely unverifiable "plane witnesses" and the news media in general , and to therefor reach the "normal", safe conclusions concerning 911, than it is to adhere to   Austrian methodology in conjunction with knowledge derived from pre- established scientific principle, before reaching any conclusions.

A highly selective employment of their own methodology it  seems to me, where unknown, unverifiable witnesses, mainstream TV pundits etc. are to be believed while long established fundamental scientific principle is conveniently and systematically ignored.

Convenience Trumps Reason?

Sadly, for most Austrians, as far as 911 is concerned[ ie outside of economics] ,convenience trumps reason and methodological principle - just as it does within the field of economics  and economic calculation for Keynesians, monetarists,  etc.

Another reason I call myself   "post -Austrian"?

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:06 AM | Locked

i understand newtons 3rd law of motion. maybe you dont.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430
hayekianxyz replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:14 AM | Locked

Apparently he doesn't understand Praxeology either.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:17 AM | Locked

he also believes in the possibility of investment advice worth some $$$ despite the advisor not being able to make any claim about the world of tomorrow......

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:31 PM | Locked
Finally I can understand the feelings of others confronting holocaust deniers.
Whoa. What a cute appeal to emotion...Next step could be to smear skeptics as anti-semites or something ?

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430
hayekianxyz replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:34 PM | Locked

Juan:
Whoa. What a cute appeal to emotion...Next step could be to smear skeptics as anti-semites or something ?

What's anti semitic about holocaust denial anyway?

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:39 PM | Locked
nirgrahamUK:
i understand newtons 3rd law of motion. maybe you dont.
Principles alone won't tell you what a collision of an actual plane and an actual building will look like. Detailed simulation and/or models are needed.

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:43 PM | Locked
What's anti semitic about holocaust denial anyway ?
I don't know, but I was under the impression that usually (some) people assume "holocaust denial" = antisemitism.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 3:00 PM | Locked

GilesStratton:

Juan:

What's anti semitic about holocaust denial anyway?

there isnt a logical entailment, just a noteworthy empirical correllation

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430
hayekianxyz replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 3:02 PM | Locked

nirgrahamUK:
there isnt a logical entailment, just a noteworthy empirical correllation

I think it's just a smear to keep down investigation into an area that is very much in need of it.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
nirgrahamUK replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 3:06 PM | Locked

it might be doing double duty as a smear and a contingent fact.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,160
TheOrlonater replied on Fri, May 22 2009 7:31 PM | Locked

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north687.html

These dialogues show that Gary North is a private money advocate.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315
onebornfree replied on Fri, May 22 2009 7:52 PM | Locked

TheOrlonater:

Are you saying that I believe he is not, or are you making another point perhaps?

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, May 22 2009 11:48 PM | Locked

onebornfreedotblogspotdotcom:

"i was hoping for the banhammer to fall."

I figured. How, er, open-minded and, er "libertarian"of you :-)

How idiotic, er, idiotic of you. I didn't bother to read the meat of the thread, but how exactly does 911 tie into Austrian economics; and how does Austrian economics tie into LewRockwell.com (LRC)? I don't see how it is necessary to be an Austrian in order to get publiched on LRC. In fact, probably half of the articles published on LRC are by Austrians. Hell, you don't even need to be anti-state to be published on LRC. You do understand the difference between LRC and LvMI, right?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Sat, May 23 2009 1:23 AM | Locked

Daniel:
You do understand the difference between LRC and LvMI, right?

I'm not trying to be an ass but I would like to hear the differences.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 535
sapSUCKER replied on Sat, May 23 2009 7:10 AM | Locked

8+ pages and nobody has asked the only interesting thing worth knowing in this thread:

Given that 1) the year is 2009 and 2) you are not a pirate, what's the deal with the eyepatch?

"The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." -H.L. Mencken

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315
onebornfree replied on Sat, May 23 2009 9:28 AM | Locked

sapSUCKER:

8+ pages and nobody has asked the only interesting thing worth knowing in this thread:

Given that 1) the year is 2009 and 2) you are not a pirate, what's the deal with the eyepatch?

How much is that information worth to you?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315
onebornfree replied on Sat, May 23 2009 9:46 AM | Locked

Daniel:

How idiotic, er, idiotic of you. I didn't bother to read the meat of the thread, but how exactly does 911 tie into Austrian economics; and how does Austrian economics tie into LewRockwell.com (LRC)? I don't see how it is necessary to be an Austrian in order to get publiched on LRC. In fact, probably half of the articles published on LRC are by Austrians. Hell, you don't even need to be anti-state to be published on LRC. You do understand the difference between LRC and LvMI, right?

So by your own admission, you have not read most of the thread, but you _have_ drawn conclusions, and passed judgement  already  about its content, my thoughts etc., correct?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Sat, May 23 2009 10:52 AM | Locked

Daniel:

So by your own admission, you have not read most of the thread, but you _have_ drawn conclusions, and passed judgement  already  about its content, my thoughts etc., correct?

One does not need to read your theories to judge your behavior, methinks.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,160
TheOrlonater replied on Sat, May 23 2009 6:02 PM | Locked

TheOrlonater:

Are you saying that I believe he is not, or are you making another point perhaps?

You said he was a state money guy, I proved otherwise.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315
onebornfree replied on Sat, May 23 2009 8:39 PM | Locked

TheOrlonater:

TheOrlonater:

You said he was a state money guy, I proved otherwise.

I did? Could you show me where?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Sat, May 23 2009 9:02 PM | Locked

Why do I have the impression that a humorous and harmless post I made just got deleted?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 244
Points 3,785
Pablo replied on Sat, May 23 2009 9:19 PM | Locked

OK, OK !  I give up! I'm a fraud, a charlatan! You are more "Austrian" than I am [even though I never claimed to be "Austrian" in the first place] - you know more about Austrian economics than I do, you know more "real" "Austrians" than I do, you've read more "Austrian" books than I have,you know more latin than I do, hell , you are even a better person than I am! I "fail remarkably"- Yay!

Are you happy yet?

If your intention is to 'spread the word' about your conspiracy, please move on to another forum.

If your intention is to learn about Austrian economic theory, Libertiarianism/Anarchism/Stateslessness/Philosophy, please stick around. If you choose to stick around, please stop claiming you have 'been there, done that', because you will certainly piss a lot of people off. Many of Austrians have spent a lot of time, and dedicated there lives to the principles with which you apply the prefix 'post' to.

I sincerely hope you choose to stick around and learn something.

Best regards,

Pablo

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 757
Points 17,305
Poptech replied on Sat, May 23 2009 9:34 PM | Locked

Oh no another 911 Truther ignorant of basic physics. FYI fire does not have to get hot enough to melt steel but simply weaken it below it's load bearing capacity. Hollow aluminum and composites aircraft hitting reinforced steel and concrete is not going to leave the same sized hole ect...

I keep my 911 Truther debunking facts handy...

Debunking The 9/11 Myths (Popular Mechanics)
How the Loss of One Column May Have Led to the Collapse of WT7 (PDF) (Structure Magazine)
NIST WTC 7 Investigation Finds Building Fires Caused Collapse (NIST)
Purdue University's 9/11 Computer Visualization (Video) (Purdue University)
Why Did the World Trade Center Collapse? Science, Engineering, and Speculation (Thomas W. Eagar, Professor of Materials Engineering and Engineering Systems, MIT)

"Anarchism misunderstands the real nature of man. It would be practicable only in a world of angels and saints" - Ludwig von Mises

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sat, May 23 2009 10:13 PM | Locked

I actually think the "no-towers" theory is the most plausible.

And I have evidence! Don't listen to the media, sheeple!

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 133
Points 2,670
whakaheke replied on Sat, May 23 2009 10:48 PM | Locked

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................''~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:'^'..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:'.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:'........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:'........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./'..../"............../
...,,,___.\'~,......"~.,....................'.....}............../
............(....'=-,,.......'........................(......;_,,-"
............/.'~,......'-...............................\....../\
.............\'~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............'=~-,
.....'=~-,_\_......'\,.................................\
...................'=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................':,,...........................'\..............__
.....................................'=-,...................,%'>--==''
........................................_\..........._,-%.......'\
...................................,<'.._|_,-&''................'\

Sage:

I actually think the "no-towers" theory is the most plausible.

And I have evidence! Don't listen to the media, sheeple!

hah

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 244
Points 3,785
Pablo replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:20 PM | Locked

What?

Thats a joke, right?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:28 PM | Locked

AnarchomarxistLibertaria:
Well hello from a fellow Post-Austrian Anarcho-Marxist

Anarcho-Marxist? Oxymorons are interesting.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 133
Points 2,670
whakaheke replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:39 PM | Locked

Laughing Man:

Well hello from a fellow Post-Austrian Anarcho-Marxist

Anarcho-Marxist? Oxymorons are interesting.

It's not an oxymoron either by defintion or by mutual exclusivity. Marxism, Austrian Economics, and Anarchism are perfectly synthesizable.

Eg. see: http://www.mutualist.org/id10.html

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:45 PM | Locked

I don't want to get into it, but some of those sources are rubbish.

Poptech:

Oh no another 911 Truther ignorant of basic physics. FYI fire does not have to get hot enough to melt steel but simply weaken it below it's load bearing capacity. Hollow aluminum and composites aircraft hitting reinforced steel and concrete is not going to leave the same sized hole ect...

I keep my 911 Truther debunking facts handy...

Popular Mechanics was tore up by that Libertarian radio show host from Arizona (his name eludes me, he is off the air now).

The NIST report on WTC7 is also rubbish and widely disputed.

There have been international studies regarding the traces of thermate found in the wreckage.  Thermate cannot have arrived there accidentally.

For the record, I am not a truther, but I certainly don't trust the government story, and I think that it is possible the US government would do it.  No proper investigation was ever done.  NIST stalled on the WTC7 for a long time, and their report contrasts interviews from Barry Jennings who was in the building just prior to it coming down.

Anyway, people are so polarized on this.  I just hate people trying to show "official evidence" that is not peer reviewed and then claim it is absolute fact.  That is why global warming scare mongering is out of control.  People embrace the science that fits their position, and not the other way around.

Steve Jones is a physicist.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_E._Jones

Neils Harrit is a chemist.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tf25lx_3o&fmt=18

This is the vanguard of scholarly 9/11 skepticism.  http://www.stj911.org/

One mistake people make, is they take truther arguments from half baked nutjobs (like PopMechanics did) and then debunk the nut theories, and claim this disproves 9/11 truth period.  I hate crap like that.

Charles Goyette.  Found the interview.  http://www.911podcasts.com/files/audio/A003I060823-am-c3.MP3

Give it a listen.  It's a good takedown of some real bullshit.

Again, I don't know what happened.  I don't trust government, and I certainly don't trust Bush or Cheney.  I don't even really care anymore.

But anyone who claims THEY KNOW for sure (one way or another) is probably full of crap.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:47 PM | Locked

Marxism, Austrian Economics, and Anarchism are perfectly synthesizable.

Marxist class theory is incompatible with Austrian Economics.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:47 PM | Locked

It's not an oxymoron either by defintion or by mutual exclusivity. Marxism, Austrian Economics, and Anarchism are perfectly synthesizable.

Either you a lacking in a knowledge of Marxism, Austrian Economics or Anarchism, but perhaps all three. Marxism can be loosely defined as the workers (a single class) owning the means of production, Marx specifically combated with Anarchists like Bakunin and Proudhon believing they were simpletons in wanting to eliminate the state apparutus. Austrian economics propogates that lassie-faire capitalism is a morally correct system of economics based on voluntary exchange and private property rights. Now if you were to say Austrian economics and Anarchism can go together then I would agree with you. However to think that lassie-faire capitalism and communalism of the means of production can go hand and hand is really just absurd. Couple that with the belief that Marxism and Anarchism can go together then you are really debasing yourself into a field of constant contradiction and illogical remarks.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:50 PM | Locked

liberty student:

Rothbard talked about these characters and I was always curious to see who they were. I knew of the nihilist Lachmannians but I have meet my first 'Austrian-Marxist'

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student replied on Sat, May 23 2009 11:58 PM | Locked

Laughing Man:
Rothbard talked about these characters and I was always curious to see who they were. I knew of the nihilist Lachmannians but I have meet my first 'Austrian-Marxist'

Mutualists.  Kevin Carson is the fella with the notions about an Austro-Marxist synthesis.

Unfortunately, their obsession with exploitation and anti-capitalism makes it really difficult to reconcile their ideas with anarcho-capitalism.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 133
Points 2,670
whakaheke replied on Sun, May 24 2009 12:00 AM | Locked

liberty student:

Marxism, Austrian Economics, and Anarchism are perfectly synthesizable.

Not entirely. Marxist class awareness does not conflict with Austrian Economics. However, it is not entirely relavent. A synthesis of Marxism and Anarchism or Marxism and Austrian Economics does not require that every node of every subset of sociology, philosophy, praxeology, etc of each system be identical. Rather, a synthesis involves the combining of fruitful nodes to create a new system. Post-Austrian Anarcho-Marxism is not merely the sum of all those three systems. It is something new. If you are actually interested in it, please see The Center for a Stateless Society, various mutualist blogs, certain Rothbard essays on corporatism, or the link to the essay by Kevin Carson I provided in the previous post.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Sun, May 24 2009 12:07 AM | Locked

Not entirely. Marxist class awareness does not conflict with Austrian Economics. However, it is not entirely relavent.

So the revolution of the proletariat and their subsequent communalizing of the means of production does not conflict with lassie-faire capitalism? Interesting.

A synthesis of Marxism and Anarchism or Marxism and Austrian Economics does not require that every node of every subset of sociology, philosophy, praxeology, etc of each system be identical. Rather, a synthesis involves the combining of fruitful nodes to create a new system.

Ah, so you bastardize the three systems, take what you like without maintaining consistency and fail to see the contradiction in the matter. One would think that in creating a new system you would not take on the names of the three systems which you neglected to fully embrace.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 133
Points 2,670
whakaheke replied on Sun, May 24 2009 12:08 AM | Locked

Laughing Man:

Either you a lacking in a knowledge of Marxism, Austrian Economics or Anarchism, but perhaps all three. Marxism can be loosely defined as the workers (a single class) owning the means of production, Marx specifically combated with Anarchists like Bakunin and Proudhon believing they were simpletons in wanting to eliminate the state apparutus. Austrian economics propogates that lassie-faire capitalism is a morally correct system of economics based on voluntary exchange and private property rights. Now if you were to say Austrian economics and Anarchism can go together then I would agree with you. However to think that lassie-faire capitalism and communalism of the means of production can go hand and hand is really just absurd. Couple that with the belief that Marxism and Anarchism can go together then you are really debasing yourself into a field of constant contradiction and illogical remarks.

Personally attacking your fellow discussant is always the best way to engage in useful conversation. Always.

Your loose definitions of Marxism are not relevant. I am not a 'Marxist.' I am a Post Austrian Anarcho-Marxist. Austrian economics does not necessarily propogate the morality of any system. Communal ownership of the means of production exists today within nominally capitalist systems. There is no reason why non-coerced communal ownership of the factors of production is incompatible with either Austrian economics or anarchism. Please see the link I provided in the previous post if you are actually interested in the synthesis of Anarcho-Marxism and Austrian economics. 

Page 5 of 9 (339 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS