Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Do you teach your children Austrian Economics/Anarcho-Capitalism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 105
mmims2 Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2009 9:02 PM

I do not yet have children, but have always told myself that it will be very important that I monitor their education very closely, and always teach them to be wary of what they're taught in school. I do not plan on homeschooling them, as I know many libertarians advocate, but I still want to make sure they are raised knowing the importance of liberty.

My question is, do many of you actively preach libertarianism (Austrian Economics, Anarcho-Capitalism, etc.) to your children? How do you complement these teachings with what they learn in school? How do you tell them to treat their history classes?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 444
Points 7,395

give them enough science fiction and the problem will take care of itself.  Smile

thinking for yourself is the prime cause of libertarianism.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 881
Points 15,030
banned replied on Tue, Mar 10 2009 11:52 PM

Find a good montessori or other private school.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Mar 11 2009 5:12 AM

mmims2:

I do not yet have children, but have always told myself that it will be very important that I monitor their education very closely, and always teach them to be wary of what they're taught in school. I do not plan on homeschooling them, as I know many libertarians advocate, but I still want to make sure they are raised knowing the importance of liberty.

My question is, do many of you actively preach libertarianism (Austrian Economics, Anarcho-Capitalism, etc.) to your children? How do you complement these teachings with what they learn in school? How do you tell them to treat their history classes?

Well it's certainly a tough decision. Do you inoculate them against such BS like global warming etc, or do you let them lead likes of ignorant bliss before trying to wake them up in their teens, when it actually begins to matter?

I would think don't force it on them. But have all the tools within their reach, if they so choose. Anti Communist propaganda from the Cold War comes in handy? lol

Personally I am trying to slowly gather up some great individualist tv shows and books from the oldschool, before they all disappear.

Children's Books in Dumpsters: Washington's Madness Continues by Gary North

nazgulnarsil:
give them enough science fiction and the problem will take care of itself.  Smile

thinking for yourself is the prime cause of libertarianism.

Yes, definitely the thinking for yourself part. Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

Right now, I am struggling to teach my kids not to fight with each other.  I reckon it will take them a while to accept the "initiate no aggression" part. 

Seriously though, I think the best lesson that any parent should learn is that kids imitate.  When a kid randomly and frantically grabs stuff off of the shelves in the grocery store, the kid is only imitating you.  That is what you are doing.  From the kid's perspective you are just grabbing stuff off of the shelves and you are likely doing it randomly or frantically. 

So, you can not expect to teach that coercion is bad if you routinely coerce people -- that includes the child -- yourself. 

We can talk about libertarian economics all we want but all of that is easy.  In a practical sense and in a theoretical sense, I think the most interesting and challenging thing for a libertarian to do is to raise a child in a libertarian way.  

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Wed, Mar 11 2009 12:39 PM

Conza88:

WTF?  The state should stop this madness, immediately, or they will corrupt themselves.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Mar 11 2009 9:54 PM

Luis Buenaventura:

Someone REALLY needs to get those things online and into pdf form.

How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't by Irwin Schiff

The Kingdom of Moltz by Irwin Schiff

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS