Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Statist analogy

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 8,630
fezwhatley Posted: Sat, Mar 28 2009 9:17 PM

So on 3 seperate occassions (on the internet of course) i've encountered statists who use an anology of comparing employers and other actors in the market to Lions.

Yes, an analogy comparing business owners, investors, and executives to lions in the jungle who prey on people and eat poor little creatures. must i need to point out how man is rational, and performs purposeful behavior and isn't comparable in any way-really to these big cats?

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 871
Points 21,030
eliotn replied on Sat, Mar 28 2009 9:45 PM

fezwhatley:

So on 3 seperate occassions (on the internet of course) i've encountered statists who use an anology of comparing employers and other actors in the market to Lions.

Yes, an analogy comparing business owners, investors, and executives to lions in the jungle who prey on people and eat poor little creatures. must i need to point out how man is rational, and performs purposeful behavior and isn't comparable in any way-really to these big cats?

Ironically, the analogy of lions works well for the state.  A good analogy for business owners, etc. is fruits that sustain the person if he does some labor.

Schools are labour camps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 304
Points 3,965
Solomon replied on Sat, Mar 28 2009 10:23 PM

Rothbard had a great refutation of this argument in chapter 6 of Power and Market.

Diminishing Marginal Utility - IT'S THE LAW!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS