Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

I'm still having trouble with externalities

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335
Tony Fernandez Posted: Mon, May 11 2009 10:46 PM

I can see why in general it is stupid since the same line of thinking would lead to economic stagnation (progress would mean we have to pay the people that are indirectly put out of work because the worked in an archaic industry). However, I keep coming to the problem of pollution. It causes definite property damage, and although one alone isn't responsible, the sum of many actions causes damage. Any ideas about how to answer that?

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 8,630
fezwhatley replied on Mon, May 11 2009 11:30 PM

Less state intervention on property rights and insurance can deal with externalities

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Tue, May 12 2009 2:28 AM

The companies will have to internalize such costs or risk lawsuits. Before the late-1830's it was quite common for property owners in to file 'nuisance'  injunctions against polluters to a large degree of success. Around 1840 several governments decided that the "public good" was more important than property rights.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 238
Points 3,960
Cork replied on Tue, May 12 2009 2:54 AM

You're right: there are no perfect answers to these things.

Thankfully, most people don't want to live on a filthy, polluted planet.  So this is where our good friend green capitalism (or perhaps even Hoppean social ostracization) comes in.  What happens if not enough people care, and nobody buys environmentally safe products--as statists will argue?  In that case, we would be just as screwed as under democracy.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 4
Points 50

Angurse can you find the original reference for the 1830's law change. I know we all quote it but I can't find the original reference but serches turnyour comments up a lot along with Walter Block. I need the reference for a paper I'm writing but sofar I only get secondry sources in the searches.  Send me an IM.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Check this out.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Well this is what the new derivates game called "carbon credits" are doing.  They are supposed to help rid pollution, but yet again this State driven derivative is actually causing more pollution.  Quote from this article:

"These credits can be sold privately or on the international market. Louis Redshaw, head of environmental markets at Barclays Capital predicts that ‘carbon will be the world’s biggest commodity market – and it could become the world’s biggest market overall.’

But that was before the recession. A global fall-off in manufacturing means that companies are producing far less carbon. In recent months, companies in this position have dumped their credits on the market. This has not only provided heavily polluting firms with funds to plug gaps in their balance sheets but has also pushed down prices. Carbon has now dropped to such a level it’s cheaper to burn polluting fossil fuels and buy up credits than find ways of reducing emissions." 

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 1:43 PM

Angurse:

The companies will have to internalize such costs or risk lawsuits. Before the late-1830's it was quite common for property owners in to file 'nuisance'  injunctions against polluters to a large degree of success. Around 1840 several governments decided that the "public good" was more important than property rights.

Unfortunately not all costs can be internalized. Global warming for example cannot be internalized because the causes are so widely dispersed amongst millions of people

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
Global warming for example cannot be internalized

Man influenced climate change cannot be internalized.  The reason being, no one understands it.   When we understand the effects and correlations, then the market will price it.  Right now, the global warming industry is just another subsidzed scientific industrial complex.  There is big money in selling armageddon with an enviro-marxist twist.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790

liberty student:

When we understand the effects and correlations, then the market will price it.

In what fashion do you expect this to happen if I may ask?

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 2:19 PM

liberty student:

Juma:
Global warming for example cannot be internalized

Man influenced climate change cannot be internalized.  The reason being, no one understands it.   When we understand the effects and correlations, then the market will price it.  Right now, the global warming industry is just another subsidzed scientific industrial complex.  There is big money in selling armageddon with an enviro-marxist twist.

Actually, if you assume global warming is indeed manmade there is no way to properly price it. The very nature of global warming is that climate change is being caused by millions of different entities. A single factory contributes to global warming, but since it requires millions of other factories to do any damage, it's impossible to really assign damages to this particular actor

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
The very nature of global warming is that climate change is being caused by millions of different entities.

Climate change is part of a natural cycle.

Juma:
A single factory contributes to global warming, but since it requires millions of other factories to do any damage, it's impossible to really assign damages to this particular actor

And again, climate change is part of a natural cycle which we do not understand, and thus cannot even separate the influences of man from the path of nature.  That is why it is impossible to price.

All of the global warming jive is based on taking an unsolvable problem (based upon our current understanding) and proposing a collective solution to make up for the lack of understanding.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 2:41 PM

liberty student:

Juma:
The very nature of global warming is that climate change is being caused by millions of different entities.

Climate change is part of a natural cycle.

Juma:
A single factory contributes to global warming, but since it requires millions of other factories to do any damage, it's impossible to really assign damages to this particular actor

And again, climate change is part of a natural cycle which we do not understand, and thus cannot even separate the influences of man from the path of nature.  That is why it is impossible to price.

All of the global warming jive is based on taking an unsolvable problem (based upon our current understanding) and proposing a collective solution to make up for the lack of understanding.

That's your opinion, but a lot of scientists disagree. Neither of us are scienticists or climatologists so I am not debating whether or not climate change is man-made. I'm saying that if it is, it is not something that can be internalized

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
That's your opinion, but a lot of scientists disagree.

What scientists?  Have you listened to the great many scientists who oppose the current global warming science as a computer modeled sham?

The CC scientists have been a lot more wrong than right with their predictions so far.  But then in the 70s, these same folks told us we were going into a new ice age.

Juma:
Neither of us are scienticists or climatologists so I am not debating whether or not climate change is man-made.

But we know it isn't.  There are ice core samples going back thousands of years that show the earth has had periods with higher CO2 than now, and periods where it was significantly warmer than now.  The global climate system is complex and ever changing.  Even if man was wiped from the face of the earth, periods of climatic change, ice ages, flooding, heavy storms would all carry on.

Juma:
I'm saying that if it is, it is not something that can be internalized

I've already explained why it cannot be priced.  Because we are not the sole or even major factor driving it, not to mention, the costs to this point are all based on future projections which have been very wrong in the short term.  The real costs of a temperature changes plus or minus one degree centrigrade are too complex for us to measure.  In that respect, it's not just who or what creates climate change, but what are the impacts?  How can we prove that a change in temperature only causes negative, and not offsetting positive externalities?

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 2:57 PM

liberty student:

I've already explained why it cannot be priced.  Because we are not the sole or even major factor driving it, not to mention, the costs to this point are all based on future projections which have been very wrong in the short term.  The real costs of a temperature change plus or minus one degree centrigrade are too complex for us to measure.  In that respect, it's not just who or what creates climate change, but what are the impacts?  How can we prove that a change in temperature only causes negative, and not offsetting positive externalities?

For example, suppose man-made climate change causes a rise in sea levels which wipes out a coastal town. Who can be charged with these damages? That's what makes this particular brand of externality so difficult to deal with in the private sector

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
For example, suppose man-made climate change causes a rise in sea levels which wipes out a coastal town. Who can be charged with these damages? That's what makes this particular brand of externality so difficult to deal with in the private sector

First you have to isolate it was man made at all.  That is nearly impossible.  Then you have to figure out which men did it.  That is also nearly impossible.

Then you have to figure out what benefits offset the losses.

What the watermelons want is for industry to internalize the effects of nature.  Things we can't even understand.  It is entirely demented.  But again, these are the same folks who were convinced the Wooly Mammoth would make an appearance before a black president.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:19 PM

liberty student:

Juma:

First you have to isolate it was man made at all.  That is nearly impossible.  Then you have to figure out which men did it.  That is also nearly impossible.

Then you have to figure out what benefits offset the losses.

What the watermelons want is for industry to internalize the effects of nature.  Things we can't even understand.  It is entirely demented.  But again, these are the same folks who were convinced the Wooly Mammoth would make an appearance before a black president.

That's exactly why free markets don't work in this case. That's the point I was trying to make

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
That's exactly why free markets don't work in this case. That's the point I was trying to make

I think we're still not connecting.  You think that we can't price the problem because we lack knowledge.  I am saying that the lack of knowledge could very well mean there is no problem to price.  The same rationale behind pricing climate change could be extended to pricing sunshine or heavy clouds. Precipitation and wind gusts.

Maybe if I flatulate here it really does blow down poorly constructed huts in central Africa.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:45 PM

liberty student:

Juma:

I think we're still not connecting.  You think that we can't price the problem because we lack knowledge.  I am saying that the lack of knowledge could very well mean there is no problem to price.  The same rationale behind pricing climate change could be extended to pricing sunshine or heavy clouds. Precipitation and wind gusts.

Maybe if I flatulate here it really does blow down poorly constructed huts in central Africa.

Ah ok, I see what you're saying now. Like I said it really comes down to the science of it all. If you think climate change is not man-made and is not a problem and don't believe in the science, I can see why you think there is no problem to price

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
Ah ok, I see what you're saying now. Like I said it really comes down to the science of it all.

No.  The science is politicized.  It comes down to the truth.

Juma:
If you think climate change is not man-made and is not a problem and don't believe in the science, I can see why you think there is no problem to price

That is a strawman.  I never wrote anything of the like.  There is more than one set of science.  You are apparently unaware of this.  You also seem unaware that nature influences climate independent of man.  If you are only aware of the last fact, then you have to see the problem in distinguishing what is clearly man made, and what is not.

My suggestion is to do some research into LvMI's own Dr. Floy Lilley and her experience with climate change and the UN.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:12 PM

liberty student:

Juma:
Ah ok, I see what you're saying now. Like I said it really comes down to the science of it all.

No.  The science is politicized.  It comes down to the truth.

Juma:
If you think climate change is not man-made and is not a problem and don't believe in the science, I can see why you think there is no problem to price

That is a strawman.  I never wrote anything of the like.  There is more than one set of science.  You are apparently unaware of this.  You also seem unaware that nature influences climate independent of man.  If you are only aware of the last fact, then you have to see the problem in distinguishing what is clearly man made, and what is not.

My suggestion is to do some research into LvMI's own Dr. Floy Lilley and her experience with climate change and the UN.

Oh I agree many different factors can affect climate. But I'm not scientist and neither are you so I'm not going to debate this with you. I'm only saying that if the science is correct, some very difficult problems are presented for economists, which is what I'm interested in - the economic aspect. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

That's what makes this particular brand of externality so difficult to deal with in the private sector

And even harder for the government, because if the problem is so pervasive (as is asserted), it sure as hell will not be the institution providing "justice" in this case, what with its utter inability to calculate and do anything other than extort for its ruling class's gain... How is the government going to price it? Pulling "scientific" figures out of Obama's (or Gore's) rear? I don't buy this it's "impossible to price" crap, as if by magic the government can do what the market (billions of individuals engaging in free transactions) cannot. With all due respect, climatologists are not economists so whether or not global warming is anthropogenic will not entail that their economic "solutions" to it have any relation to reality...

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Juma:
But I'm not scientist and neither are you so I'm not going to debate this with you.

Why not?  You don't have to be a scientist to know that nature changed climate prior to industrialization.  Which should lead to the question, why is all climate change now considered exclusively man made?

Juma:
I'm only saying that if the science is correct

The science, the science, the science.  You are talking about only half of the science.  There is no "the science", there is highly politicized climatology for profit.  Numerous real scientists have said that IPCC modeling is not science.  Austrians in particular should question any attempt to mathematically model the complex systems found in nature.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,385
Juma replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:41 PM

liberty student:

Juma:
But I'm not scientist and neither are you so I'm not going to debate this with you.

Why not?  You don't have to be a scientist to know that nature changed climate prior to industrialization.  Which should lead to the question, why is all climate change now considered exclusively man made?

Juma:
I'm only saying that if the science is correct

The science, the science, the science.  You are talking about only half of the science.  There is no "the science", there is highly politicized climatology for profit.  Numerous real scientists have said that IPCC modeling is not science.  Austrians in particular should question any attempt to mathematically model the complex systems found in nature.

That's an interesting opinion. 

As far as the politicization, I think that is correct as well. The Stern Review was probably highly politicized and Nordhaus made a great critique of it. According to Nordhaus, the model used by the Stern Review assumed a very low discount rate. In a dynamic model this creates much larger costs than actually exists. I think the Nordhaus critique of the current economic models of climate change has been the best so far. 

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS