Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hello, I am new to the Community

This post has 206 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Fri, May 29 2009 11:45 AM

P.S.

IP forces people to pretend that something is scarce, thus valuable; in the same way that price ceilings force people to pretend that something is cheap, thus plentiful.

Peace

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

You know the first thing that went through my head was thinking is scarce.....

But seriously...

Do you think eliminating IP will have the result desired, that is progress in science for example?

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Fri, May 29 2009 12:32 PM

Harry Felker:
You know the first thing that went through my head was thinking is scarce.....

Intellectual capacity is scarce. But an idea is infinitely reproducible, it can exist in every mind simultaneously.

Harry Felker:
Do you think eliminating IP will have the result desired, that is progress in science for example?

Who's job is it to decide what result is the best? Value is subjective.

As for my valuation, science is only useful for improving our material lives. Patents and copyrights deprive people access to technology in order to progress it. What then is the point?

Would the world be better off without IP? Considerably.

Peace

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Fri, May 29 2009 12:48 PM

Harry Felker:

wilderness:
To enforce any legal restitution it is done at the point of the gun, just so you know cause I'm sure Jon will see that too.

Are you suggesting legal restitution cannot occur without violent interaction?

No.  Doesn't have to occur, unless, the criminals don't want to recognize legal restitution.  How is legal restitution backed up?  If it's an honor system for the criminals to leave the restitution in the mailbox, then I'd say we're in a pretty darn good society.  Yet, what happens when somebody doesn't want to pay restitution?

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Fri, May 29 2009 12:56 PM

Harry Felker:

Actually all science depends upon repeatable experiments and peer review.  That's science working.  Science never works if ideas are kept hidden.  It's totally counter to what science does.  Science needs to be confirmed by the largest number of people possible to show the hypothesis is valid.  And by having a hypothesis placed under the most diverse experiments, which means a large diverse number of labs that have a variation of equipment depending upon the lab, this greatly improves the ability of the hypothesis.  This opens the door for a huge amount of discoveries cause now so many people are able to test the hypothesis under various conditions and it can show just how applicable the hypothesis really is.  This would be a boom, let's say, for technology.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Harry Felker:

The internet for all intents and purposes has no real enforeable IP.

Look at it go.

Although "desired result" is a value term.  The important thing is that IP necessitates state violence to be workable in it's current form.

If we trust in the market process, and I do, then we're inclined to believe that if there is a need or desire for some sort of IP, it will come about through competition and entrepreneurship.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

liberty student:

The internet for all intents and purposes has no real enforeable IP.

Look at it go.

Good point....

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Page 6 of 6 (207 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS