Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Minor Website Issues

This post has 111 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:50 AM

Smiling Dave:

In the address box of the browser

Ah, thank you Smiling Dave, but surely there is a better, quicker way than even that to quote people. What is this blue-colored word "Quote" that I see for?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

That blue colored word "Quote" which doesn't work is a reminder that computers are silently, stealthily, creepily, trying to drive us mad and take over.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

ImagesandWords:
Ah, thank you Smiling Dave, but surely there is a better, quicker way than even that to quote people. What is this blue-colored word "Quote" that I see for?

If it worked, I'm pretty confident it would only do what I suggested...  turn the quote=false to quote=true in the URL, which would just make the quoted post appear.

What are you trying to do, exactly?  I may be able to help you better if I understand what you're looking to do more clearly.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:22 PM

ladyphoenix:
Did Filc tell you to hit "reply" and then change the "false" at the end of the URL to "true?" 

If that's not what you're talking about, I'm curious what is time consuming about quoting posts...  I'm afraid I don't understand.  :)  It doesn't seem all that time-consuming to me.

And thank you ladyphoenix for the tip (although it does seem time-consuming to me). I'm not going to quibble over it though. It's a small trade-off for such a wealth of information. 

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:43 PM

ladyphoenix:

What are you trying to do, exactly?  I may be able to help you better if I understand what you're looking to do more clearly.  :)

ladyphoenix, First,  preferentially I would rather see all of the pertinent information related to quoting within the immediate area of the quote itself, not at the top of the window. Second, I don't understand why it is necessary to delete some info just to replace it with other info when quoting. It's more movement and steps than what seems should be necessary. However, I am not a software engineer or programmer so there may very well be good, sound reasons why the current setup is the way it is. Like I said, It's a small trade-off for what I am getting in return. No worries. Thanks again.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Smiling Dave:

That blue colored word "Quote" which doesn't work is a reminder that computers are silently, stealthily, creepily, trying to drive us mad and take over.

I second this, very frustrating! The only thing I've been able to do to get around it was up in the address bar change "&Quote=False" to "&Quote=True" after clicking on "reply" next to the post I wanted to reply to. Or just typing out my own codes. Fortunately my profession is a web developer so I can get around having to type in CSS/HTML etc.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

ImagesandWords:
ladyphoenix, First,  preferentially I would rather see all of the pertinent information related to quoting within the immediate area of the quote itself, not at the top of the window. Second, I don't understand why it is necessary to delete some info just to replace it with other info when quoting. It's more movement and steps than what seems should be necessary. However, I am not a software engineer or programmer so there may very well be good, sound reasons why the current setup is the way it is. Like I said, It's a small trade-off for what I am getting in return. No worries. Thanks again.
I totally understand, and as far as I know, there's no "good" reason why it doesn't do this.  From what I understand, it's a bug... that it is intended to be such that the word "quote" you referred to is supposed to make the text of the post you hit "reply" on appear in the box.  I don't know why it doesn't do this by default, though.  I would think that hitting reply on a specific post would indicate that I want to quote that thread... 

Hopefully it's a little easier for you now, though.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

freeradicals:
Fortunately my profession is a web developer so I can get around having to type in CSS/HTML etc.
Me too.  :)  This is why it doesn't cause me all that much grief.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Hello again! 

Didn't get an answer to this the last time and it's doing it all again, so I'm going to bump with a self-quote...

The bug is that this particular thread seems to be lagging far behind in the number of pages being displayed on the "Active Topics" page and the main forum page.  Rather than show the 19th page, it simply shows page 7.  Now, it is not the case that this simply got up to page 7 and stopped, because this thread has always been behind (I've been following it intently).  When it had only four pages, the front page and the "Active Topics" page reflected that there were only two pages. 

Right now, it's occurring with this thread:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/23128.aspx - So Rothbard is okay with taking government money?

There are at least six pages and right now it's only showing three.  This has been lagging since the addition of page two as far as I can tell.

It is not occurring in this thread

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/11829.aspx - Must See Movies, which displays and actually has five pages.

If this has been addressed before, tell me to shut up and I will.  :)  Thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 6:40 PM

http://mises.org/daily/1767

Typo, no space. First para - he a posterioriempirical approach

Just about to share the article is all with some non-Austrian's via fb, so will get some folks reading it.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

To add another problem, the search engine on this forum is not working properly,

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I don't think it ever did. What's wrong with it?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I think DV deleted the search index a year or so ago to solve an issue with the database crashing.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

We definitely need a 'go to last unread post' button.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:23 AM

The www.mises.com domain is not working. Before, it used to direct me straight to the Mises Community Page. Now it gives me the following error message: "The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:56 AM

EmperorNero:

We definitely need a 'go to last unread post' button.

On the other hand, having to remember what post I read last has improved my memory skills.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 6:23 PM

Can't edit some posts. I get the

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

"

Error.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Forum has been extremely slow last few days. May be me, anyone else having problems?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:12 AM

Not slow but lot of contents missing (list of private discussions, avatar, firend list etc).

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Yea i lost my avatar had to revert back to the default ones or my posts were going all stretched.

I think the slowness was my end. Seem to have fixed it now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Kakugo:
Not slow but lot of contents missing (list of private discussions, avatar, firend list etc).

It was never gone...you just couldn't see it.  It should all be back now...is it not?

Jack...how in the hell did you find this thread?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

The missing avatars are still gone for me and a lot of posts are stretched because of missing avatars.

I found the thread by going to help section.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Hmm.  Post a couple of links where you see issues.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

The search engine on this site still isn't working properly.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Al_Gore the Idiot:

The search engine on this site still isn't working properly.

What do you mean?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Daniel Muffinburg:
What do you mean?

Well, do you honestly think the word "Hoppe" only appears 35 times in this entire forum?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

John James:
The word "Hoppe" only appears 35 times in the search results.

Fixed it for you.

Anyway... I see. I hardly ever use the search engine because it sucks. I always assumed that it was designed that way, not that it wasn't working properly.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Daniel Muffinburg:
John James:
Well, do you honestly think the word "Hoppe" only appears 35 times in this entire forum? The word "Hoppe" only appears 35 times in the search results.
Fixed it for you.

It was correct the first time.  There was nothing to fix.  I was asking you a question.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Search engine?  What search engine?  I use "site:mises.org" on google.

Anyone know what the deal is with all the empty posts?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

Yes, that is what I meant. When you type in a search term, only a few results come up. It used to work properly, but nowadays I get only a handful of hits.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I tried to point out the problem with avatar causing the gaps between posts above.

I am still having speed problems. Call me paranoid but ever since I made that post about terrorists and freedom fighters. I have been having to wait at least 2 mins after i submit a comment for the page to reload. I tried from another IP and it did the same thing. I doubt that post has anything to do with, probably just a coincidence. I don't have any performance issues on other sites.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Ok please ignore me. Sorry. I think I have just identified the problem. But not sure why the problem is occuring but at least I have identified it.

I tried from work and it worked without any problems, all the avatars load fine.

Page 3 of 3 (112 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS