Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

New Guy

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295
camp_steveo Posted: Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:35 AM

Hi all,

I am very new to economics, and also new to debating politics.  I am just learning about Keynsian V Austrian.  I see truth in the Austrian school, and while Keynes has some valid ideas, the Keynesian school is flawed by human incompetence. 

My understanding is that Austrian school allows the market to be controlled by "the invisible hand".  Is that correct? 

I am in favor of a true free market.  How do we force the US federal govt to a shift in ideology away from Keynesian school? This is my biggest quesiton. 

OK, I look forward to sharing and learning with all.

~SC

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Welcome Steve.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

Hey Steve...

camp_steveo:
How do we force the US federal govt to a shift in ideology away from Keynesian school?

We cannot....

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Welcome to the group.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

Anarchist Cain:

Welcome to the group.

I bet he has a blog too....

Coffee

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Harry Felker:

Coffee

*Sigh*...you're an ass Broken Heart

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

Anarchist Cain:

Harry Felker:

Coffee

*Sigh*...you're an ass Broken Heart

You love it!!!!!!!

Are you now dreaming of becoming a Barbobot?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Spitting out nails and chewing tires as if they were licorice. And I now have chainsaw hands...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

For anyone out of the loop

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

Anarchist Cain:

Spitting out nails and chewing tires as if they were licorice. And I now have chainsaw hands...

Lortabs kicked in... see you tomorrow

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

Thanks for the inspiration...Confused

~SC

Hey Steve...

camp_steveo:
How do we force the US federal govt to a shift in ideology away from Keynesian school?

We cannot....

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 754
Points 11,800

camp_steveo:

Thanks for the inspiration...Confused

~SC

ME:

Hey Steve...

camp_steveo:

We cannot....

Sorry dude, Keynesian Economics are important to Imperial Government....

We can force the federal government out... but that is it...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 11:35 AM

Anarchist Cain:

Ha Ha!

....references. Coffee

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 11:47 AM

Welcome!

camp_steveo:
and while Keynes has some valid ideas,

Such as?

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

Such as what?  Are you saying that Keynes has no valid points whatsoever?  Please don't try to put words into my mouth either.  I am strictly for laisse fairre govt policy.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Spideynw:

Welcome!

camp_steveo:
and while Keynes has some valid ideas,

Such as?

I personally think some of his quotes are fairly insightful, such as "In the long run, we are all dead."  It certainly seems to explains the fatalistic rationalizations his followers seem to employ.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:04 PM

camp_steveo:

Such as what?  Are you saying that Keynes has no valid points whatsoever?  Please don't try to put words into my mouth either.  I am strictly for laisse fairre govt policy.

Wow, settle down cowboy.  I was just wondering what you were referring to, if anything in particular.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

No problem. 

I debate in a liberal forum A LOT, and I may have developed a quick defensive posture.  No offense.

As for Keynes school, no.  I really had nothing specific in mind.  I just didn't want to come across as "hateful" to any Keynesians that may be lurking.

~SC

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:41 PM

camp_steveo:
No offense.

No offense taken.

I guess my pov (point of view) comes from the Mises.org economics quiz.  On all the questions, Mises is right, Keynes is wrong.  Also, Keynesian economists tend to believe that the economy can be modeled, and their models, as far as I know, always fail.

Do they have any valid points?  I don't really know, which I why I was asking.  I have not ran across an Austrian that really believes that they do.

Also, for the most part, I think you will find people here that are genuinely interested in discussing things.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

Thank you for your reply, and I will keep that in mind.  I have a lot to learn before I can seriously debate in this forum, but I plan on sticking around and trying, so thanks again for your advice.

~SC

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS