Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What do you think about the PR campaign in the media praising the fed?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 14,505
SilentXtarian Posted: Fri, Jun 19 2009 12:33 PM

I've noticed an awful lot of praise going towards the fed lately.  Is the media state owned?  Could there be a media conspiracy?  Why is the media reporting on something they know nothing about?  They clearly seem to be in the fed's bags.  But why?  Aren't they liberal?  They say they hate the rich... yet they love the federal reserve... a group of private bankers with federal power that control the country?  That just sounds odd to me...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

Because of the level of responsibility the Fed has in creating the credit contraction that caused this recession and because the Fed plays such a large role in Obama's liberal money pumping welfare and bailout plans, it seems logical to imagine that the government and the government sponsored media would and will do everything in their power to shield the Fed from blame and the logical calls for reform and abolition that would follow should the public become more aware of the Fed's role in this latest downturn as well as its role in every major credit expansion and contraction cycle since its inception.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

I think that they seriously believe that they are correct.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 1:38 PM

laminustacitus:

Yup, uneducated or just plain stupid journalists.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

laminustacitus:

But they must have a motive, right?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Jacob Bloom:

laminustacitus:

But they must have a motive, right?

They believe that what they suggest are the correct theories, there need not be any other motive than that.

- Edmund Burke

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

laminustacitus:

They believe that what they suggest are the correct theories, there need not be any other motive than that.

What if, just hypothetically speaking, they knew what they were saying was false but said it anyways?  Is this possible?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Jacob Bloom:
What if, just hypothetically speaking, they knew what they were saying was false but said it anyways?  Is this possible?

Of course it is, but I see no evidence for calling people in the media liars, there very well may believe what they say. 

- Edmund Burke

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 3:42 PM

Jacob Bloom:

At the school where I work, we have "newswatch" once a week where, for half an hour, we make all the students watch the news.  They used to watch NBC.  I watched them constantly praising bailouts under both administrations - I vividly remember Brian Williams asking another report, in astonishment "Do you mean to say that there are people who actually oppose this plan?"  Every single time, I would point out to the students that GEMoney has a lot of bad loans out for houses and cars.  The school got tired enough of that that they changed the channel.  

Now, I'm not saying that GE tells them to lie.  I'm saying that there's a feel in the air in the newsroom, I'm sure, and a general climate contributing to what these people think.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 3:50 PM
lam:
but I see no evidence for calling people in the media liars, there very well may believe what they say.
LOL. Since there's no way to read people's minds, you can never know if anybody lies. People who lie may 'well believe what they say'.

I suppose that people who steal, but don't believe they are stealing, actually are not stealing...

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 687
Points 16,345

JAlanKatz:

Jacob Bloom:

At the school where I work, we have "newswatch" once a week where, for half an hour, we make all the students watch the news.  They used to watch NBC.  I watched them constantly praising bailouts under both administrations - I vividly remember Brian Williams asking another report, in astonishment "Do you mean to say that there are people who actually oppose this plan?"  Every single time, I would point out to the students that GEMoney has a lot of bad loans out for houses and cars.  The school got tired enough of that that they changed the channel.  

Now, I'm not saying that GE tells them to lie.  I'm saying that there's a feel in the air in the newsroom, I'm sure, and a general climate contributing to what these people think.

Yes, I think so too.  I mean it's so obvious with some news because of how totally biased it is.  Now maybe they do believe they're right.  But I think it's possible that they know they're not telling the whole story but go ahead and report what they report anyways.  And that's sort of like...lying by omission.  Isn't it?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

Juan:
lam:
but I see no evidence for calling people in the media liars, there very well may believe what they say.
LOL. Since there's no way to read people's minds, you can never know if anybody lies. People who lie may 'well believe what they say'.

I suppose that people who steal, but don't believe they are stealing, actually are not stealing...

I do not know whether they are true-believers, or liars; so why assume that they are liars? 

- Edmund Burke

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,685

SilentXtarian:

I've noticed an awful lot of praise going towards the fed lately.  Is the media state owned?  Could there be a media conspiracy?  Why is the media reporting on something they know nothing about?  They clearly seem to be in the fed's bags.  But why?  Aren't they liberal?  They say they hate the rich... yet they love the federal reserve... a group of private bankers with federal power that control the country?  That just sounds odd to me...

The Austrian side of the story is either deeply unpopular or stirs cognitive dissonance among people. How do you tell people government shouldn't print money when many of them benefit from this? How do you contradict the deeply instilled ideas about how the government "helps" the economy (which would allegedly "collapse" without this "help")? Even if you omit some things, questions will soon be raised.

Even conspiracy theories make the average American feel better than Austian economics.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS