Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mark a Post as "Best of" Candidate

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ Posted: Sun, Jul 12 2009 5:01 PM

Given all the thought people put into their posts and some of the great debates we've had, it'd be nice if in the "More" drop-down menu there were an option to submit a post (or possibly a whole thread) as a candidate for a sort of "best of the Forums" section. I see two benefits to this:

1. A growing body of scholarship, FAQs, etc. for people to refer to, learn from, and link to when needed
  2. Additional incentive for people to write good stuff
  • Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Good idea.  I would nominate this one by Spideyny:

Spideynw replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 8:52 AM

Jacob Bloom:
I don't care so much about ideas per se.  I care about actions. 

Then you have no understanding of power.  Ideas are the ultimate power.  Power is not being able to kill someone.  Power is being able to kill someone and then convince everyone that it was OK.  Power is not about being able to steal from someone, but about stealing from someone and then convincing everyone that it was OK.  Government is one big sales pitch.  It is all about confusion and disinformation.  Governments can only do as much as the general populace will allow it to do.  It is all about ideas.

So what we are fighting are not necessarily murderers and thieves, but ideas.  And all of us have the ability to fight ideas.  We can blog, we can financially support organizations trying to educate people, and any other number of things to help spread the word.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 10:22 PM

You could sort-of do that now, with the tagging system; tag a post as "Best of the Forums" or what have you, and if someone disagrees, they could just get a mod to remove it.

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:22 AM

Lilburne, yeah that post was golden. I could hear an epic soundtrack in the background when I read it.

wombatron:
You could sort-of do that now, with the tagging system; tag a post as "Best of the Forums" or what have you, and if someone disagrees, they could just get a mod to remove it.

Can't normal users only edit tags of their own posts? I guess for now someone could post a "Submit your favorite posts" thread. I also know there's tons in the archive that I might never get around to wading through, so it'd be nice, from my own selfish perspective, if people would also dig up their favorite old posts.

The forum may be mostly non-scholars, but there are so few scholars in these fields that I feel like we're doing something here, like we're building something. I suppose the forums have probably, on occasion, covered a number of things that no one's ever looked at before. Also, for instance, building a wiki-style FAQ is a worthwhile endeavor that hasn't been done very thoroughly yet, but there's plenty of daily Q&A here to draw from, if posts were hand picked and organized.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

I elect the Natural Rights thread that lasted +1200 posts. It is a fun issue to discuss when you are not delving into the world of Anarcho-'Mercantilisms' semantical void. I had a fear that he would start questioning whither we can trust if the words in 'Natural rights' had been in fact been correctly and could be objectivity established as truthful or whither their placement was just a matter of our subjective whims. Perhaps I will just type incoherent letters next time and tell him he is thinking too objectively if he tries to rationalize it.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:11 PM

Anarchist Cain:

I elect the Natural Rights thread that lasted +1200 posts. It is a fun issue to discuss when you are not delving into the world of Anarcho-'Mercantilisms' semantical void. I had a fear that he would start questioning whither we can trust if the words in 'Natural rights' had been in fact been correctly and could be objectivity established as truthful or whither their placement was just a matter of our subjective whims. Perhaps I will just type incoherent letters next time and tell him he is thinking too objectively if he tries to rationalize it.

I disagree;  AM made that thread worthwhile for not parroting the same pro natural rights stances, & helped revealed the bias in this community regarding natural rights being re-thought of at all.  

That some continue to strawman him shows that he did infact, hit a nerve, in this regard.  

On topic, I would also put the thread on one of my choices, but I'd have to dig a little into the archives to see if any other good one's come to mind.  

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS