Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Interesting Global Warming Article

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat Posted: Tue, Jan 1 2008 5:15 AM

This article explains why a lot of temperature measures show a general increase. The weather stations are placed in urban areas so when economic activitiy increases so does the temperature.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Tue, Jan 1 2008 8:39 AM

That is likely a part of the overall trend.  But until the next generation of scientists comes up who aren't afraid of bucking the status quo and who haven't hung their reputations on a certain position, this research will get little to no recognition.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 310

xahrx:

That is likely a part of the overall trend.  But until the next generation of scientists comes up who aren't afraid of bucking the status quo and who haven't hung their reputations on a certain position, this research will get little to no recognition.

Regardless of the cause or severity of global warming, the market will sort if out. Completely, efficiently, and absolutely.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Jan 11 2008 4:39 AM

As we are talking snow is falling in Baghdad for the first time in centuries.

Am I wrong or it seems that global warmers and gorites have gone into hibernation (or perhaps their vacation houses in Hawaii or Mexico) and will strike back when the weather will warm up again? If cutting CO2 production (or, much more likely, taxing it into oblivion) is so important why the lull in operations? Perhaps the general public will "not be ready" to hear their enlightened words as they shovel snow from their driveways? 

And another thing. I have noticed how differently "manmade global warming" is treated by the general public on both sides of the Atlantic. In the US there seems to be an hysteria sweeping all levels of the population, with a few isolated voices asking for "more proofs before acting": it almost seems likely there's a mixed feeling of guilt (a characteristic of mainly Christian societies) for being so rich and the usual "call of the Crusader" to save the world. Perhaps it' shoehorning but I think it can be equated with what Rothbard called "Post Millenial Pietism" but with an atheistic/aconfessional setting. In Europe, in the meanwhile, the whole doctrine seems to be confined to the urban elites living in large and hip cities like Milan, Paris or London. Most of the public, regardless of trade, sex and education, seems to view this as yet another attempt to spill out more money and help out our hailing manufacturing industry.

And yet again popular knowledge is probably right.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

A couple of interesting articles on this:

http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20080103/94768732.html

http://www.spaceandscience.net/id16.html

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 12
Points 75

That is, if Government or Supragovernments let it.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,430
CShirk replied on Fri, Jan 11 2008 10:42 AM

Inquisitor:

A couple of interesting articles on this:

http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20080103/94768732.html

http://www.spaceandscience.net/id16.html

Darn, somebody beat me to it. My dad and I were actually talking about this a couple days ago and he mentioned the Russian article. Actually, it kind of depresses me. I was getting used to the fact that I've only had two snow day in the past two years (as opposed to about 1-5 a year 1996-2004), and liking it because I didn't have to drive in the snow. Oh well.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 310

Kakugo:

As we are talking snow is falling in Baghdad for the first time in centuries.

Am I wrong or it seems that global warmers and gorites have gone into hibernation (or perhaps their vacation houses in Hawaii or Mexico) and will strike back when the weather will warm up again? If cutting CO2 production (or, much more likely, taxing it into oblivion) is so important why the lull in operations? Perhaps the general public will "not be ready" to hear their enlightened words as they shovel snow from their driveways? 

And another thing. I have noticed how differently "manmade global warming" is treated by the general public on both sides of the Atlantic. In the US there seems to be an hysteria sweeping all levels of the population, with a few isolated voices asking for "more proofs before acting": it almost seems likely there's a mixed feeling of guilt (a characteristic of mainly Christian societies) for being so rich and the usual "call of the Crusader" to save the world. Perhaps it' shoehorning but I think it can be equated with what Rothbard called "Post Millenial Pietism" but with an atheistic/aconfessional setting. In Europe, in the meanwhile, the whole doctrine seems to be confined to the urban elites living in large and hip cities like Milan, Paris or London. Most of the public, regardless of trade, sex and education, seems to view this as yet another attempt to spill out more money and help out our hailing manufacturing industry.

And yet again popular knowledge is probably right.

Here in the People's Republic of New Jersey, it's been in the 70's for about a week. Does that count as proof for gobal warming? Of course not. Local weather conditions are not the same as global climate conditions.

The only issue I think that libertarians need be concerned with is whether or not people are trying to get the government involved, and in turn we should be advocates for consumer/individual initiative.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS