Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is paul krugman a retard?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
46 Posts
Points 1,310
OntologicalQuandary posted on Thu, Jul 30 2009 11:26 AM

Ok so I have spent a few years studying keynesian economics and just under a year studying the economics advocated by sites such as this one, and I feel that in this year I have learned much more than all the years studying keynesian economics.

This leads me to ask the questions, is Paul Krugman a retard?  I was reading his wikipedia page for some forgotten reason and I read the following excerpt:

Krugman wrote that, "To fight this recession (2002) the Fed needs more than a snapback; it needs soaring household spending to offset moribund business investment. And to do that, as Paul McCulley of PIMCO put it, Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble."[52] He further noted that, "If we do have a housing bubble, and it bursts, we'll be looking a lot too Japanese for comfort" (referring to the Japanese 'lost decade' of slow growth in the 1990s).[53] Krugman later stated that his statement about "a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble" was economic analysis and not policy advocacy.[54]

In 2005, after Greenspan expressed concern over housing markets, Krugman criticized Greenspan's earlier reluctance to regulate the mortgage and related financial markets, arguing that "[he's] like a man who suggests leaving the barn door ajar, and then – after the horse is gone – delivers a lecture on the importance of keeping your animals properly locked up."[55]

Ok so with my newly gained knowledge, it seems to me that he said Greenspan needs to artificially create a housing bubble.  After watching over 9000 Peter Schiff videos, it seems to me that there WAS a housing bubble that was artificially created (I don't know if it was Greenspan, I would have said Freddie and Fannie caused it) and that its collapse is one of the major malfunctions of the degenerating economy we live in today.  

Also, in the second paragraph it seems to me that he is advocating Federal Reserve intervention in the housing and financial markets.  Isn't that one of the problems with the financial collapse as well?

Can someone please explain this to me and if you feel like it explain the real nature of the current financial collapse? Or at least point me to a place where I can learn? Thanks

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 945
Josh replied on Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:31 PM

You know I've been doing a lot of thinking lately along these lines, whether people like Krugman are retards. I would argue that they are much worse than retard, and here's why. Truly retarded people, as in the mentally handicapped, do us a favor by looking different and displaying obviously impaired reasoning and communication skills. I'm not trying to be rude here, but people intuitively know that a retarded person should not be put in a position of authority. People like Krugman, on the other hand, are disguised like intellectuals, making them much more dangerous. They are like retard ninjas, stealthily assassinating reason and common sense at every turn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by Harksaw

OntologicalQuandary:
is Paul Krugman a retard

This is inappropriate for this site.  I'm not so concerned with Krugman, as people with mental disability.  You have no idea who is reading here.

Graveyarded.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

He's obviously not a "retard"; he has high-level cognitive abilities.  However, I do believe he is prone to severe subconscious intellectual bias, and a degree of outright intellectual dishonesty.

I discuss the PIMCO quote and Paul Krugman in general at length in the following three articles:

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 535

OntologicalQuandary:
Or at least point me to a place where I can learn?

>>>>>M E L T D O W N<<<<<

"The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." -H.L. Mencken

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325

Read Lilburne's 3 articles, and then read Meltdown by Tom Woods.

Understanding Austrian Business Cycle Theory is an absolute must. Not just the general theory, but the ins and outs of it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1884822   (Austrian vs. Neoclassical analysis)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1881530   (Austrian Theory of Trade Cycle)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/286223   (Anticapitalist mentality - it's important to get into the heads of the 'ret*rds)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

NewLiberty:
Read Lilburne's 3 articles

Lilburne likes to toil with Krugman, I think he [ Krugman ] is too ingrained into his paradigm to be convienced he is anything but right.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Anarchist Cain:
Lilburne likes to toil with Krugman, I think he [ Krugman ] is too ingrained into his paradigm to be convienced he is anything but right.

I don't toil with Krugman to convince Krugman (I doubt he's read a single thing on Mises.org).  I toil with him to convince people who might be tempted by Krugman's views and to arm everyday people with easy-to-understand anti-Krugman and anti-Keynesian arguments to use against their pro-stimulus friends and colleagues.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Lilburne:
I don't toil with Krugman to convince Krugman (I doubt he's read a single thing on Mises.org).

Are you kidding? The halls of Krugman are thick with the cursings of the name Lilburne. Krugman comes on here everyday waiting for your next piece and if he doesn't get it, a tiny tear falls on his pillow before he goes to bed. You just remember that next time you want to play skeeball instead of writing a criticism of Krugman...remember that tiny tear. Stick out tongue

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Anarchist Cain:

Lilburne:
I don't toil with Krugman to convince Krugman (I doubt he's read a single thing on Mises.org).

Are you kidding? The halls of Krugman are thick with the cursings of the name Lilburne. Krugman comes on here everyday waiting for your next piece and if he doesn't get it, a tiny tear falls on his pillow before he goes to bed. You just remember that next time you want to play skeeball instead of writing a criticism of Krugman...remember that tiny tear. Stick out tongue

LOL!!

Dammit, and I was going to spend the whole weekend playing skeeball, too!!  Time to readjust my value scale...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Lilburne:
I don't toil with Krugman to convince Krugman (I doubt he's read a single thing on Mises.org).  I toil with him to convince people who might be tempted by Krugman's views and to arm everyday people with easy-to-understand anti-Krugman and anti-Keynesian arguments to use against their pro-stimulus friends and colleagues.

Lilburne, I know you're not exactly my biggest fan since some comments I made. But believe me I do think your articles of a great deal of value. Contrary to the impression some of the content of my posts I do think that public intellectuals have great value and I have a lot of respect for those that discover the Austrian school at an older age and consequently edcucate themselves of its teachings. I  believe that whilst Krugman is extremely educated and a very talented individual he wastes his intellect on what is not scientific research but political propoganda. Your articles do a great deal in countering this propoganda. So I must take my hat of to you in that regard.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

lilburne, you should print this out and frame it on your wall.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 150 Contributor
Male
554 Posts
Points 9,130

This thread is, in my humble opinion, quite childish. What matters are Krugman's ideas, not whether he has a mental disorder or is stupid. Now, if his ideas are stupid (which they probably are), that's certainly worth discussing.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:
But believe me I do think your articles of a great deal of value.

GilesStratton:
I  believe that whilst Krugman is extremely educated and a very talented individual he wastes his intellect on what is not scientific research but political propoganda. Your articles do a great deal in countering this propoganda. So I must take my hat of to you in that regard.

I know you're very discerning, Giles.  So coming from you, that means a lot.  Thanks.

Top 200 Contributor
412 Posts
Points 8,630
Suggested by impala76

well just reading dozens of his blogs/articles and seeing him on TV, he really is just a social democrat hack. i know it sounds cliche to shrug off a commentator as just a democratic hack- but that's really what he is.  Since the financial meltdown Krugman hasn't sounded any different then your daily kos dairy poster, he is still running around blaming everything on Bush and Ronald Reagan, kinda funny.

do we get free cheezeburger in socielism?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS