Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What problem do you guys have with consipracy theories?

This post has 324 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630
wilderness replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:28 PM | Locked

Laughing Man:

I'm trying to discover if Sherlock Holmes is a rationalist or a empiricist. He seems to keep on bouncing back and forth.

If you know how to use Utorrent then I can send you the link to download the whole series.

i don't know how to use torrent.  that's ok.

According to what I'm reading, I think he's a rationalist.  I don't know the complete difference, but as I pointed out he observes and notes subtle evidence, the data in the field, but then deduces from these facts using a logic he states has developed over time.  He reviews old cases of his often and likes to think quite often.  He sits and contemplates by his fireplace while smoking his pipe or playing the violin.  Is that a rationalist?  Cause they induct and deduct, correct?  And that's what he does. 

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:32 PM | Locked
LM:
Poptech:
Is this with the concession of the new Iraqi government.
Do you think the Iraqi government really has a choice in the matter?
Not to mention that the iraqi government is just a bunch of thieves and murderers like its counterpart the amerikan government - they have as much authority as the amerikan gov't - that is - ZERO .

Poptech has repeatedly asserted the beyond-stupid claim that the crimes of the amerikan government are legitimized when/if the local governments of the countries attacked by the amerikan military somehow lick the boots of the amerikan military. .

Well, I guess that in the neocon world Poptech lives in, his 'arguments' make sense...

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955
laminustacitus replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:54 PM | Locked

wilderness:

Laughing Man:

I'm trying to discover if Sherlock Holmes is a rationalist or a empiricist. He seems to keep on bouncing back and forth.

If you know how to use Utorrent then I can send you the link to download the whole series.

i don't know how to use torrent.  that's ok.

According to what I'm reading, I think he's a rationalist.  I don't know the complete difference, but as I pointed out he observes and notes subtle evidence, the data in the field, but then deduces from these facts using a logic he states has developed over time.  He reviews old cases of his often and likes to think quite often.  He sits and contemplates by his fireplace while smoking his pipe or playing the violin.  Is that a rationalist?  Cause they induct and deduct, correct?  And that's what he does. 

He bases all of his facts on observation, and physical evidence; he is definately an empiricist. 

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810
Andrew Cain replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:55 PM | Locked

laminustacitus:
He bases all of his facts on observation, and physical evidence; he is definately an empiricist.

Yet he deduces why and how people do crimes through rationalization.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:58 PM | Locked

Poptech:
Is this definition accepted by any dictionary? If not, it is meaningless ...

Not at LvMI.  You are at LvMI.

Poptech:
So now you are threatening me, typical of those in power. What would I be banned for? Disagreeing with you? Fascinating.

We're here to advance liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school.  If that is not your interest, then perhaps you should visit one of the million other niche communities out there.  It's likely there is a better match out there for you.

Poptech:
I know what private property is and do not call myself a conservative but what I actually am, a limited government libertarian.

I've already explained, limited government is a Utopian fallacy.  There is no such thing as a limited government.  If you had spent the last couple months learning any Austrian political theory, you would understand why.

And yes, you're not a conservative, because you don't understand private property.

Poptech:
You stated no WMDs were found, this is false and I have proven it so.

All you have done is play semantic games.  Bush lied.

Poptech:
Ron Paul does not support embassies?

Ron Paul does not support the embassy in Iraq.  He does not support the war in Iraq or Afghanistan.  He doesn't believe the Iraq war was legal.  Have you done any research on Ron Paul?  Read "The Revolution"?  Read his articles on LRC?

Poptech:
I am here because I support Mises and Hayek non-anarchist limited government ideology.

But you don't support limited government.  War is not a limited government position.  Bush was not a limited government President.  Your pal Mitt Romney was not a limited government candidate.  Mises and Hayek would have never supported the Iraq war.   They would have never supported American bases around the world.  Please, don't try to conflate Mises and Hayek with your American exceptionalism and imperialism.  It's disgusting and dishonest.

Poptech:
The fact that I "agitate" non limited government libertarians is something I would expect from the PC police not so called libertarians. Did I hurt someone's "Feelings"? If I agree with you will I now not be an "agitator"? Should I report to the politbureau for reducation?

Again, we're here to further liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school.  If you're not, then you're probably on the wrong site.

And if you complain about the moderating or forum rules one more time, its over.  I've had nearly enough of that since I asked you to pull your signature advertising.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Page 9 of 9 (325 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 | RSS