Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Stateless Law in the Highlands of Guatemala

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
liberty student Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:31 PM

http://www.vimeo.com/7478890

Click here to play this video

Saw this on the Mises blog.  Really interesting presentation.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:03 PM

Nice.

Its cool to see how even in guatamala with all those ethnic and language differences, immense poverty, and all the BS thats gone down there *cough* nixon/CIA *cough* they manage to provide for law and order. Amazing that a case could be resolved in only 1 day.

Although I would like to know why the state courts were so bad. I can see statists watching this movie and saying "yeah but if there were a stronger state this wouldn't be necessary". Missing the point completely of course, but nonetheless.

Also, the issue of justice never really came up. Someone could commit a crime and then just agree to be exiled. I personally don't have a problem with this but people tend to plead fairness as a justification for government control.

Thanks for the post LS. Enjoyed it a lot.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Snowflake:
Thanks for the post LS. Enjoyed it a lot.

My pleasure.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS