Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What commodity would be used as money in space?

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 12:57 AM

Justin Spahr-Summers:
Are you referring to WoW's auction houses? I think I erred in calling this game massively-multiplayer; more precisely, it could be called scalably multiplayer, in that I want a game that can be played solo, with only AIs, as well as a game that can scale up to huge hordes of players. I'm not worried about implementing the networking aspect of that (already got it figured out), but it is causing some dilemmas regarding gameplay, like this one.

Ah yes, that's what they were called. If it's a solo game, then yeah...I'd say if the society is pre-alchemy then use whatever is the key material for the key technology, or for shipbuilding. Can't really do barter if it's single-player without some good AI.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:02 AM

Thanks Ansury.

I think only one of those conditions have to be uniquely met for a commodity to become money. That is, even if all the other items in the game meet all the other requirements, if there is only one item that meets them all then that item will be chosen as money automatically. In MMOs like World of Warcraft, the economy system really makes or breaks the game. These games are extremely materialistic; it's all about the ITEMS.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 418
Points 7,525

I think I've decided on a compromise. All trades with AIs (whether random commodities or ships, outfits, etc.) will be in terms of fuel, but a nice barter system will be in place for player-to-player transactions... so, while fuel is the "default" currency, it's by no means the only one if you're playing with others.

Life and reality are neither logical nor illogical; they are simply given. But logic is the only tool available to man for the comprehension of both.Ludwig von Mises

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,530

Water? O2(oxygen)? They fit the criteria for money pretty well in space.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 317
Points 6,805
dude6935 replied on Mon, Oct 11 2010 2:27 PM

Energy is the ultimate scare resource. By definition, life cannot exist without energy. So I think it makes sense to use a ubiquitous source of energy as money. Just as there is a Goldilocks zone for life, I think there is a Goldilocks zone for money. It needs to be scarce enough to be valuable, but common enough to lubricate exchange. 

EVE has a LOT of potential, but it wastes it. Mining is the most attractive activity to me, but it is SOOO boring. How about a little challenge, a mini game, something? Maybe it is fun in null space or low sec, but I can never find a good corp to play with. And then the only fun aspect is trying to not get blown up.

Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS