Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Invasive Species

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
David Powell Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 5:29 PM

I am wondering how an anarcho-capitalist society would respond to the threat of invasive species.  I have been reading quite a bit about IP lately and this seems to me to be a similar problem. 

i.e. once an idea is created, it spreads and the original person can't really be compensated for it. (and shouldn't, property is something that is scarce, ideas are not) 

It seems to me that the person responsible for introducing the invasive species would also be impossible to be made to pay for the damages caused by their actions. 

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Such as giants toads being introduced into Australia?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

Yeah, I had rats in mind specifically because I had recently seen a show on TV about how rats were introduced to an island and destroyed crops. 

But even if one person couldn't be held accountable, how would we eliminate them all? I assume everyone would pay for exterminators on their own property but what if we have some residents that are pro-toads or pro-rats?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240
Hard Rain replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:08 PM

No reason why there couldn't be a voluntary association of people who contribute and work together to alleviate the problem. This could include outsourcing the solution to a private business with ecological experts etc.

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

how are things dealt with now? why would things be worse without the state in this regard?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Thinking along the lines of the toads, the person who originally set them loose would be solely responsible for ridding every last offending toad.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 396
Points 5,565
sthomper replied on Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:36 PM

someone can choose whether or not to integrate an idea into an action.  kudzu sort of has a mind of its own.  it would maybe be akin to littering something that propagates.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 396
Points 5,565
sthomper replied on Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:26 AM

but if the invasive species was beneficial...you might get a mention in  scientific journal and that would be it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:02 AM

Caley McKibbin:

Thinking along the lines of the toads, the person who originally set them loose would be solely responsible for ridding every last offending toad.

True indeed. But one should keep in mind that “proving” damages brought by any specie is well nigh impossible. Keeping to toads, wouldn’t “native” rats have done more or less just he same damage? If not, what quantifiable difference should be attributed to toads? And if toads have damaged, say, crops, did they do so directly or indirectly, by altering the ecosystem? I’m afraid that in the later case no reasonable arbitrator would allocate damages to be paid, for proof here is impossible to satisfactory provide. On the real world it would boil down to an “unproovable offense”.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS