Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Does determinism debunk praxeology?

rated by 0 users
This post has 90 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:11 PM

Merlin:
Pardon me if I’m wrong, but I truly believe that “determinism” is just about single-way causation, no two-way causation.

It's hard to grasp at first, but it's easier when you see it. If A can only cause B, then B can only be caused by A.

Or in symbolic logic: A -> B, B -> A, A <-> B.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 670
Joel replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:32 PM

ladyattis:

It's hard to grasp at first, but it's easier when you see it. If A can only cause B, then B can only be caused by A.

That does not follow.

Even if A can cause nothing but B, it may still be the case that other things can cause B besides A.

That is, A may consist of one way to skin a cat.  But there are other ways.

'A' may necessarily result in a skinned cat, but a skinned cat does not imply that method A was used.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:52 PM

ladyattis:

Or in symbolic logic: A -> B, B -> A, A <-> B.

If that were to follow, no differentiation between "A -> B" and "A <-> B" would be necessary.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RedScourge replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:33 AM

"...and the philosophers laughed and one of them said 'So you are determined to believe in determinism.' "

The simple response he could have given to win it back is "I am not free to do otherwise".

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Logic is inherently deterministic.  "Choice" is an empty set word attached to a proposition, nothing special.  Determinism, in almost any sense, certainly doesn't conflict with Menger and Bohm-Bawherk, who were determinists.  And I would say it would be very difficult to conflict with anything Mises had to say.

What's probably getting confused with questions like this is the nature of subjectivism - which in our case is not nihilism or skepticism

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

nandnor:

That makes it feel like praxeology is just mental masturbation like any other religious or philosophical treatise, as far as explaining the objective world is concerned.

I may be confusing this with theological determinsim, however, as a Christian who does not believe in free will, this is a topic of some interest to me. In another thread that I started on the praxeology of animals, one poster put it this way: wether or not animals are capable of action in the Misesian sense is irrelevant. the better question to ask would be: is it useful to analyze animals in a praxeological sense or an instinctual sense?

I think this same mentality could be applied to the OP's question. While I do not believe God granted men free will in the theological or supernatural sense, it would not be useful for me to analyze the world under a framework of complete determinism, be it in the physical or theological sense. I find that looking at the world through the lens of praxeology tends to yield the best results.

I can understand why this might be confusing for a lot of people, especially atheists or even deists. Put shortly, I can view the entire of everything in two realities. On the one hand, there is the upper, over-arching reality which the knowledge of lies in the possession of God. He wills everything, and because he knows everything, then I cannot actually have free will. For if he knows I will do one thing, and I do the opposite of that thing, then this God does not know everything. On the other hand, there is the reality I live and function under. Here I perceive the sensation of choice. I make choices that I believe are suitable to achieve my ends, however from the theological level, these choices were al predetermined.

Atheists are free to reject this idea, of course, and they probably will. But this does not mean that there cannot be a secular version that still holds true: biological or physical determinism such as that favored by Freud.    

If you want my 21 page long answer to this question, PM me. 

P.S. why does the spell check on Mises own forum still tell me that praxeology is not a word? Ironic in a way...

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:11 AM

Epic bump. 

The Texas Trigger, I assume your reason for rejecting free will is to attempt to reconcile omnipotence with our subjective impression of choice. Are you a biblical literalist by any chance?

“Elections are Futures Markets in Stolen Property.” - H. L. Mencken

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:56 AM

Determinism could debunk any human science. But it is impractical as hell.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

zefreak:
Are you a biblical literalist by any chance?

Zefreak, there are many absurdities proclaimed in the world but few reach the absurdity of a literal interpretation of the Bible. So no, I am not a literalist. I think any scholarship done on the context of books like Genesis and Revelation will prove them to be works of poetry heavy in metaphor. Even without the scholarship, its pretty clear anyway.

For instance, if you do even the bare minimum of theological and historical research, the "world-wide" flood of noah and the arc is obviously regional. The term world-wide flood merely meant that everyone on the Earth besides Noah and his family would perish in that flood. By no means should we assume that the entire Earth was in fact flooded with water. The population at that time was so negligent and local that any flood we hear of on the daily news would likely dwarf it. Again, atheists and deists are free to reject even my conception of what the flood was, but it is important to understand (whether you believe in it or not) what the authors meant when they wrote what they wrote. 

The kind of people who believe in the world-wide flood also believe there will be one man called the anti-christ who will rule the world, and there will be a definite and literal tribulation. This belief was largely the result of a man named John Darby falling off of his horse. The Revelation was all a dream...come on, no wonder the world thinks we are nut jobs. 

I do have to ask, what prompted the question of whether or not I am a biblical literalist?

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Mon, Jul 30 2012 1:09 AM

Hey there, sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I've been inactive for so long I always forget to check the forum.

The reason I asked is because it seemed like you possibly rejected free-will because of its implications for an omnipotent God. While I reject free will as a confused concept (on logical as well as evidencial grounds), I think God's omnipotence can be questioned using old testament scripture that is unrelated to free will.

I'm an athiest so I have no horse in this race, but if your reasoning for rejecting free will is as I thought, I think that I could persuade you that the God of the bible can't be omnipotent through other means if you are so inclined.

“Elections are Futures Markets in Stolen Property.” - H. L. Mencken

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

...(on logical as well as evidencial grounds)...

So what are the flaws in logic and what is the evidence?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Page 3 of 3 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS