Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Signature

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 4,775
Leviathan posted on Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:29 AM

How do I add one? Do you need a minimum post count?

The workmen desire to get as much, the master to give as little as possible...It is not difficult to foresee which of the two parties must force the other into a compliance with their terms. -Adam Smith

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

You can add one via your profile. Just edit your profile and you'll see.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:42 AM

The sig should be editable by clicking: Community --> Edit Profile --> Site Options

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 4,775

I know; it's just that the forum software reported that it was over 256 characters even when it wasn't.

The workmen desire to get as much, the master to give as little as possible...It is not difficult to foresee which of the two parties must force the other into a compliance with their terms. -Adam Smith

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:51 AM

It does that to me, too. I don't know why.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 4,775

It seemed to be the font, as I placed the signature in (albeit edited, which I dismally expect will bring accusations of twisting) with normal font without problems.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:59 AM

What's the full quote? From what you have now, I suspect the first issue that will be raised is that you could switch workmen and master without really affecting the truth of the sentence.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 4,775

AJ:

What's the full quote? From what you have now, I suspect the first issue that will be raised is that you could switch workmen and master without really affecting the truth of the sentence.

I'd say not, as he was speaking of wages specifically:

What are the common wages of labor, depends everywhere upon the contract usually made between those two parties, whose interests are by no means the same. The workmen desire to get as much, the masters to give as little as possible. The former are disposed to combine in order to raise, the latter in order to lower the wages of labor.

It is not, however, difficult to foresee which of the two parties must, upon all ordinary occasions, have the advantage in the dispute and force the other into a compliance with their terms.

I placed an extended version in my bio instead.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

You know, it's really cool that you are quoting 18th century fallacies like the 'iron law of wages'

Yes You get a thumbs up

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:12 AM

OK, I googled it. The next sentence from Smith is, "The masters, being fewer in number, can combine much more easily; and the law, besides, authorizes, or at least does not prohibit their combinations, while it prohibits those of the workmen."

I'm pretty sure that you won't encounter much support here for prohibiting workers from organizing. I think Rothbard, Mises, etc. were for unions as long as they had no special (additional) legal privileges.

It seems to me, in any case, that the workers desire to give as little labor as possible and the managers to give as little compensation as possible. Asking the manager why he doesn't pay more seems the same as asking the worker why he doesn't put in free overtime.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 4,775

Oh, that was certainly understood. It's merely that I believe that he'd express the same opposition to modern arrangements that just as effectively impede the development of workers' organization even if they don't receive direct and formal state sponsorship.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

You have to type the signature manually into the text field. Unfortunately, you can't simply copy and paste it into the text field.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS