Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Can "saving" only involve money/currency??

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 1,130
peachmat posted on Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:21 PM

Can "saving" only involve money/currency??

In an economic sense, can it also apply to labour, and time?? If you start fundamentally defining what money actually is i think saving actually refers to your labour and time.

What are your thoughts??

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Jorge A. Medina:
You can't save time because you can't hold it in your hands?
correct

Jorge A. Medina:
Time is a scarce resource and like any resource can be consumed or not consumed.
ok, i dare you to not consume the next second.

Jorge A. Medina:
 In the case of time, the consuming takes place in deciding how to consume, not if it should be consumed.
so its different than other resources. i agree that it is different !

Jorge A. Medina:
What will I spend my time on?
yes. always; on what shall i spend the time at my disposal now....?and never, what time should i save now, so that i can have the stored up time at a later time when i would prefer it.?

time is at ones disposal. the disposal is compulsary and you will dispose of it. never saving it.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
86 Posts
Points 1,225

nirgrahamUK:
i dare you to not consume the next second.

It pains me.  Touche!

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It has been my honour good sir. .....till next time.

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
481 Posts
Points 7,280

Jorge A. Medina:
Are you saying you can't save time?

When people say they are "saving time" they are merely employing a euphemism for saving labor or making labor more efficient. There is no way for a person to vary the amount of time they consume (Einstein notwithstanding).

Not Ranked
Male
86 Posts
Points 1,225

DBratton:
When people say they are "saving time" they are merely employing a euphemism for saving labor or making labor more efficient. There is no way for a person to vary the amount of time they consume (Einstein notwithstanding).

Excellent point.  Thanks.

replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 4:53 AM

start with calling saving the involvement of money and currency.

think of other words for labor and time and other stuff and use those.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS