Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Free Market Fractional Reserve banking

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 81 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
289 Posts
Points 9,530
Kenneth posted on Sun, Jan 31 2010 8:03 AM

Was Rothbard opposed to fractional reserve banking in its entirety or is he only against fractional reserve banking by a state central bank? There's a lecture by Jeff Hummel entitled "Why fractional reserve banking is more libertarian than the gold standard". Is the disagreement just with technicalities(fractional reserve banking with a state versus without a state) or is there a real conflict between gold standard and fractional reserve banking among libertarians?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 5:36 PM

Angurse:

DD5:
 No, I'm sorry but the degree of loan investment for holding cash is 0.  Therefore, it is not a loan.  That's why it is also called hoarding.

It isn't called hoarding, hoarding is when you stuff it under your mattress as opposed to putting it into an interest-bearing account. The difference is pretty obvious.

Another improvised assertion:  hoarding is now only when you put money under the mattress.  

It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to want to hold their money in a warehouse for for the services of safekeeping and other convenient services such as checkbook money, balance statements, etc....  That's what a demand deposit is.  

so your dichotomy of holding cash with interest vs holding cash with no interest remains false.  

You continue to conflate demand to hold money with investing in loans.   That's basically what it comes down to.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,124 Posts
Points 37,405

DD5:
Another improvised assertion:  hoarding is now only when you put money under the mattress.

Improvised by you perhaps, I didn't say such a thing. (remove the "now" and the "only")

DD5:
It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to want to hold their money in a warehouse for for the services of safekeeping and other convenient services such as checkbook money, balance statements, etc....  

Sure. I haven't said that warehousing was a loan now have I?

DD5:
so your dichotomy of holding cash with interest vs holding cash with no interest remains false.   You continue to conflate demand to hold money and investments.

Not at all, interest is an extremely important distinction, as interest being paid on an account logically entails that the money is being used.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635

Angurse:

yessir:
As long as we agree that FRB would basically not exist in a free market i'm fine. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but...

but what? Who would accept notes from a bank that engages in FRB and is at all times bankrupt?

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:07 PM

Angurse:
Sure. I haven't said that warehousing was a loan now have I?

Good, so we finally agree on something here, maybe?   So a deposit in a warehouse would render a demand deposit.  So you'll agree that in this case, the bank/warehouse owner would commit a fraudulent act such as  misappropriation if he lends out the money, correct?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Nielsio:

Smiling Dave:

What I don't understand is why is it fraud if everything is spelled out in advance? All parties know in advance what they are getting into, no one is being duped. So where is the fraud?

If you give me your bicycle, then a week later I will return to you two bicycles! Well.. not actually two bicycles but two tickets. You can exchange those two tickets for a total of 3/4th of a bicycle on the market.

Fraud or normal business proposal? (or both?)

All this is spelled out clearly in advance? If so, I may be foolish for agreeing, but it is not fraud.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Male
100 Posts
Points 2,000
Cabal replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:12 PM

yessir:

but what? Who would accept notes from a bank that engages in FRB and is at all times bankrupt?

See this is what I don't get.

It seems to me in an anarchist society, FRB would fail in competition and in practice with full-reserve banks, and thus while 'allowed' wouldn't be practical or successful.

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

Smiling Dave:

All this is spelled out clearly in advance? If so, I may be foolish for agreeing, but it is not fraud.

Perhaps not fraud in the criminal sense, but fraud in the sense of 'trickery' ( @ dictionary.reference.com ) .

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:22 PM

Cabal:

yessir:

See this is what I don't get.

It seems to me in an anarchist society, FRB would fail in competition and in practice with full-reserve banks, and thus while 'allowed' wouldn't be practical or successful.

It's not a matter of allowing or banning any particular system.  It's about logically valid contractual agreements and their enforcement.  It's about whether banks that  engage in FRB are committing the crime of misappropriation or embezzlement [or not], under the assumption that such crimes are likely to be recognized as crimes in any free and voluntary society.

Not Ranked
Male
100 Posts
Points 2,000
Cabal replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:32 PM

DD5:

It's not a matter of allowing or banning any particular system.  It's about logically valid contractual agreements and their enforcement.  It's about whether banks that  engage in FRB are committing the crime of misappropriation or embezzlement [or not], under the assumption that such crimes are likely to be recognized as crimes in any free and voluntary society.

I think I see what you're getting at. Basically, how can a bank take A amount of money, wave a magic wand, and produce B amount of money artificially? In other words, if I deposit $1,000 into a bank, how can it take $800 of that deposit, loan it out to someone else and still maintain my $1000 deposit as well. It just created $800 out of nowhere at the potential expense of my deposit.

But again, in an anarchist society, if banks let it be known that they either practice FRB or full-reserve banking, it seems like a reasonable conclusion that most people would prefer to engage in business with the latter bank as opposed to the former, no?

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635

What would this contract look like?

You gave us 1000 dollars, we don't have it anymore. But if you ask us, we might be able to scramble it together?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 10:02 PM

yessir:

What would this contract look like?

You gave us 1000 dollars, we don't have it anymore. But if you ask us, we might be able to scramble it together?

A bank deposit contract with a clause, perhaps saying something like this:   the money will earn x amount of interest while it is being lent out , liquidity depends on the available pool of reserves, redemption may be deferred indefinitely, etc...

If a person with such a deposit wants to use checkbook money or banknotes or any type of fiduciary media , there should be no deliberate attempt to conceal the nature of the deposit behind the media.

Something of the above nature would certainly not be fraud.  Will people accept such media as money?  That's for you to ponder upon.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,124 Posts
Points 37,405

DD5:
Good, so we finally agree on something here, maybe?   So a deposit in a warehouse would render a demand deposit.  So you'll agree that in this case, the bank/warehouse owner would commit a fraudulent act such as  misappropriation if he lends out the money, correct?

If the terms and conditions spell out "warehousing" certainly, it would either be breach of contract or fraud depending on the actual intentions of the banker.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Merlin:

But they do. Every time you transact with anyone, you assume some risk.

That is simply the dumbest argument for a crime that I ever seen.  Next time I rob a bank, I'll tell the judge that is was fair because the bank assumed the risk of robbery by opening the branch.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645

Caley McKibbin:

That is simply the dumbest argument for a crime that I ever seen.  Next time I rob a bank, I'll tell the judge that is was fair because the bank assumed the risk of robbery by opening the branch.

I understand that reading posts to the end is not everyone’s no.1 pastime, yet I’d advice it before attacking someone’s position. As I said in that very post:

Imposing a 100% reserve requirement, apart from enforceability issues, would force people to chose among a liquid account with little to no interest at all, and an immobilized account with relatively high interest. What if I want a middle solution? What if clients prefer some interest rate and some liquidity? Note that a bank that engages in (limited) fractional reserve operations offers a higher interest rate on deposits, yet a lower liquidity rate due to a higher risk of default. Deposits come to resemble some sort of investment. Why would we deny the public this middle choice? Who are we to presume we know better than they?

I know most would say “as long as they put it in the contract, its fine”. But how can this be put on a contract? “I retain the right to retrieve my deposit, unless the Bank ends up with no fund, in which case I give up my claim”? Well, that is exactly what is implied while transacting with a limited liability company. Thus, legally speaking, the bank owner is within his most perfect rights when engaging in fractional reserve banking.

Clearer now?

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Merlin:
I know most would say “as long as they put it in the contract, its fine”. But how can this be put on a contract? “I retain the right to retrieve my deposit, unless the Bank ends up with no fund, in which case I give up my claim”? Well, that is exactly what is implied while transacting with a limited liability company. Thus, legally speaking, the bank owner is within his most perfect rights when engaging in fractional reserve banking.

Firstly, what's wrong with that? Any contract voluntarily agreed on by both parties is fine. Think Vegas.

Secondly, how about: “I retain the right to retrieve my deposit, under all circs. I understand the bank may lend part or all of it to someone, them gambling that I won't ask for the money, me gambling that they will have it if I need it. Should the bank run out of money, they owe it to me just the same and I don't give up my claim.”

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 6 (82 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS