Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

A concern on Outsourcing............

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 65 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115
wolfman posted on Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:48 AM

I am sure you guys have already discussed outsourcing here.

But since I am new I would like to know what AE thinks about outsourcing

Also, is there any difference from the book term "outsourcing" and what really goes on in the real world. For example............China's full control over its currency can keep the level of outsourcing in America much higher.

So far my understanding about outsourcing is like this: depending on the laws and political will...................nations will exchange factors of production...........however, the more similar economies are.....the less negative impacts of outsourcing...........think EU members.

On the other hand, the more different economies are.....the more negative and positive impacts. Think US-China, US-Mexico. The poorer nation benefits at the expense of the other.

Thank you for sharing your information.

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Answered (Verified) Conza88 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:41 AM
Verified by wolfman

wolfman:
I would like to know what AE thinks about outsourcing

The Economics of Outsourcing - William Anderson

http://blog.mises.org/2275/outsourcing-orders-menacing-thieving-and-un-american/

http://blog.mises.org/7927/downward-dollar-delivers-blow-to-outsourcing/

http://blog.mises.org/1383/restrictions-on-outsourcing/

http://blog.mises.org/1482/hurrah-for-outsourcing/

In Defense of Outsourcing

http://blog.mises.org/1885/a-dangerous-form-of-outsourcing/

http://blog.mises.org/2463/paul-samuelson-vs-outsourcing/

http://blog.mises.org/1464/a-limit-on-job-outsourcing/

The Perils of Outsourcing

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115
wolfman replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:50 PM

Sorry, but i think that looks different from reality.

All over America there are many places where labor markets are paid very different. Yet, obviously we never say, california is outsousing jobs to alabama. Who cares? its the same country, if the company moves so can the employee to keep his job in his own country.

But I think in real life the business is different accross countries.

Also what evidence do you have that new industries are being created???

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

wolfman:

Taking this to an extreme.................let us suppose that every single job in America could be outsourced. Either by technical advances or by insourcing cheap labor (removing legal status as requirement for employment).

This isn't what outsourcing achieves.  What outsourcing is really a conduit for is the extension of the division of labor across the world.  If an industry is exported to a foreign country, a new one is created in place of the last one, because labor is always sought after unless the market is distorted by interventions which create a surplus in labor.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Are you going to tell me that outsourcing and trading with China is Ok under AE??? Nuts if you say yes

Nuts if you say no.

Who cares? its the same country, if the company moves so can the employee to keep his job in his own country.

What makes you think it does not differ within countries too... ?

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115
wolfman replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:57 PM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Regarding monetary economics from Mises' book I learned something very interesting which my mainstream economics textbooks could never answer. "Bad money drives out good money"

If I apply this same principle to the outsourcing problem I think I get somewhere. The US is trading with China at a far greater degree of economic freedom that China's.

Can we deduct that China's can benefit from this game at the expense of America playing free???

I think they do................that's why I oppose outsourcing under the current system.

I have another question for you....................Under AE.............is there any different from free trade with Canada and free trade with Mexico??

Conza88:

wolfman:
Are you going to tell me that outsourcing and trading with China is Ok under AE??? Nuts if you say yes

Once again, Austrian Economics is value free - the fact that I need to even repeat this is appalling.

You are referring to Libertarianism - i.e political philosophy.

What is wrong with free trade? What is wrong with the free market?

wolfman:
Also I am supposed to read or adopt those like the holy bible??

You're not "supposed" to do anything. You can do what you want (within the forum rules). I'd suggest you present logically valid arguments of what you disagree with, or agree with.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,129 Posts
Points 16,635

wolfman:

All over America there are many places where labor markets are paid very different. Yet, obviously we never say, california is outsousing jobs to alabama. Who cares? its the same country, if the company moves so can the employee to keep his job in his own country.

So you're a nationalist and not a humanist?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

Why not?

The EU is similar to the US. They have surrendered their economic nationalism. If a company in Germany moves to Spain due to cheap labor, german employees can follow their company and vice versa.

But China and US is a very different scenario. One is even communist. sorry guys .......................I just think we have to think this one harder............I believe China is sucking up America.

I really don't have a position against or favoring outsourcing....................I am just trying to get realistic here..................while looking at the mighty knowledge of AE.

Jon Irenicus:

Nuts if you say no.

Who cares? its the same country, if the company moves so can the employee to keep his job in his own country.

What makes you think it does not differ within countries too... ?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

Neither.......................just trying to reconcile theory with reality. Outsourcing as we call it today.....................would not even be a concern if born out of real economic freedom. But I believe its very different with China.

Giant_Joe:

wolfman:

So you're a nationalist and not a humanist?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:14 PM

wolfman:

Taking this to an extreme.................let us suppose that every single job in America could be outsourced. Either by technical advances or by insourcing cheap labor (removing legal status as requirement for employment).

Will this be beneficial to America in anyway???

It would be a net benefit to the world at the very least. Why America? Why not your specific state, or your specific industry (especially if it is protected by tariffs, for instance, and the question were whether we should get rid of the tariffs)?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

Sure...........why not?? But that would make the discussion here way more difficult I guess.

Feel free to bring any suggestions.

AJ:

wolfman:

It would be a net benefit to the world at the very least. Why America? Why not your specific state, or your specific industry (especially if it is protected by tariffs, for instance, and the question were whether we should get rid of the tariffs)?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

Would it be Ok for you if the world benefits at the expense of this country?? By means of outsourcing America of course.

AJ:

wolfman:

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:31 PM

wolfman:
Would it be Ok for you if the world benefits at the expense of this country??

You still haven't explained how one country (say China) benefits at the expense of another country (say USA).  You just keep asserting it over and over again. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

I am so sorry. I thought that did not need any explanation.

1) China's undervalued currency for decades.

2) Economic freedom in the US is much higher than China's.

3) Lets not even get started in copyrights violations, stealing military technologies and using its economic influence for political purposes.

If these are not enough for you I will conclude that you speak Russian and I speak Arabic.............therefore................no good communication can exist between the two of us.

DD5:

wolfman:
Would it be Ok for you if the world benefits at the expense of this country??

You still haven't explained how one country (say China) benefits at the expense of another country (say USA).  You just keep asserting it over and over again. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:42 PM

wolfman:

How does this make China exploit the US?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

You need Eco 101 to arrive to that conclusion.

DD5:

wolfman:

Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:00 PM

wolfman:

DD5:

wolfman:

And you sound like a bad computer program that tries to mimic human conversation, but you still lacks the capability of distinguishing between questions and conclusions, so you're busted.  You haven't even figured out that a reply comes after the quote and not before.

I won't waste my time on you.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
290 Posts
Points 6,115

I hope we can talk when you finish eco 101.

DD5:

wolfman:

DD5:

wolfman:

And you sound like a bad computer program that tries to mimic human conversation, but you still lacks the capability of distinguishing between questions and conclusions, so you're busted.  You haven't even figured out that a reply comes after the quote and not before.

I won't waste my time on you.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS