Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Powerlifting & Weight Training

rated by 0 users
This post has 196 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Doesn't soy have estrogen or some female hormones in it?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:44 PM
So animal protein, more meals, separate cardio and lifting? Would it be worth just lifting straight 2 days a week, and straight cardio 2 days a week, or is my current routine more optimal?
You need to lift weights every day, and do cardio every day. Sometimes, I just go for a brisk walk in the morning. Just get your heart rate up. You don't have to kill yourself. I can sleep through my cardio... :P
Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I do morning and night walks every day for the last 10 years just cause. Without a gym, situps and push ups would be a good addition. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:46 PM

Sieben:

And lots and lots of anecdotes about vegans, who no matter how much soy protein they took in, could never gain very much weight.

Who said that soy protein would be a good thing to eat?

Why does being a vegan trying to gain weight mean eating as much soy protein as possible?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:50 PM
Liberty, at least read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_%28nutrient%29#Sources This is also a good introduction, even if it is not as science-y as I would like. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hugo_newyear2.htm
Banned
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:51 PM
Who said that soy protein would be a good thing to eat? Why does being a vegan trying to gain weight mean eating as much soy protein as possible?
I guess if you want to go out looking for plant proteins that have comparable BVs to meats, okay.
Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:52 PM

In general, animal proteins have a higher BV than vegetable protein, due to the resemblance of humans and animals.

What does that have to do with anything?

Does grass really work well for cows because of how similar they are to it?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:56 PM

Sieben:

I guess if you want to go out looking for plant proteins that have comparable BVs to meats, okay.

Or you could just eat things and see what happens.

What the hell is a BV% anyway? Are you just taking their word for it?

(I don't have much respect for "nutrition science" or whatever you want to call it.)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:03 PM

Whats wrong with just eating more meat? It's far healthier.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:03 PM

I. Ryan:
(I don't have much respect for "nutrition science" or whatever you want to call it.)
Agreed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:04 PM

filc:

Whats wrong with just eating more meat?

Nothing that I know of.

filc:

It's far healthier.

How do you know?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:08 PM

How do I know that eating meat is healthy?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:09 PM

flic:

How do I know that eating meat is healthy?

No, you said "far healthier".

If you want to retract that and replace it with "healthy", then I will retract my question.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:24 PM

For Athelete's, would you say that eating meat is only marginally more beneficial by comparison to plant proteins like soy? Especially when you consider everything else you posted above? Have you not read the vegan horror stories where people boycott meat in their diet's? For an athlete I think "far" is a fair assessment, though obviously that is an opinion. 

Obviously "far" is a subjective term. Though that type of nit picking could be applied any where. For example, I think that Austrian Economics is far more concise as opposed to Monetarism. How far? I don't know. It's an opinion I hold. Perhaps you don't.

Your welcome to disagree, so whats the point to this pedantic interrogation?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:28 PM

flic:

Obviously "far" is a subjective term. Though that type of nit picking could be applied any where. For example, I think that Austrian Economics is far more concise as opposed to Monetarism. How far? I don't know. It's an opinion I hold. Perhaps you don't.

I'm challenging calling it "healthier", not specifically the "far".

flic:

For Athelete's, would you say that eating meat is only marginally more beneficial by comparison to plant proteins like soy?[...] For an athlete I think "far" is a fair assessment, though obviously that is an opinion.

How does it even make sense to try to make a blanket statement like that?

flic:

Have you not read the vegan horror stories where people boycott meat in their diet's?

Usually the word "vegan" refers to people who eat a lot of processed meat substitutes!

flic:

Your welcome to disagree, so whats the point to this pedantic interrogation?

I'm challenging your ideas.

(Isn't that one of the things that forums are for?)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:33 PM

I. Ryan.:
I'm challenging calling it "healthier", not specifically the "far".

I. Ryan:
No, you said "far healthier".

If you want to retract that and replace it with "healthy", then I will retract my question.

I think this conversation is over.

I don't particularly appreciate being walked into a trap. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:35 PM

flic:

I think this conversation is over.

Hm, why?

flic:

I don't particularly appreciate being walked into a trap.

How's that a trap?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:42 PM

You should probably re-read your posts to me and see where things may have been confusing. 

I haven't the time or energy for pettiness atm[early flight].  Your being coy, and I am not particularly interested in playing games. If you have a point to make I'd appreciate it. Otherwise you won't get much else out of me. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:45 PM

flic:

You should probably re-read your posts to me and see where things may have been confusing.

I did, but didn't find any traps.

flic:

I haven't the time or energy for pettiness atm[early flight].  Your being coy, and I am not particularly interested in playing games. If you have a point to make I'd appreciate it. Otherwise you won't get much else out of me.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but you're free to leave the conversation at any time.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:38 AM

@Libertyandlife

What are your goals? There are goals to increase strength, to get bigger, to get faster, goals to lose weight, ect... Thats whats important, identifying what your goals are. 

It's IMHO that many allegedly scientific nutrition studies and books are more ideological than science(not all). Much of it is severely anecdotal or isolated studies that just contradict other historical isolated studies. It's hard to take much of it seriously. 

I consider myself fairly fit, and not meaning to sound pompous, I'd say I'm more fit than most avid gym goers. I can usually lift more, and run faster, but I am also aware of those who are faster or stronger than me, and I know what they've done to reach that level. I like to think I have a moderate idea of what to do, and if not at least where to get research to find out. If your interested we can carry this convo over to PM's.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 7:56 AM
I. Ryan:
What does that have to do with anything?
Biological value is a measure of how much of the nutrients are absorbed and used by your body. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_value
Does grass really work well for cows because of how similar they are to it?
No. It just depends on their digestive system and how their bodies react hormonally to handle the nutrients. Gorillas are an even better example. They eat a very low protein diet (just leaves and stuff), and they're hugely strong and muscular. Different species though...
filc:
It's IMHO that many allegedly scientific nutrition studies and books are more ideological than science(not all). Much of it is severely anecdotal or isolated studies that just contradict other historical isolated studies. It's hard to take much of it seriously.
Just do what the bodybuilders and fitness models do. Copy the winners.
Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670

> Just do what the bodybuilders and fitness models do. Copy the winners.

Seriously?  I mean, seriously? 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 347
Points 6,365

Lets face it, a muscular in shape Austrian economist is an unstoppable combination for a babe magnet.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 8:58 AM

Hey kaju, just now I saw you did enjoy BJJ, it's quite fun indeed! But too much muscle mass can be detrimental to the cardio and flexibility. Of course strenght is great for a grappling art, but it must be functional.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Nice to see this thread up and around again.

Vitor, strength shouldn't get in the way of cardio and flexibility. See this: Project Total Conditioning

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:22 AM

Jalank,

No you don't literally copy Jay Cutler's workout. There is a bodybuilding community, and they were all beginners once too. When I say 'copy the winners', I mean copy HOW they won.

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

*in shape austrian economist walks up to hot babe 10 at a bar*

"Why don't go back to my place, and see what the opportunity cost of some human action would be"

"Don't you know that prices rise from low supply, and by supply I mean me"

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 40
Kyle replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:41 AM

tim ferriss is going to solve all my fitness woes with his new '4 hour body' book :) 

haha he does have an interesting post on his blog where he gained 32 pounds of muscle in 28 days (documented)

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:45 AM

LibertyandLife:
*in shape austrian economist walks up to hot babe 10 at a bar*
No drinking. No drugs. A lot of fitness models use coccaine and meth to get through their workouts and burn more BF. But they're at 3% BF, and we're not there yet :)

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^There goes my ambitions :P

Honestly though, if your in shape, and intelligent, there's not much more that a woman could want (besides personality, and slyness).

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:32 PM

Women and guys who are REALLY in shape don't mix. Guys who are really in shape don't eat out, have regular sleep schedules, and religiously follow their diets and exercise plans. In short, we are driven by purpose.

The majority of people aren't. If you ask a girl why she is drinking a coke, her answer will demonstrate lack of knowledge, foresight, responsibility, and drive. The gap between "normal" people and fit people is large physically, but even larger mentally.

Girls like skinny guys with six packs and a little hang on their pecs. These guys can party, eat out, and stay up all night talking to girls on the phone. It doesn't ruin their bodies because they don't really have a body to begin with. They just lack fat (everyone has a six pack if they are lean enough).

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 3:07 PM

Sieben:

No. It just depends on their digestive system and how their bodies react hormonally to handle the nutrients. Gorillas are an even better example. They eat a very low protein diet (just leaves and stuff), and they're hugely strong and muscular. Different species though..

To be clear, I was mocking the article.

(I wasn't seriously asking that question.)

Sieben:

Biological value is a measure of how much of the nutrients are absorbed and used by your body.

I was challenging their idea that the BV% is higher for animal protein because animals are more similar to us.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:17 PM

Kaju, strength doesn't necessarily gets in the way of cardio, but muscle mass does, since they demand a lot of oxygen. When comes to martial arts, pure strenght can do very little by itself.

I see the ideal conditioning being the one of Cain Velasquez, he has incredible speed, cardio and coordination for a guy his size while being a strong due.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:42 PM

I. Ryan:

I was challenging their idea that the BV% is higher for animal protein because animals are more similar to us.

I dont know if I made that argument...

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:44 PM

Sieben:

I dont know if I made that argument...

Which is why I said "their idea", not "your idea".

(I was directly responding to one of the lines from the article that you linked to.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

@Filc, in few words, I want to look like Bruce Lee, just not as amazing. What I mean by that is, I don't want to be a hulk, behemoth, or just huge. I want to have noticeably fit muscles, while remaining lean.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

@Filc, in few words, I want to look like Bruce Lee, just not as amazing. What I mean by that is, I don't want to be a hulk, behemoth, or just huge. I want to have noticeably fit muscles, while remaining lean.

Worrying about looking like The Hulk from getting into weight-lifting is like worrying about winning a Nobel prize in economics from reading Freakonomics. Don't worry, as long as you keep doing plenty of cardio you won't get really big suddenly enough to pass through the Bruce Lee Stage to the Hulk Stage without being able to stop. Just lift heavy stuff.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Page 5 of 5 (197 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS