Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Applying Austrian Economics to Preparedness

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
cstreeter Posted: Mon, Jun 7 2010 6:33 PM

Hello Everyone:

MY STORY

My journey began in the 80's as a "conservative". I turned 18 in January of 1980 and registered as a Republican and voted for my hero of the day, Ronald Reagan. In 1982 I joined the US Army (doing my duty for country) and stayed in through service in the Gulf War (90-91).  In the service I witnessed much government waste. I tried to talk to my superiors about things I saw but was essentially dismissed. In 1995, I read G. Edward Griffin's book "The Create From Jekyll Island. That book was my wake-up call, it changed my thinking and I started investigating "secret societies" (e.g., the Illuminati and the Bilderberg Group). After 911 I was, like most others, caught up in the moment and I wanted to nuke the entire middle east. But since about 2007 I have become far more skeptical about what REALLY happened and am mostly convinced it was a false flag op to empower the state and take away more of our liberties. About a year ago a friend introduced me to a few books in the Austrian School and Libertarian thought. I finally found where I fit and where I can learn and grow now. And I have found an amazing group of like-minded thinkers. About a month ago, After 30 years of being a Reuplican, I changed my party affiliation to Libertarian. I comit to never again, vote for the "lesser of two evils".

MY QUESTION

Is there anyone else here interested in/discussing practical application of Austrian Economics in respect to preparedness for the tough times we expect ahead?

Thank you.

Chris

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 6,595
nandnor replied on Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:04 AM

The doomer end-of-the-world board is at doomers.us Wrong place here for that stuff

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Welcome to the forums.

The conventional wisdom is if you are rich, buy gold and silver; if you are poor buy canned food. Get a dog and a shotgun.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 871
Points 15,025
chloe732 replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 11:29 PM

cstreeter,

Welcome to the forum. 

Your story is very similar to mine, but I never served in the military.  I read the Creature from Jekyll Island around 2006.  Like you, that was a turning point for me.  But I am cautious not to get caught up in conspiracy theories.  Folks around here are quick to reject nonsense, what is valued is truth. 

What books from the Austrian tradition have you read?

Without knowing, I offer my unsolicited advice:  Read the basics, and read them thoroughly, cover to cover, and ask questions.  Don't attempt more difficult works until you feel that you have a good handle on the basics.  There are so many resources here it's unbelievable.  The video lectures are especially valuable to a newcomer, I think.   This is truly a website dedicated to advancing Austrian scholarship.

Again, welcome.  Hope to see you contribute to the forum. 

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
cstreeter replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 12:54 AM

Are manners expected here?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 21
Points 405
John replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 9:15 AM

No worries, when things become chaotic it takes time for people to rediscover what is real or false, the steps one has taken and learned in time must also take time to learn again the difference between truth and belief. Some memories are so new and real that time hasn't given one self chance enough to make a choice between what is seen and not, how we act perhaps becomes the truth of ones belief in uncertain times.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^Manners? No. But some basic etiquette as in you can't talk like your texting. Also try not to make too many bold statements without backing it up, because people will instantly debate you.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Smiling Dave:
The conventional wisdom is if you are rich, buy gold and silver; if you are poor buy canned food. Get a dog and a shotgun.
I'd also add to make sure you learn about your surroundings, your geography, your flora and fauna...  doesn't take much capital to increase your awareness of these things.  :)

Admittedly, I don't know about how much my "austrian economic" tendency played a part in my "prepper" status... I think I realized them both simultaneously.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
cstreeter replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:54 PM

I'd qualify this statement (made by Nandnor) as an over-reaction to a reasonably asked question. If the "newbie" group isn't a place to ask questions about topics one is interested in, where might be a better place? Or we're you just being a condescending blow-hard?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 130
cstreeter replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:59 PM

Hi chloe732 -

I have read Hazlett's "Economics in One Lesson" and have listened to part of Mises' "Human Action" on YouTube. I have also read "End The Fed" by Ron Paul and I am currently reading Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism".

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS