Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What's your age and and income/job?

rated by 0 users
This post has 117 Replies | 28 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220
SirThinkALot Posted: Mon, Aug 30 2010 4:11 PM

if you feel comfortable posting that information.  I'm mostly curious since theres a stereotype about libertarians as the rich looking out for their own interests(no I dont think its true...)

Anywho I'm 24, I work at furniture store and write comics when I'm off.  I make about $27,000 a year from my 'regular' job and another $2,000-$3,000 from comic sales(although that figure continues to grow).  

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 290
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

26, I spy on homeowner's for the banks.  It's a horrible depressing job I accidentally fell into before I fully understood what was going on.  And none of my over 20 applications and 5 resumes I have sent out have hit yet.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 39
Points 535
MPP replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 4:31 PM

I'm 29, PhD student, making grad student pay (sigh....). To get a better idea:

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1086

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 3,900
Gipper replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 4:50 PM

I'm 26 and a physical therapist, own and operate a private practice with an associate. I gross around 250k, but don't let that fool you...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145

19 and starting school in September.

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

20 (almost 21), college student and about to become a realtor. 

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:18 PM

I'm 30 and I'm a computer engineer. I'm looking for a way to break out of the statistical average. I know I'm much smarter than all but one or two of my peers but on paper I'm just a bachelor's + 5 years experience. Within the company, the only way to break out of the bell curve is to kiss ass and go into management. But that's a losing game, too, in the long run.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 98
Points 2,205

I'm 27 in my last year of college as a finance major. My wife makes all the moneysmiley

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

21, I work at Disneyland at the bottom of the ladder. Want discounted tickets? Haha.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Telpeurion:

21, I work at Disneyland at the bottom of the ladder. Want discounted tickets? Haha.

Yes.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

People are usually so enthusiastic until I tell them that I'll need their credit card number to buy the voucher. Oops.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:48 PM

Teleperurion!  I am friends with this girl Ruth who works at The Tower in Disneyland.  We went to the same college at one time.

I got a BS in Mech Eng back in March. I'm 24 I think...   Underemployed at this chemical manufacturing plant as an operator for ~ $13/hr.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:48 PM

1st year Mechanical engineering student, might end up going either co-op or MS/BS, have to wait till second semester to decide..

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 5:58 PM

I highly recommend the co-op.  But I don't know what MS/BS refers to :)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

Wibee, I don't think I know her. There are 30,000, give or take, cast members and I know less than 30.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:25 PM

I'm 23 and a Financial Economics major, International Economics minor. I work for UPS part-time and I make $14/hour (although I'm trying to find a different job). 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:16 PM

MS/BS is Masters and Bachelors of Science, but I'd have to stay and extra year, its a "Fast Track" program for engineering majors- so I'd walk out of school a little less than 5 years from know with only what experience I could get in the summers, but have both a Masters and Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering.  I don't think I'd go this path as some of my scholarships will run out after 4...

but the co-op is a "3 in 4" where its 3 semseter co-op in 4 yrs of school.. something I know will be nice... help pay down some of these loans now, not later at 12 points above market...

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 11:10 PM

@Wibee: You are definitely underpaid. A close friend of mine received an offer from Exxon just out of school (BS Mech Eng from Oregon State University) for $68K. Granted, this was before the market went down in flames in 08/09. I recommend you start sending your resume to companies in the petroleum industry.

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 47
Points 1,450
fourthand1 replied on Mon, Aug 30 2010 11:54 PM

I'm 30 and I'm a computer engineer. I'm looking for a way to break out of the statistical average. I know I'm much smarter than all but one or two of my peers but on paper I'm just a bachelor's + 5 years experience. Within the company, the only way to break out of the bell curve is to kiss ass and go into management. But that's a losing game, too, in the long run.

Clayton -

That makes two of us only I have just two years experience. What field are you in?

Live free or die
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

Twenty-three and unemployed. Well, I've been doing freelance videography and have at least one ongoing project for the rest of the year, but I'm still looking for stable, conventional employment.

Until then, I deserve free money!

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:06 AM

I'm still looking for stable, conventional employment.

I understand the desire to have the comfort of that bi-monthly paycheck but I think, on the whole, it's an illusion. Maybe you're in the wrong industry, but working for an employer won't make your life any more secure in real terms. Since you're already outside the system, I recommend you work on finding a way to grow your income (and thereby increase its stability) without having to give in to the system. The system is pure evil, stay out if you can.

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 345
Points 7,035
Jesse replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:39 AM

Telpeurion:

Where do you live? I live in Fullerton, a few miles north of Disneyland.

I Samuel 8

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

Riverside and Orange.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 345
Points 7,035
Jesse replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 2:17 AM

Telpeurion:

Riverside and Orange.

Awesome.

I Samuel 8

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

24, electro-mechanical technician, around 30-35,000 take home.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

29, Adjunct Math Professor & Mental Health Counselor--->Between55-65k

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

I understand the desire to have the comfort of that bi-monthly paycheck but I think, on the whole, it's an illusion. Maybe you're in the wrong industry, but working for an employer won't make your life any more secure in real terms. Since you're already outside the system, I recommend you work on finding a way to grow your income (and thereby increase its stability) without having to give in to the system. The system is pure evil, stay out if you can.

Heh, yea I agree...I'm actually working on making enough from comic sales to be able to quit my 'regular' job.  

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 520

24, Software engineer, $55-65K.

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 520

To you fellow Orange County people. I live in Tustin and work in Irvine. We might want to start up an Orange County Mises meetup group...might be fun.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 414
Points 5,255
Saan replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:06 PM

29, Corporate Security 39,000-45,000/ year.  (depends on bonuses)

Criminals, there ought to be a law.

Criminals there ought to be a whole lot more.   Bon Scott.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 342
Points 6,665

23, attempting to start up a video game company with my old roommates. I just got my BS in software engineering, and my roommates got theirs in Graphic Design and Game Design. Current income, about 5200 a year.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 3,955
yuberries replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:27 PM

Almost 22, unemployed, trying to get started on programming.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 199
Points 3,930

24 yeard old and from England. I left school at 16 and went straight into work. I took many entry level and temporary office jobs, but either quit or got fired from all of them. I am living in Alabama at the moment, and have returned to college. For financial reasons, I decided to do my first two years at a community college. I am a sophomore and attempting to finish my "core classes", or whatever they're called. I have been earning money in the mean time labouring and working at a local gas station.

A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 740

30 years old

BS. Computer Science

Master of Information Systems

Working as a software engineer at a real estate asset management company -> $75k per year.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 342
Points 6,665

Jeez, 6 of us are coders. Is there something about creating code that makes you libertarian?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 3,955
yuberries replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:35 PM

^ IT is the most unregulated market at the moment IMO

Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 870
Willink replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 10:47 PM

19, College Student (Economics and Political Science double major), plan is to stagger onward to law school; currently employed at a theme park seasonally while school is out. Spending money (I am a saving machine) goes toward an ever growing collection of liberty reading material. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785
Telpeurion replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:33 PM

Gabriel, sure. Send me a PM.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Lol I almost went into software coding. I was going to go to a school specifically for programming but at the last 3 months of my high school career decided to go to a regular college for English.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 11:43 PM

Jeez, 6 of us are coders. Is there something about creating code that makes you libertarian?

Another one, here. Currently doing my MSc. in computer and information science. I need to get into the work world soon enough. I think it'll be much more worth my time.

Page 1 of 3 (118 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS