Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is the Difference Between Territorial Property and a State?

rated by 0 users
This post has 103 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Clayton:
First, there is the idea that conflict-free use of physical resources requires division of those resources, in space and time, along boundaries of exclusive use.

Granted.  I far as I can tell, two individuals cannot occupy the same physical space simultaneously.

Or, more generally, if you say, "I believe that someone who has taken a wallet which is not rightfully theirs (where "rightfully" is defined by conditions A, B and C) ought to give it back" you are simply expressing a generalized preference.

And right and wrong in this statement of preference is fixed.  As long as A, B, and C remain the criteria for justification (ie, your ideology does not shift), than any action will be measured by criteria A, B, C, rather than a case by case evaluation of available means/desired ends.  The end will always be satisfying A, B, and C.  This is the reason why I am so confused as to how praxeology and absolute moral norms can be applied simultaneously.

What makes normative statements different than other kinds of subjective preferences is that their domain of action is often physical force or violence.

I see the difference as the rigidity of absolute moral norms, over simple preferences which shift according to personal want.  No matter how much I covet your wallet, Thou shalt not steal!  Now, I can understand considering norms when a specific goal is in mind,

"I want to retire at age 50"

"You should invest in a Roth IRA a soon as possible"

This makes sense to me.  A prescriptive statement specifically tailored to achieve your stated goal.  On the other hand, a statement such as,

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife"

Is prescriptive wihtout any consideration for personal preference, or specific situations.  It simply is "true" with no validation, except a circular appeal to absolute laws of "right" and "wrong".

OK Clayton, this part confused me a bit,

Property emerged from the preference of individuals to fight rather than give up what they considered to be rightfully their own. The rules that have emerged are the result of many such battles fought and either won or lost by the attacker or defender.

OK, moral norms arose out of disputes, sort of a might makes right argument.  But then,

The capacity for physical violence alone is not sufficient to explain the rule set which has emerged for the negotiation of boundaries between EUZs (property boundaries).

You seem to be contradicting yourself.  What then, besides victory in dispute, is the other "X factor" in the emergence of society's (western Humanism with Christian seasoning) norms?

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:54 AM

Jackson LaRose:

Not without revolt.

Yeah.

Jackson LaRose:

Then I may've misinterpreted your point.  I thought jails were the distinction.

The distinction was that, a territorial property owner gets all of his power from being able to force you to leave, whereas a state property owner gets all of his power from being able to force you to stay. Being thrown in a prison was just one example of being forced to stay somewhere on their property. Slavery is another example of that. They are two example of ways of forcing you to stay, if you know what I mean.

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

I. Ryan:
The distinction was that, a territorial property owner gets all of his power from being able to force you to leave, whereas a state property owner gets all of his power from being able to force you to stay.

But in either case, the superiority of power must belong to the property owner/state.  So the distinction does not exist until the owner/state decies how they will utilize their superiority of force?

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:26 PM

Clayton:
First, there is the idea that conflict-free use of physical resources requires division of those resources, in space and time, along boundaries of exclusive use.

Granted. I far as I can tell, two individuals cannot occupy the same physical space simultaneously.

Or, more generally, if you say, "I believe that someone who has taken a wallet which is not rightfully theirs (where "rightfully" is defined by conditions A, B and C) ought to give it back" you are simply expressing a generalized preference.

And right and wrong in this statement of preference is fixed. As long as A, B, and C remain the criteria for justification (ie, your ideology does not shift), than any action will be measured by criteria A, B, C, rather than a case by case evaluation of available means/desired ends.

You're focusing on the wrong issue. The point is that it is an expression of preference. The fixity of that preference is irrelevant to the point I was making.

The end will always be satisfying A, B, and C. This is the reason why I am so confused as to how praxeology and absolute moral norms can be applied simultaneously.

I don't think the word "absolute" makes sense when applied to moral norms unless you can have "absolute" preferences for other kinds of things. What is an absolute preference for apples over oranges? I don't think I know what that means.

What makes normative statements different than other kinds of subjective preferences is that their domain of action is often physical force or violence.

I see the difference as the rigidity of absolute moral norms, over simple preferences which shift according to personal want.

But people's moral evaluations also change over time. I don't see any difference. I don't know what "rigidity" is with respect to moral norms.

No matter how much I covet your wallet, Thou shalt not steal!

So what? Someone wrote "thou shalt not steal." You care why?

OK Clayton, this part confused me a bit,

Property emerged from the preference of individuals to fight rather than give up what they considered to be rightfully their own. The rules that have emerged are the result of many such battles fought and either won or lost by the attacker or defender.

OK, moral norms arose out of disputes, sort of a might makes right argument. But then,

The capacity for physical violence alone is not sufficient to explain the rule set which has emerged for the negotiation of boundaries between EUZs (property boundaries).

You seem to be contradicting yourself. What then, besides victory in dispute, is the other "X factor" in the emergence of society's (western Humanism with Christian seasoning) norms?

Moral norms emerged from the resolution of disputes but moral norms do not themselves boil down to "who can win the fight?" In other words, I believe that there is a progression in the social order from one that, in early human history, was dominated by the simple question of who possesses superior physical force to today where the question is much more complicated than this. Who wins an argument is heavily dependent on the rightness or wrongness of the actions of the individuals involved in the dispute. In other words, norms matter more than physical force in many cases.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:34 PM

On the other hand, if there is some value-free distinction, I am all ears (or eyes).

Within context, value-free distinctions can be made, such as in an economic context in which we just examine material "stuff" moving from one place to another and the reults and consequences of the  "stuff" on the external enivronment after such a transaction took place. 

But if you were to ask what the difference between a landowner and a Prince was, distinctions can be made in a certain context.  "Prince" may  imply perhaps a different style of hierarchical position and power base than a landowner.  To be a land owner, one must simply own land in some recognizable context; to be a prince, well that definition can be a bit more subtle and nuanced I think.  It still all depends on context to be sure, to make such distinctions.  But in so much as one can usefully seperate things into different catagories and than communicate the idea it does become a "legit" difference.  Democrats and Republicans may share an awful lot of similarities, and may all be politicians; but they can be different, they can be usefully catagorized into those two seperate entities at times.

Context that can be communicated and effectively observerd or predictied within logical frameworks is where we can start making objective distinctions based off the framework.  Everything else is all custom, aesthetic, legal theory, or some other practiced art.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:01 PM

Look, there's no piddling around about it. A prince/State/slaveholder is objectively different than a landowner/producer. The landowner/producer is not parasitic on others, the prince/State/slaveowner is. If we want to put it in evolutionary language, the prince/State/slaveholder is a cuckolder, he forces other males to devote their energy to the propagation of his genes. The landowner/producer devotes his own energy to the propagation of his own genes.

Can it possibly be more clear?

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Clayton:
The point is that it is an expression of preference. The fixity of that preference is irrelevant to the point I was making.

OK, fair enough.

What is an absolute preference for apples over oranges? I don't think I know what that means.

Sorry for the confusion.  Let's use your analogy:

An absolute preference for apples over oranges would read something like this:

It is right to prefer apples.

It is wrong not to prefer apples.

Doesn't matter what you are trying to accomplish, it is always a correct action to prefer apples.  Want to make orange juice?  Want some strawberry shortcake?  Then you are wrong.  Apples are what you should want, in any circumstance (according to the Appleist ideology).  Call this tenant "A" of Appleism.  Now among Appleists, there are different factions.  The Red Appleists, and the Green Appleists.  They disagree on what constitutes "true" apples.  Say we are Red Appleists.  Red apples are the "true" apples in any case, making the green apples "false" apples.  Call this tenant "B" of Red Appleism.  Now even among the Red Appleists there is some disagreement about what constitutes "true" apples.  There is the Braeburnite sect of Red Appleism, and the Red Deliciousite sect of Red Appleism.  We are Red Deliciousites.  We have faith that no matter what may happen, it is "truth" that we have the actual knowledge of the true nature of the Apple, and it is Red Delicious only, making all other varieties of Red apples "Un-Apples".  Call this tenant "C" of the Red Deliciousite sect of Red Appleism.

Whew!  OK, now if so, so what?

Now you are taking conformity to criterias A, B, and C as "right", and non-conformity as "wrong", in any circumstance.  Starving in a room with only green apples?  It's still wrong to do.  It is the primacy of the doctrine, regardless of circumstances, which makes it absolute; a "law" if you will (in the sense of a scientific law).

But people's moral evaluations also change over time. I don't see any difference. I don't know what "rigidity" is with respect to moral norms.

An analogy I can think of is Stirner's idea of "revolution" vs. "insurrection".  Revolution is akin to the conversion you mentioned.  The rules may change, but the fact that there are rules at all is not questioned.  Moral agnosticism is more like insurrection.  It is the direct questioning of why there are rules, rather than what the rules are.  Make sense?

Who wins an argument is heavily dependent on the rightness or wrongness of the actions of the individuals involved in the dispute. In other words, norms matter more than physical force in many cases.

But this begs the question,

How did the norms of today come to be accepted?  How are they enforced?

You seem to be implying that force is necessary to adopt norms, and to maintain them, but for some reason, you are reluctant to commit to this notion.  Why?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Clayton,

You can see no reciprocity between Lord and Serf?  Check this out:

Look, there's no piddling around about it. A Capitalist/boss/bourgeois is objectively different than a worker/wage slave/proletariat. The worker/wage slave/proletariat is not parasitic on others, the Capitalist/boss/bourgeois is. If we want to put it in evolutionary language, the Capitalist/boss/bourgeois is a cuckolder, he forces other males to devote their energy to the propagation of his genes. The worker/wage slave/proletariat devotes his own energy to the propagation of his own genes.

Can it possibly be more clear?

Jackson -

This is a nothing but a fantastical appeal to emotion.  Honestly, I expected better.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Jackson, your rewrite changes the context.  Not your best work.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Liberty Student:
Jackson, your rewrite changes the context.

How so?

Not your best work.

LOL, yeah, probably deserve that one...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 1:53 PM

This is a nothing but a fantastical appeal to emotion. Honestly, I expected better.

There is no appeal to emotion whatsoever. The devotion of the energies of some individuals to the propagation of the genes of other individuals is objectively definable as genetic parasitism or cuckoldry. If I knock up your wife without your knowledge and you put 18 years into raising my son, I have cuckolded you, I have tricked you into propagating my genes. There's nothing emotional about that.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Clayton,

I understand, but to claim that the state is simply a parasite is being far too simplistic.  Following this line of reasoning, we may just as easily claim that capitalists are parasites on the workers (which is what my satirical paraphrase was meant to convey).  This vague reductionism seems to be an appeal to a more visceral, emotional, reactionary part of the mind, like almost all of the left's rhetoric.

Why don't you consider land-owners "parasites"?  What of landlords?

Why do you not consider employers cuckold as well?

If there is a clear dichotomy, please describe the transition point at which a landowner becomes a prince, and a share-cropper becomes a slave.  What is the distinction, beside some vague claim of parasitism?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 5:51 PM

I understand, but to claim that the state is simply a parasite is being far too simplistic.  Following this line of reasoning, we may just as easily claim that capitalists are parasites on the workers (which is what my satirical paraphrase was meant to convey).  This vague reductionism seems to be an appeal to a more visceral, emotional, reactionary part of the mind, like almost all of the left's rhetoric.

That line of reasoning fails as one relationship is voluntary while the other isn't.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 5:54 PM

Jackson LaRose:

But in either case, the superiority of power must belong to the property owner/state.  So the distinction does not exist until the owner/state decies how they will utilize their superiority of force?

Yeah, and the whole argument of anarcho-capitalism is that it would always be a better idea for somebody to use their power in the first way (as a territorial property owner) instead of in the second way (as a state property owner), provided that they have a long enough time horizon, don't have any desires like wanting to kill people as an end in itself, and so on.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

A prince/State/slaveholder is objectively different than a landowner/producer. The landowner/producer is not parasitic on others, the prince/State/slaveowner is.

Surely you're not including feudal landowners in this description?

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Jackson LaRose:

Liberty Student:
Jackson, your rewrite changes the context.
How so?

Angurse:
That line of reasoning fails as one relationship is voluntary while the other isn't.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:53 PM

Angurse:

Most X* would gladly let you leave if you don't like their terms (laws, bylaws, rules). No X would allow you to set your own rules on (any part of) their land.

*X = king, lord, state, landowner, capitalist, corporation, co-op, etc.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 4:44 PM

A prince/State/slaveholder is objectively different than a landowner/producer. The landowner/producer is not parasitic on others, the prince/State/slaveowner is.

A prince is objectively different from a land owner within various language games and context.  In the context of capitalistic property theory and language, they are objectively different, in the context of some random dude who hates them both equally because they both like the color red, are of nationality X, or whatever; or under the court of law in country Y there is perhaps no real difference.

"Prince", "landowner", etc these are legal and customary words that is all, they are not mystical or monolithic terms.  As far as the socio-biological narritives, they are as meaningful as any other narritive I could concoct.  Science makes a wonderful employee, but an awful owner.  The narrative is of no concern unless it puts me in a position to manipulate the data to my advantage, it does no such thing in this case.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Oct 3 2010 1:36 AM

@William: Yes, I am using words like "prince" and "landowner" in a very high-level way which is subject to a great deal of interpretation. However, the difference between landowner and prince is no more fuzzy than the difference between aggressor and victim. Sure, in the boundary cases it can get complicated but these words all have well-understood meanings.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 1:29 AM

Jackson LaRose:

Merlin:
Thus, as long as property rights are homogeneously applied for everyone (i.e. the state doesn’t get to cheat), there is no differcne between the state and a property holder.

But this begs the question,

How to enforce property rights?

That is an other, utilitarian, question. What I’m saying is that, applying the NAP consistently, the state could become justified now (assume away the issue of past violence) by just stopping to enforce exit taxes/bans and eminent domain and rebranding itself as a mutual company. Whether such a system, i.e. anarchy, would work or not and how it would evolve, that is something else. But the state can become justified only under such conditions, I think.

As for the more general question of how would property be defined, I feel that any definition that is consistently applied to every actor (state included) should, at least initially, do. Of course, in time I’m certain that the libertarian position of NAP+homesteading would become the norm.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Angurse:

You can't move from one state to another?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

I. Ryan:
Yeah, and the whole argument of anarcho-capitalism is that it would always be a better idea for somebody to use their power in the first way (as a territorial property owner) instead of in the second way (as a state property owner), provided that they have a long enough time horizon, don't have any desires like wanting to kill people as an end in itself, and so on.

What axiom proves that it would always be more advantageous to follow property rights and the NAP?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Stranger,

I'll have to check out that link.  Interesting distinction between the state and the government...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

z1235,

+1.  That's what I was thinking.  If I walked into someone's house and started making a PB+J, I don't think it would take me very long to be forcibly ejected.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Clayton:
However, the difference between landowner and prince is no more fuzzy than the difference between aggressor and victim.

Why do you consider the state the aggressor?  How is the state functioning any differently than a landlord?  We live on the state's claimed property (rightly or wrongly, depending on what ideological lens you are viewing through), and as a result of being allowed to do so, we must pay rent, or be banished from society (exile, jail, etc.).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

Jackson LaRose:
Clayton:
However, the difference between landowner and prince is no more fuzzy than the difference between aggressor and victim.

Why do you consider the state the aggressor? How is the state functioning any differently than a landlord? We live on the state's claimed property (rightly or wrongly, depending on what ideological lens you are viewing through), and as a result of being allowed to do so, we must pay rent, or be banished from society (exile, jail, etc.).

Landlord jails Tenant for non-payment of rent?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Jackson LaRose:
Why do you consider the state the aggressor?  How is the state functioning any differently than a landlord?  We live on the state's claimed property (rightly or wrongly, depending on what ideological lens you are viewing through), and as a result of being allowed to do so, we must pay rent, or be banished from society (exile, jail, etc.).

And where did we consent to be jailed, fined, etc. when found in violation of the state's rules?

If your point is that we're already serfs on the state's land, I happen to agree.  Manorialism never really left us -- the fiefdoms simply got bigger.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 11:26 AM

nvm, my mistake

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 12:01 PM

States are aggressive monopolists on arbitration. Territory has good historical corellation with states, but we can imagine states that have no well defined territory, or share territories.

For a loose example, consider a government owned boat. The boat is always moving. You can argue that the boat is territory... but this at least breaks up the land-argument.

Also consider that it is in principle possible for there to be a government that has no defined territory. An example might be what if the catholic church decided all its members were now its citizens, and they had to pay yearly tithes or else the Catholic church would come out and get them. The Church would be an aggressive monopoly, but non-territorial.

Lastly, Governments frequently overlap in jurisdiction, such as the case with Lebanon and Syrian governments. So even if you think states are territorial, it surely doesn't mean much if more than one state can occupy any given region.

This thread was created because we fight so often against statism. We should really be focused on ALL arguments against aggression. The only reason we argue against states so much, as opposed to non-institutional aggression, is because all the aggression-apologists hide behind statism.

Don't buy their premise. This is not state vs no state. It's aggression vs peace. Territory doesn't make a lick of difference.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Think Blue:

Meh, jail is where you banish people when your neighbors don't want him around either.  The end result remains:  forcible exclusion.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Autolykos:
And where did we consent to be jailed, fined, etc. when found in violation of the state's rules?

Nowhere, explicitly.  Although there is an argument to be made that by living within the realm of the landowner, you are implicitly agreeing to the arangement.

If your point is that we're already serfs on the state's land, I happen to agree.  Manorialism never really left us -- the fiefdoms simply got bigger.

That's sort of the conclusion I've been led towards as this thread progressed, but it still seems an incomplete thought.  This is why I've been "stuck" on feudalism; it appears to be the system of rule which slips back and forth between anarchic land ownership, and the birth of statism.  I still cannot axiomatically discern the two.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Fred Furash,

I believe your summation concentrates on a false dichotomy, i.e. the state claims on property is equivalent and rival to your claim.  We all live on someone else's property: the state's.  We merely are renters on the King's (landlord's) or the Parliment's (corporate) claimed property.  My question is what factor distinguishes the two. 

It can't be force, since proprieters are justified (by an-cap ideology) in utilizing force in defense, and in the enforcement of norms (private courts).  It can't be simple claims of territorial monopoly (justified via property rights).  It could be both a monopoly on territory and law (in said territory) as Stranger suggested, but this seems to ignore the effect of majoritarianism might have on private courts.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Sieben,

So you consider the distinction to be "aggression/non-aggression"?  Interesting, although I find it tricky to understand "aggression" vs. "non-aggression".  Is some force still justified to you, or are you a pacifist?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

Jackson LaRose:
Think Blue:

Meh, jail is where you banish people when your neighbors don't want him around either. The end result remains: forcible exclusion.

How about if the Landlord jails the Tenant on the Landlord's own property?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Think Blue:

How about it? We can't (in the US) just ship those dtermined to be detrimental to Canada or Mexico, so we "banish" them in-house.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

Jackson LaRose:
Think Blue:

How about it? We can't (in the US) just ship those dtermined to be detrimental to Canada or Mexico, so we "banish" them in-house.

Why not?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 1:34 PM

Jackson LaRose:

What axiom proves that it would always be more advantageous to follow property rights and the NAP?

I already said that I didn't mean that they would mean that it would always be more advantageous to be a non-state property owner, than to be a state property owner, because you could have a high enough time preference, a really anti-social ultimate desire, and so on, which would make it more advantageous to you to be a state property owner. But nothing less than whether society can exist depends on people like that always being the minority.

And I wouldn't call the arguments showing that it would be, for most people, more advantageous to be a non-state property owner, than a state property owner; but those arguments are ones which I don't understand very well, such as the knowledge problem, the calculation problem, and so on. I wasn't saying that I could make the arguments in full detail right now, but just that those arguments, saying that it would, for most people, be more advantageous to be a non-state property owner, than be a state property owner, are at the heart of anarcho-capitalism, and could even be called the whole basis for anarcho-capitalism.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Jackson LaRose:
Nowhere, explicitly.  Although there is an argument to be made that by living within the realm of the landowner, you are implicitly agreeing to the arangement.

Really?  There is?  How so?

Jackson LaRose:
That's sort of the conclusion I've been led towards as this thread progressed, but it still seems an incomplete thought.  This is why I've been "stuck" on feudalism; it appears to be the system of rule which slips back and forth between anarchic land ownership, and the birth of statism.  I still cannot axiomatically discern the two.

FYI, no axiom can be proven correct.  Axioms can only be accepted as givens or rejected.

So someone like me can easily discern between anarchic land ownership and statism, namely based on the presence of aggression.  If one holds another captive on his land without the other's consent, for example, that's aggression -- as I understand the term.

Another difference between anarchic land ownership and statism deals with inheritance of servitude.  Under the former, a person could become an indentured servant (albeit not permanently), but his children wouldn't automatically inherit his debt.

I guess things like these are why I think there's an all-too-strong connection between the state and kinship structures.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Think Blue,

They probably don't want them, either.  I suppose the US could start doing that, but we probably wouldn't stay friends with Canada or Mexico for very long...

Page 2 of 3 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS