Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ideas on how to argue for abolition of retirement pensions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795
Andris Birkmanis Posted: Fri, Oct 1 2010 5:36 AM

When discussing evils of governments with people, one issue keeps popping up - "but the government provides for the old!".

While I have a lot of arguments, like the government's stolen from these old when they were young, preventing them from saving for themselves; or that in a freer economy people would have much more money to spend on charity, this usually sounds too feeble, resulting in people believing I am just a cruel person.

The question is: has anyone found a punchline, a very strong and quickly acting argument for banishing (mandatory) government-run pension plans?

PS: it is a separate issue how to implement the transition away from mandatory pension. Personally I believe in a gradual transition.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,530

And social security is a Ponzi Scheme 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The wealthiest age demographic in society is the old.  They have more money and more free time than people who work.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS