Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What kind of music do Austrians listen to?

rated by 0 users
This post has 319 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 8:47 AM

Skyclad - The Parliament of Fools

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:07 PM

The Killers are releasing a new album this fall. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOeImx0kW4

Their last album was no where near as good as Hot Fuss or Sam's Town, but it had its moments (I liked Dustland Fairy Tale). So I am excited this one comming. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:19 PM

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Loretta Lynn. Aside from decent music, I think it also represents a window into a certain time and place and its mode of thinking and values, and perhaps into womens' way of seeing things.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 6:14 PM

A Tumblr I have that focuses on a variety of not so popular acoustic music (neofolk, prog folk, alt-country, etc.)

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I currently like Lupe Fisco's Streets on Fire and I am also really liking the White Stripes (My Doorbell, Denial Twist, Fell in Love with a Girl)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Riot Folk?

Syndicalist yes, but i like the anti government message.

Just a chill guy with a guitar.

Econstories?

Keynes vs hayek Rap songs?

Maybe a little of that what is it called

the dubstep?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 5:34 PM

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Things I'm listening to this week:

Franz Liszt's solo piano transcription of Carl Weber's Konzertstück (repeatedly.  I will master playing this piece of music or die in the attempt)

The Who: Who's Next

The Company Band: self-titled album

Pucho & His Latin Soul Brothers: Rip a Dip

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

I was obsessed with that specific album 6 months ago.   Mingus is awesome, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady  is one of the greates things I have ever heard.  He is one of the few Jazz greats I really "get".  Maybe because he is so compositional, and that's more my thing. I keep telling people his name (and Duke Ellington and a few others) ought to be compared to people like Ravel and Debussey as well as Coltrane and Parker

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 440
Mens Rea replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:40 PM

Deep House anyone?

http://soundcloud.com/stratospherik/pablo-fierro-just-break-it-alvaro-hylander-remix

http://soundcloud.com/ripperton/till-dawn-podcast-1-ripperton-live-at-killing-time-melbourne-2010

(LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES UNLESS YOU HAVE GOOD COMPUTER SPEAKERS SO YOU CAN ENJOY THE GROOVE :)  )

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

@ vive, I totally agree.  I would have named all those others, too, if you hadn't!  I've learned that most music I will eventually love starts out a little offputting to my ear.  Pithecanthropus Erectus was my first (and thus far, only other) Mingus album.  There's just so much to dig into.  Coltrane and Monk, same thing.  BTW, my parrot's clear favorite album of all the music I own is Ellington at Newport.  He dances, improvises solos, marches around...Such Sweet Thunder is a close second.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Anything but metal. And I don't mean hard rock. I mean heavy distortion, double kick drums, and screaming.

That's the stuff that I associate with chain-adorned Hot Topic pants and being an awkward teen.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Also, does anyone know why John James, who seems to be a very well-informed and intelligent person, has a picture of Akon as his avatar? There's something that just doesn't quite add up in that equation...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:45 PM

I've often wondered the same.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 3:20 PM

Listen to it all the way through once - I promise it will be six minutes of your life you won't regret.

Of course, there's his all-famous Lacrimosa from Requiem, a staple of movie soundtracks:

And while we're at it:

The circle of fifths rules all.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 3:44 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:25 PM

Romantic music + Piano = Heaven

Some of the great romantic era piano concertos...

Chopin's 1st piano concerto... filled with fire and youthful energy, it was written when Chopin was still in his teens at the very beginning is his career. Chopin's artistic repertoire was already overflowing and it only matured with age.

Most of Dvorak's music is so beautiful and refreshing it's like a splash of cold water in the face. The second movement from his piano concerto is no exception.

Saint-Saens's piano concerto just starts right out with the theme and grabs your attention immediately.

Grieg's piano concerto is one of the most listened-to concertos of the romantic era. The opening is jarring and yet beautiful at the same time.

Tchaikovsky is a composer with an enduring voice; Ivo Pogorelich is perhaps the best pianist in the world not only in terms of his peerless technical ability but also in the depth and care of his interpretations, particularly with an eye to conveying the music to the audience in the most effective manner, something that is incredibly rare nowadays. His "accessible" interpretations of the piano repertoire have made him persona non grata with the classical music establishment which prides itself on impeccably mediocre interpretation.

What can be said about Rach 2 that hasn't been said. It doesn't just grab your attention, it punches you in the face right from the first line and doesn't let up for the rest of the first movement.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:07 AM

Local band Moutheater that I did not find out about til recently, which is absurd.  Steve Albini helped record their first EP (which is also pretty crazy).  I suppose you could listen to their albums in chronological order, but right now I'm pretty hooked on their No Ballet EP.

Anything but metal. And I don't mean hard rock. I mean heavy distortion, double kick drums, and screaming.

That's the stuff that I associate with chain-adorned Hot Topic pants and being an awkward teen.

1. You're ill informed on metal.  2. Jackasses at Hot Topic have nothing to do with it.

For example, Faustian black metal by Agalloch, some Electric Wizard, some Neurosis, some Sunn O))), but I digress...

Just because it has heavy distortion (a lot of bands/genres can/do), or double kick drums (again, a lot do), and screaming (this ranges from every punk sub genre to every metal sub genre and everything in between) doesn't mean it sucks (which is sort of what you are indirectly saying).  Post-metal, black metal, post-hardcore, stoner metal, and even some shoegaze, so yeah...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:10 PM

Great song, great movie

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 760
Maynard replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 1:25 AM

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:33 PM

What is up with the CLASSICAL music? You want some real CLASSIC music? 

Dio. Holy Diver.

http://youtu.be/bkysjcs5vFU

New (Working?) Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:42 PM

@Student: I'm getting old... I watched this (your link doesn't work):

... and all I could think was "these kids today could learn a thing or two from these guys!"

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 8:27 PM

Clayton, 

Haha for real. :)

If you dig classic music AND metal, I am going to guess you are also a fan of prog rock. Yes?

If so, you may like this series Slate is running on the rise, fall, and rebirth of prog rock. Here is the first entry:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/prog_spring/features/2012/prog_rock/history_of_prog_the_nice_emerson_lake_palmer_and_other_bands_of_the_1970s_.html

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 9:17 PM

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 1:25 AM

student:

What is up with the CLASSICAL music? You want some real CLASSIC music? 

Dio. Holy Diver.

Also check out the Holy Diver Big Band Cover of Pat Boone, just awesome (The video isn't original though of course and its not to full length of the song unfortunately...):

My favourite of him is Heaven and Hell from his Black Sabbath days though.

May he rest in peace in Rock Heaven!

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Last week's selections included several Toumani Diabate albums, a Count Basie "best of" compilation, Rush's Permanent Waves, Clutch's Pure Rock Fury, Beethoven's Violin Concerto, and pieces from Schumann's Album for the Young that I'm currently learning on the piano.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'd like to add diversity to the list:

For us computer nerds:

This one has pyramids:

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:53 AM

What a song!

Puscifer with Milla Jovovich - The Mission " M Is for Milla Mix"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 1:18 PM

I like classical, blues, jazz, hip hop, rock, prog rock, metal, death metal, electronic, punk, you name it. If it sounds good to me then I like it.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 2:58 PM

I wouldn't ordinarily think of the Black-Eyed Peas - of Boom Boom Pow fame - as a fount of wisdom but I heard this on the radio this morning on the way to work and really listened to the words for the first time:

It could almost be the theme-song for Rockwellian libertarians.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:25 PM

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

I'm really feeling this band from my neck of the woods in NJ. It's very intricate, upbeat instrumental music. To me, this song just sounds like freedom. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VKFgRRACs

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

[view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCF2RdtLMNQ]

I always wondered if anyone other than left-libertarians were into anarcho-punk. I'm not, but this song about anarcho-punk is one of my current favorites. Especially the part that's like, "Let's try to keep as much emotion out of this as possible." :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Here's my music choices:

Listen to them all, PLEASE.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

I'm on a steady diet of Dvorak chamber music lately.  Two brief breaks for a Benny Goodman collection, and Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

Oh!  And in September I finally forked over for Rush tickets, first time I've been able to see them live.  Caught them at the Prudential Center in N.J.

I must say, it was awesome to see them but that is one crummy sounding stadium.  I bought tickets for my sister and her husband too, and they weren't all that familiar with Rush.  I'm not sure what they got out of it really...but the energy of going to a concert seems to have inspired them to pick up 2112 and Moving Pictures, so I guess I got them on board anyway.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

Armin Van Buuren - ASOT 159

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77fIqOYT_-o

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

On a huge Soundgarden kick right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwDlcx3HWAU

The Day I Tried To Live: One of a classic song by an amazing band.  I usually don't listen to lyrics, but these can be seen as very Austrian (Mayb/probably it's because I am looking at the Legecy of Max Weber, while listening to the song):

It's about being an active human being with an active mind, trying out  different orientations to set to  a plan, how plans often fail (even coordinating the words from the head to voice is problem, something I am very empathetic with), trying to understand and communicate with your surrounding in an inter-subjective manner.  expectations and failed expectations and that no matter what your lot is from the previous ends to the means employed when you wake up you will probably give the whole damn thing another shot, because it is better than being regulated to an ant hill.

Either way it's has one of the most kick ass bass grooves I've heard

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 5:01 PM

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 2:09 AM

Wound up/
Can't sleep/
Can't do anything right, little honey...

The Cult - Fire Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72YszOdxdnM&list=LL-CVACYfoe3LdbKW_X1rRkA

Page 8 of 8 (320 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS