Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hey just another newbie

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520
Williamloveseconomics Posted: Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:34 PM

Hello all, I am glad to see other free marketiers like myself. I have been a supporter of free markets before i really knew how to defend the position. Im only 22, and not even a full year into AE. Yet i feel like i have learned more in the first 3 months learning AE then i did in HS. But right now i feel like im in a plateau of learning. So i am talking one of the mises academy classes. So far, i feel i get what im learning, but then feel im not retaining any of it. Any suggestion? I really wish i could grasp this.

Also, i don't understand the LTV that Bohm Bawerk uses against Marx, or anything to refute marxist ideology. Maybe it is to advanced for me right now, but i see a growing in marxist ideology in the young that i would love to debate/change their views. Thanks again. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

right now, i would suggest to learn about the Economics instead of learning about the critiques that most of us have against Marx because one needs to understand some Economics in order to understand Bawerk's view on Marxism or to understand the Economic Calculation Problem in general. I would suggest reading Economics for Real People http://mises.org/books/econforrealpeople.pdf , Economics in One Lesson http://www.fee.org/pdf/books/Economics_in_one_lesson.pdf , or Lessons For the Young Economist http://mises.org/books/lessons_for_the_young_economist_murphy.pdf ... these books are all free... then after that, you can look into critiques... like Hayek said, "Before we can ask how things might go wrong, we must first explain how they could ever go right"

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

To quote the I Ching,

it is only through repetition that the pupil makes 
the material his own.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 12:09 AM

I highly, highly recommend What Has Government Done to Our Money? by Murray Rothbard.

http://mises.org/money.asp

You need to understand the nature of money for economics in general to make much sense.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

I actually own "Economics in one lesson", but the problem was is wasn't retaining it. So I quit about half way. I also own "Lessons for the young economist." A little of the same problem. So, I took the Class of the on the book and so far im three weeks into it and i still feel like im not retaining it. It is better than when i was just reading the book but i guess repetition will help. The process i do for learning with the class is. 

1) Read chapter before class

2) Listen and take notes in class

3) Reread Chapter 

4) Take class's quiz

Then repeat process. I have noticed a little difference. I guess feeling that im not able to automatically get it from reading it just once makes it a little demoralizing. I bought a lot of these books (HA, MES, the law, tons of books from Rothbard, desoto, hayek, woods, and dilorenzo) and i feel i can't read them. I listen and watch a lot of the audio/videos mises offers as well. I retain a little then my mind starts to think about applying what i just heard into a situtation happening today. Then when i finally stop thinking about that, i notice that i missed out on like 10 minutes to more of the audio. Its really a pain. I thought maybe its my diet so i've been eating really healthy ( i normally do anyway), taking multi-vitamins, and making sure i get plenty of sleep. I don't really know what else to say. I guess im just venting here...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 12:56 AM

You know what, Will, don't sweat it.  I'm kind of in your boat as well.  The first effort I ever made to understand Austrian econ was to watch a video with Rothbard from Mises Media on the topic of the Fed.  Needless to say, it completely went over my head.  I have a solid yet superficial understanding of the Austrian economic theory (I'm more interested in political theory and anarcho-capitalism myself), but if I'm suggesting a course of action, it'd be to keep plugging away.  If you stick around long enough and learn the basics, it'll probably click someday.  I wouldn't underestimate how much latent material you just soak in from being exposed to the material.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 12:57 AM

William Ferrier,

One suggestion would be, since it seems hard to digest the material, is when a specific topic peaks your interest, attack it until you think you got it down pat. Reading an economics book like a novel can be good in some ways but if you find yourself dragging, just put it down, pick up something that interests you more. If you find yourself genuinely puzzled on what the origins of money are, pursue it. Don't feel you have to conquer a book front to back. Overtime, as you get more topics under your belt, you will find yourself looking at the world in a completely different light.

Hope this helps!

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

Thanks everybody. I'll try following the advice mahall gave me. Also when i do start to really fet this down i'll still want help on debunking those marxist.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 1:12 AM

A good start on debunking Marxist economics (kind of a oxymoron)..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_theory_of_value

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS